1812 WAR ROYAL NEWFOUNDLAND FENCIBLES BUTTON

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Its getting pretty cold around here but I had the itch to have a dive. I'm glad I did. My very first hit was my best 1812 button yet. A jacket button of the Royal Newfoundland Fencibles. They fought all over the place and served as Marines on the Great Lakes. There buttons are as rare as hens teeth in this condition. It also has a sweet makers mark. I also found a couple of nice coppers and pommel of an officers sword.

Upvote 20

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic button! I always enjoy seeing your finds from diving, they are preserved so well!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man they don't come any better than that!! Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is incredible! The quality of your finds blows me away

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a dive you had as the button is in amazing condition a real beauty. Nice going on the other stuff as well the 36 reg. button is outstanding along with the navy. Gee the Wellington stood up well and I see what looks like jews Harp hiding there under the tokens. The ramrod and sword hanger alone would make a hunter smile for a week. Congrats!

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a dive you had as the button is in amazing condition a real beauty. Nice going on the other stuff as well the 36 reg. button is outstanding along with the navy. Gee the Wellington stood up well and I see what looks like jews Harp hiding there under the tokens. The ramrod and sword hanger alone would make a hunter smile for a week. Congrats!
Thanks, Its by far my favorite button so far

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My God what a great button!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a fantastic group of finds you got up. I am not sure what a button like that would be worth but I bet someone on this forum will know.

From the Niagara Historical Museum:

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment was raised in 1803 and was brought to Upper Canada during the War of 1812 to serve as Marines on Lakes Erie and Ontario. They also served at Detroit, Fort Erie, Frenchtown, Ogdensburg, York, Miami, Sackett’s Harbour, Fort Stephenson, Putin Bay, Moravian town, Fort George, Lake Erie, the attack on Michilimackinac and the capture of the β€œScorpion” and the β€œTigress”. The commanding Officer of this regiment was Rowland Heathcoate (July 1812- February 1815) Following the war, in 1816, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was also reduced.

ZDD

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations on the ROYAL NEWFOUNDLAND FENCIBLES BUTTON! :o
I also love the Wellington Half Penny and the Anchor Button! :thumbsup:

Dave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may or may not be a banner worthy button so if anyone can put a value on it or provide any more info on it I would appreciate it. Some of these type of buttons can fetch thousands of $$$.
ZDD

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really think that folks don't realize the historical significance to this one single button and the role this one Regiment was to the military effort for its short lived 21 years. Congrats of the find once again on this rare find and should be Banner worthy especially to the members north of the 49th.

War of 1812 - Royal Newfoundland Fencible Regiment - History and Uniform

BTW The vote is in for this button.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, That button is in such nice shape, maybe banner worthy due to the historical factor+ condition and also it's huge rarity. Congrats!

Coinman123,

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse my ignorance to this beautiful button. I just educated myself and that is a hell of a find. I'm voting Banner on it. I'd be happy to have that next to my Tree Coin. I don't want some new ring next it lol. Just kidding jewelry lovers :-)

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse my ignorance to this beautiful button. I just educated myself and that is a hell of a find. I'm voting Banner on it. I'd be happy to have that next to my Tree Coin. I don't want some new ring next it lol. Just kidding jewelry lovers :-)

Thanks Everyone.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Very sweet! Naval button I like very well to!

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may or may not be a banner worthy button so if anyone can put a value on it or provide any more info on it I would appreciate it. Some of these type of buttons can fetch thousands of $$$.
ZDD
Hey, Its a 1808-1812 model Royal Newfoundland Regiment button. What other info can there be? I'm confused why you want to know what it worth??? Do you have one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread