VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tennessee Trio met for a 3 hour hunt yesterday at a U.S. Camp. However, the site turned up some Colonial, CW, & post CW relics. Doug found a brass sash buckle that looks Colonial. I dug a quarter sized silver plated button with shank that had a feather or fern design on the front and a one piece domed brass button (see pic).
Josh dug 2 dropped pistol balls, eagle button back & what could be a brass ramrod. Doug recovered part of what looks like a poker chip made from a bullet, pistol ball, & a brass scabbard tip. I dug a dropped .69 cal. 3 ringer.
As to post CW, I dug a circa 1950 pocketknife and a pewter relic about the size of a half dollar that lists a lot of early 1900s farm equipment and reads “Lace Implement” on the back. Doug believes it was an early 1900s watch fob as it mentions “hay press” & “cream separator” (see pic below buttons). We all dug horse harness relics that could be CW or later.
While Josh & I were on one hill, Doug found 6 iron railroad spikes in one small area that would have been tent sized on the opposite hill. Later, Josh dug a few in the same area. However, no RR was there during the CW. The Tennessee Central RR came there in 1886 so we are puzzled as to how & why they are there on that hill. We hunted a U.S. Colored Troop Camp with Tenn. Digger a couple of years ago and that place was loaded with RR spikes used as tent pegs
Enjoy the video & Happy Thanksgiving from the Trio.

Attachments

• DSCN1392.JPG
    DSCN1392.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN1392 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1392 - Copy.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1398.JPG
    DSCN1398.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 11

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good history savin' there partner!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Mr Q. Hope the Trio and their families have a Happy Thanksgiving.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Nice variety of finds. Really enjoy your videos, gives us folks up north a chance to see civil war relics being dug. Like your intro with the old western movie songs. not many western actors from those old shows still around.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the sharing, Quindy.

Ya know? I think I might would enjoy gettin out with you guys someday.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going on the finds, ya'll! :) And congrats to Coilygirl! 8-)

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Nana
:hello:
Quindy Lisa Nana thanksgiving.jpg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Guys! Congrats to the Tenn Trio on another super relic recovery mission. :occasion14: That's some beautiful countryside Q. Looks even better with those two Hollywood stars standing on it. :tongue3:
Hopefully we will see another shot of Dman's buckle once he gets it straightened out. Great variety of relics out there. Odd place for all of those RR spikes indeed. Maybe they are Colonial era lawn darts? :icon_scratch:
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!
-MM-

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving Trio! Appreciate all the fun times you guys have shared with all of us. Many fun journeys and here is another.
Happy Turkey day!
TnMtns

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a good time was had by all..happy turkey day:icon_thumleft:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Q......As always I enjoyed your latest video. I like the fact that you guys are honest and just post what you really find. Those are 100% railroad spikes and they HAD to be used as tent pegs. I've been in several camps where they were used for that purpose, no doubt. I also believe that the disk is part of a watch fob or maybe a token. I know it says "manure spreader" on it and I was thinking, isn't that DMan's nickname?:laughing7: Take care and I'll talk to you soon.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a railroad spike once and I'm CONVINCED it was was a tent peg,lol! The watch fob is a pretty neat find being marked like that. Steve found a doohickey the other day that wasn't as hard as a flattened bullet for a poker chip nor was it exactly like a lead fill for the back of a buckle and also about the size of a half dollar so I wonder if that was what it was. Thanks for the cover shot on the video,can't wait to read the full article. It was fun hanging out with you that day and getting to see your beautiful farm and house and the many wonderful relics you've dug over the years. We both love how Doug always has this little grin on his face when you film him.

Last edited:

BruceS

Nov 25, 2014
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh...I must have been on the wrong hill cause I could not see you guys and all I found was some clad and lots of rocks.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the relics. Strange that there were so many RR spikes there. I dig near RR's used to take the cane to the river down here and there are never that many spikes dug.

-BB

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy belated Thanks Giving, and happy turkey sandwich day. I always enjoy the videos, did I ever tell you guys, you talk funny?

Great finds, I like how Coily is a cover girl now!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all who looked & replied. The RR spike mystery is still just that. The RR spur was finished in 1888 and removed in 1968. My thinking was WW2 army maneuvers pitched a tent one the hill but we recovered only one 30-06 cal. cartridge in that field so there was certainly no WW2 camp there. It's possible that these CW soldiers brought the spikes in with the tents from where they camped near the L & N RR. I don't think kids would have been energetic enough to lug them up that steep hill. I guess we'll ever know. HH, Q,

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I found a railroad spike once and I'm CONVINCED it was was a tent peg,lol! The watch fob is a pretty neat find being marked like that. Steve found a doohickey the other day that wasn't as hard as a flattened bullet for a poker chip nor was it exactly like a lead fill for the back of a buckle and also about the size of a half dollar so I wonder if that was what it was. Thanks for the cover shot on the video,can't wait to read the full article. It was fun hanging out with you that day and getting to see your beautiful farm and house and the many wonderful relics you've dug over the years. We both love how Doug always has this little grin on his face when you film him.
I'm just happy to be around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread