39TH FRENCH REGIMENT BUTTON, BUCKLES, BUTTONS, BALLS, A WHATZIT...

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the wife and kid gone this weekend, Bill D. and I got out yesterday to a site he secured permission for a couple of weeks ago. The finds weren't as old as expected but I did score a few buttons and other relics. One button, that Bill identified as a French 39th regiment button, was dug towards the end of the day. I'm still not sure of the period though. I was hoping Rev War but a Google search comes up blank on this regiment. Any help would be much appreciated. I also need help ID'ing the large broken brass relic in my hand. Thanks!!

Nov282014a.jpg Nov282014b.jpg Nov282014c.jpg

Nov282014d.jpg Nov282014e.jpg Nov282014f.jpg

Nov282014g.jpg

Upvote 11

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow bro that button is incredible. I will look it up when I get home. Great finds

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah it's good. Dauphine Regiment. No record of service in North America for the unit, but obviously having found it sort of overrides that statement and does make it a Rev War button. The one in the book was found in GA.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah it's good. Dauphine Regiment. No record of service in North America for the unit, but obviously having found it sort of overrides that statement and does make it a Rev War button. The one in the book was found in GA.

That was quick, thanks! What was your reference book?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That 39th French Regiment button is incredible, imagine how much history is behind that little button, if only it could talk. You found a great assortment of relics, any of them would make any relic hunter's day. The 39th Regiment button is also in phenomenal condition, you did awesome out there.

Coinman123,

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a fun time as usual Joey. Like you said, its too bad that site wasn't as old as we were thinking but at least we made a few finds. Glad to hear your French button was Rev War like we were thinking, and I know you're excited to hear that. That pit we hit at the 2nd site at the end of the day was starting to look quite promising. Hope we can get back there soon. And good luck on ID'ing that huge chunk of brass.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save, great condition.
Have yet to find a single "bird cage" shank of any kind.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That french regiment button certainly stood up to the test of time…Great find in my books…like IP says, Rev War period for sure...

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow bro that button is incredible. I will look it up when I get home. Great finds

Too slow cuz. IP beat you to it. Try bringing your reference books with you next time :tongue3:

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 39th French Regiment button is incredible, imagine how much history is behind that little button, if only it could talk. You found a great assortment of relics, any of them would make any relic hunter's day. The 39th Regiment button is also in phenomenal condition, you did awesome out there.

Coinman123,
Thanks. I would like to make it talk by doing some research on the regiment and how the button came to be at this site.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That french regiment button certainly stood up to the test of time…Great find in my books…like IP says, Rev War period for sure...

It's in surprisingly good condition considering it wasn't too deep and in the middle of a cultivated field. Bill's find of the day is in spectacular condition as well but I'll let him show and tell. Thanks Patriot!

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a fun time as usual Joey. Like you said, its too bad that site wasn't as old as we were thinking but at least we made a few finds. Glad to hear your French button was Rev War like we were thinking, and I know you're excited to hear that. That pit we hit at the 2nd site at the end of the day was starting to look quite promising. Hope we can get back there soon. And good luck on ID'ing that huge chunk of brass.

Yeah Bill, I had fun as always. I figured the button was Rev War since you said so. I look forward to expanding that pit....maybe we'll find a bottle like Stan's.

Lab Rat Pappy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2013
Pa
Detector(s) used
DFX, Goldmaster V-SAT,Coinmaster,BH Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunk of metal you are referring to might be part of an artillery shell or shot canister. Lab Rat Pappy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking button, the other large brass item kind of reminds me of the base for hanging weights to go on, with the hanging rod gone.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome button & its in great condition. Looks like you found some other nice relics as well. Hopefully you can get an ID on the large brass, definitely interesting.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too slow cuz. IP beat you to it. Try bringing your reference books with you next time :tongue3:

Ha yep he's pretty damn good at the id's. Glad he could help you out bro. That is gonna look really nice in a display case. I want to know more about that thing. I will have to do some searching. What a fun day and even better when you get a great id after the hunt. Great job man

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha yep he's pretty damn good at the id's. Glad he could help you out bro. That is gonna look really nice in a display case. I want to know more about that thing. I will have to do some searching. What a fun day and even better when you get a great id after the hunt. Great job man

Books!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread