One Mans "What is this thing?" is Another Mans Treasure!

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One Man's "What is this thing?" is Another Man's Treasure!

I was detecting here in North Texas and found an odd coin/token thing. At first look I thought it was a game token or maybe something from a fair. I posted it in the 'What Is It?' forum and with some good info from T-Net user Bramblefind was able to determine it has something to do with a living history re-creation group called the Kingdom of Meridies. Evidently there are a few of these "kingdoms" in the US and it started back in the sixties, as best I can tell. I found a few Wikipedia articles on the history of these various groups, the best one can be found here.

I also found on the Kingdom of Meridies website that they have a historian, so I contacted him and asked him about the coin. I was really surprised by how excited he was. He told me the coins are always handmade and are usually made to commemorate some event of the kingdom. The Star logo indicates what they call a Populace Badge and on the Reverse the unique text is roughly translated to "Remember This Day - Meridies". He couldn't say how old it was, but was excited because he had never seen one like it. He was also curious as to how it got to North Texas. Technically the Kingdom of Meridies encompasses Alabama, most of Georgia, and middle to east Tennessee. Their events would have been held in those areas by people who live in those areas.

It was a no-brainer that I should donate it to him, so that's what I did. He was very thankful and said "Thanks for helping this find it's way home!"

Sometimes you just never know. What I thought was just a meaningless roughed up looking game token had real value to another person. It's always good to research what you can and at least try to see if it has meaning to someone else. Way to go T-Net!!

Sorry there is no size reference; it's the same size as a half dollar.

Castle-1.JPG Castle-2.JPG

Upvote 14

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post Ed! Hopefully this return will open up some new hunting ground for you. I would call up that historian and offer your services of helping to find additional Kingdom related relics to donate as I'm sure a good portion of those "kingdom events" happen on some fairgrounds or other open areas.

Good luck/Happy Hunting

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post Ed! Hopefully this return will open up some new hunting ground for you. I would call up that historian and offer your services of helping to find additional Kingdom related relics to donate as I'm sure a good portion of those "kingdom events" happen on some fairgrounds or other open areas.

Good luck/Happy Hunting

Thanks. The historian is in Tennessee, but I have seen that there is a Kingdom encompassing Texas, so maybe I can get in touch with them. Good suggestion!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and return!

You've have good stuff coming your way!

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Great attitude man! Very generous of you to donate and not sell it!
Happy hunting

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting