πŸ₯‡ BANNER Massive Roman/Saxon Site - Day 5 - XP DEUS HITS GOLD...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say after only 5 hunts with my new machine.:metaldetector::blob8::metaldetector:

We gridded for 5.5 hours & got our equal best Roman Coin count (for this site) again!

The gold coin was found on my second run & it sounded like a deep coin. Not that deep by some standards (about 6inches) but it was on its side. It was a total shock, because this site has had no Celtic coins & nothing older than 1st AD, until now!!

I had a thought in my head for sometime that my next great find, I would just casually walk over to Dad & say 'hay look at this ''OK'' coin'.....& then enjoy the reaction. Well that went out the window & my gold coin happy muddy boot jig popped out...Dad was struggling for a guess, because we have been hoping for a nice sceat or hammered & the silver is just not showing, so as a last ditch guess he stouted 'gold' - 'yessss'(I said & handed it over)

Sorry the dirt pictures didn't work out, my camera for outdoors is cheap.

33 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman Pin Head
Saxon Pin Head
Roman Bracelet pieces
1st C Roman Fibula

Notice the lack of pottery, as we grid off the main area.

Celtic Gold Stater, (mid to late 1st century BC), Whaddon Chase type, devolved head of Apollo, rev. horse right, winged object above and wheel with six spokes below. ABC2442 (Latest book states Scarce, did a quick look, less than 100 recorded)

Like all my Celtic Coin this will be recorded properly with the acedemics so as to help further study of their distribution etc...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 702
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 632
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 604
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 633
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 595
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 646
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,438
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Upvote 79

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Cru that must be quite a rush when you see gold in the hole at a site like that. Congrats buddy on an incredible find

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another banner find!!! How many gold coins have you found now? Awesome!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like you are doing quite well, nice find for sure.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader - Congrats on an tremendous find! Banner vote is in, and it looks like you're on the way to 21 banner posts. Usually, number like that are reserved for blackjack. Great way to break in the Deus. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big Roman site like that could always have the Celtic tucked away some were, after all the romans sort out the Celts. Great coin the machine has already earned it's corn.:thumbsup:...and yes Banner for sure.

SS

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simply put: Beautiful looking pony you got yourself. Banner!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

I added a natural light picture of a few of my finds together.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another banner find!!! How many gold coins have you found now? Awesome!

6 Celtic & 15 (I think) all together

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really neat! That coin is full of art. amazing find. I can't hardly imagine pulling a gold coin out of the dirt.. but still hoping.. lol
Congrats! Exciting.. I'd be tickled with any of the others.. lol

Totally get what you mean, thats why its one of my Fav types of British Coin. However, 'the art' is more powerful than that. As the Celtic people had no written language (other than a Romanised type on some of these coins to depict the rulers name) the symbols have hidden meaning & some might have been in some way 'magical'. Some of the easier ones to understand are on this coin. A Wheel to represent the Celtic Chariot, a sign of wealth & status, but it also represents the Sun God. The other side is meant to represent Appollo's head. Some symbols on here we will never be able to guess the meaning, like the symbol above the horse, that is commonly described in 2 ways; Winged Annulet or Winged Motif. Maybe another symbol for a winged God?

This coin is uninscribed, so the Ruler who made this is lost to History, we may never know whom it was that had this made.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and vote here too! Killer coin! Simply love this design. Never thought the Deus would make such a difference for you as i can stay up well with my machine when hunting with Deus buddies here. :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it my imagination or is the gold coin in near perfect condition, as in dropped right after it was made?
That is just awesome! Congrats!

There is a little wear on the horse head, but it may just be the plough. It's very differicult to understand what the Celtic did with these coins because they had no monetary system at the time. There are plenty of theories, but for the most part they were only used at the highest political level or by Druids in ritual activity. So there is a possibility that this coin was made & used in a ritual. Therefore, it may have not been lost but placed there for a good crop & asking for a good crop. Like I just discussed, many had symbols of their Gods & gold has been used by many cultures to offer up to those various Gods.
You can't think of these in the way we do, they are not really 'coins' in that they were never 'spent' in Britain.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your EXCELLENT recovery!!

I'll agree with "EasternShoreMetal" . . . the artistic design on that Stater is amazing.
Since that is an isolated find, how would you rate your chances of retaining that for your personal collection?

I wish I could have seen your father's expression, I know he MUST be proud of your recovery. . . that Stater is just icing on the cake.

Again, congrats :notworthy:

I do not have to legally report a single gold coin, so after I have shown the farmer, its mine to keep. Because these are rare I record them out of free will, to help build a greater knowledge of their distribution.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Cru ! & Thanks for Posting them

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$10,000 coin? Bloody amazing!

Goldberg Coins and Collectibles

Thats a different type, much rarer. This type has sold for between $2000-$3500 in the US, but one sold 3-4 months ago for Β£500 in the UK. So there is a hint for those that want to deal in coins (as long as you get the export licence granted).

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner, it didn't take long for this great looking pony. What's the weight of the coin?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and vote here too! Killer coin! Simply love this design. Never thought the Deus would make such a difference for you as i can stay up well with my machine when hunting with Deus buddies here. :occasion14:

At this point its hard to judge. Here are the facts;

We gridded over this area already this year. We have also gridded over it at least 3 other times with the XP GMP & Cortes.

Last time we spent lots of time clearing green waste from the surface. This time the medium plough has turned in some of the missed waste & brought up some roman coins (some are on the top).

The conditions are still over wet (too wet) but it is a sprayed off Wheat crop & the soil has settled.

We keep getting our best 1 day total from this field & that has to be partly due to the Deus. Further stats next year will help.

I do know that yesterday I was getting some deep 'small' coins which I think the GMP would struggle to find.

Now would the GMP have found 'this' coin, maybe.

But what helped more than anything was years of clearing all the signals we could & gridding the same area, time & time again. I cleared lots of big iron yesterday (knowing what the machine was telling me, Iron is much easier to hear on this Deus), which would have been left in the early days (when more signals were about), lost count of how many horse shoes & half horse shoes Dad & I got rid of.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: