Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Castine "Penobscot Expedition" 2nd Article "Treasures of a Relic Hunter."

Thanks for all the comments about the Cpt Hinkley Rev War shoe buckle frame. You know sometimes we have wishful thinking when Iding relics and sometimes research and knowledge of a site tells us the story. I don't mind the remark "Reasonable Doubt" when it comes to who really who it belonged to and happy to leave it at that. As he said still an officer's buckle and great find. Thank you.
Now I had Feedback on my last post of listing the 4 articles I wrote on my relic hunting Castine from 1995-2014. Seems folks can read them OK. I understand that may be old history to many but history is history and I am happy top have this venue top share it with you. So her Scan0021.jpg CastineBookCover6.jpg Scan.jpg Scan1.jpg Scan2.jpg Scan3.jpg Scan4.jpg e is my second one I wrote in August of 2006 called "Treasures of a Relic Hunter. Actually I called it "Memories" but the mag changed the name which surprised me. If you want to read my first one "Have a Ball " Please do. That one mainly on ordnance. Thanks Gary

Last edited:
Upvote 4

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As of now I am reading a story where france and England at war called king Williams war.1689 to 1697 .The following month the Indians war party starting from the French settlement on penobscot and fell upon the English fort at pemaquid which they compelled to surrender. The author of this book marcius willson 1866.Interesting book of history.vanzutphen

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Assault on Penobscot.png In my other post "Have a Ball" both IP and Abe posted a video of Trask rock. I hope they will do here as well. In the 1960s Mr Waterhouse painted " Assault on Penobscot". It was a huge painting that was on the wall of the Pentagon and was destroyed when the first jet hit that building 911.. I was fortunate to buy a black and white artist's proof made about the same time as the painting. My son is a great painter and we worked together uniform colors and this year he painted it for me. I am sharing it here. Someday it will find it's way to the Wilson Museum. Assault on Penobscot.png

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great article I remember reading so many years ago! Great painting too! No problem reading it either...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary I'm really happy you're sharing these articles and finds on Tnet. I know there's lots of people who just love this stuff....myself included. So cool that you found an Oak tree silver and several other incredible finds. You are a lucky man my friend and you certainly made the best of your time. Thanks again for sharing, Abe
Btw the info about the Spanish cut into 1/5ths and the reason why is awesome background info. Those stacked shoe buckles are awesome. I love shoe buckles

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Abe Thanks. This is the article I read from the Bangor Daily news about this battle. Even as a Mainer I did not know about it. As for the 1/5th reale that is fact checked right in an orderly book by Sgt Lawrence. Here is the article.
Scan0249.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! I wish I had done that back in the day as it makes it that much better to reflect. But maybe I'll still have my chance in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread