Colonial Site Yields Over THREE OUNCES OF SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: See Shanegalang's post in reply #58! He is going to use the silver to make rings for him and his wife. Fantastic idea--can't wait to see and hope you'll post a photo of the finished product, Shane!

Hello All,

Went on one final dig with BuckleDad before he left town and dug a really worn and blackened 1875 Seated Dime. That is right at the beginning of the video below as a catch-up.

But the real achievement was this last hunt with Shanegalang. We met up to rehunt the early site we'd discovered last hunt (gave a half real and a pristine 1838 Seated Dime plus many buttons and clay pipe stems). We got to work. A couple of flat buttons showed. Then a couple more pipe stems. Then I hear AAAAAAAIIIIIIYYYYYYEEEEEEE! and I see Shanegalang holding a silver. He had broken his silver drought with a half real. 1803.

HR in hand.JPG HR 1803.jpg HR 1803 Rev.jpg

We kept on digging, and I got a couple tombac buttons. There were globs of melted brass and copper everywhere, which led us to suspect that the house that was once there had burned (the burning off of the cane fields every fall doesn't create that type of heat). These melted globs rang up high, so there were many false alarms with us thinking we had found coins. There was also melted lead everywhere. Lead is common in CW era and later sites, as many cast their own bullets. But the early sites down here have an abundance of lead, leading me to think it was used in ship building, etc.

Here is some of the bigger pieces of melted brass that I dug. Shane had a big pocket full of it too.

melted brass.JPG

Well...of course Shane got a high tone of 87/88 and dug a giant blob of melted SILVER from this site!! 8-) Weighs just over 2.6 ounces.

melted silver.jpg

I've seen a lot of melted aluminum before, and this isn't it. Non-malleable. Shone like silver (a little more dull in color than chrome or aluminum). And it's heavy. Rings up like a silver dollar.

I hunted a couple more rows and got a nice zinc signal to dig a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O Seated Half Dime (no drapery). :headbang:

1840 HD in dirt.JPG 1840 HD in dirt1.JPG

More blobs of melted brass and lead later and I spied a colonial era shoe buckle piece laying on top of the ground. Then got the neck of a spur.

Then it got real quiet and we dig a couple rows without fining anything. Shanegalang decided to head home. He had marked the next row he was gonna do by sticking the shovel in the ground. We said bye and I decided to come back up his row. Ten steps into the row I got an 83 reading on the F75! In the clod I saw something that I have never seen in 22 years:

barber quarter in dirt.JPG

It was my first ever BARBER QUARTER. I've dug Seateds, Capped Coins, all types of newer silver coins, and plenty of Barber Dimes and even one Barber Half and a Morgan Dollar. But up until today I had never dug a Barber Quarter. This one was a beauty. Farmer Dropped in the cane field not long after it was minted. 1893-S!

:thumbsup:

I kept going and probably 15 feet later I got an iffy signal in the side of a row. Down deep it was a plow-struck 1838 Seated Half Dime!!

I finished up the row and decided that it was a good time to call it a day. I took this photo of some of the finds:

finds in hand.JPG

Photos like that make me wanna dig!!

When I got home I cleaned the finds and used my silver cleaning method on the silver coins. That method is described in this post, and it is the absolute best way that I've ever found to clean blackened or tarnished dug silver coins:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html

I'll let you be the judge of this cleaning method as I close with photos of each coin I dug front and back. "Before" photos are on the left.
After" photos on the right.

1875 Seated Dime from the hunt with BuckleDad:

HPIM4900.JPG HPIM4902.JPG

HPIM4901.JPG HPIM4903.JPG

1840-O Half Dime, No Drapery:

1840 HD obv before.JPG 1840 HD obv after.JPG

1840 HD rev before.JPG 1840 HD rev after.JPG

1838 Half Dime:

1838 HD obv before.JPG 1838 HD obv after.JPG

1838 HD rev before.JPG 1838 HD rev after.JPG

And the 1893-S Barber Quarter:

barber obv before.JPG barber obv after.JPG

barber rev before.JPG barber rev after.JPG

Here is a group shot of both of our finds:

all finds shang.jpg all finds mine.JPG

BIG Congrats to Shanegalang for breaking his silver drought. Congrats on Half Real #10 for the year. Let's see if we can make 12! Can't wait to dig again!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 36

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the all the silver. I'm still looking for my first seated half dime. That has been my bugaboo coin.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be hard to beat that hunt. Was Shane ticked off that you hunted his row? Lol!

Haha, yeah but it had to be done. We are methodical about how we dig. I was shocked that there were two coins in that row. Crazy odds against it.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the all the silver. I'm still looking for my first seated half dime. That has been my bugaboo coin.

You'll get one. I'm still trying to find a KG copper. Never dug one in 22 years. :( That is the next one on my "to find" list. That and a 3 cent silver. Only one 3c silver made in the New Orleans Mint, I believe 1853-O, so there is hope for digging one here.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys killed it!! All that old silver is incredible, great job. I always look forward to your posts

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG bud!!!!!! That is a killer site for sure. Love the coins, the finds...everything.

Best of luck next time.

Dan

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digging and checking off a first is always a memorable dig. The blob is interesting and a large silver item would produce a melted blob instead of numerous small items like coinage as there would be some evidence of the disks on one the edge of the melt more than likely. #10 for the season is a great total with a couple of weeks to go and the chance of getting a few more hunts under the belt there's a very good chance that the total will be going up.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a superb post. Truly awesome finds thanks for sharing and congrats on the amazing success.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Buck on the multi-silver day. Hard to believe you had never put a barber quarter under your coil before, but I can understand that. I had dug over 100 colonial silvers before finding my first 1800s bust silver, and still only have 2 of those. Strange how that works sometimes.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YABA DABA DOO!!!!!! I knew you would get that Barber quarter eventually Buckaroo. :occasion14: It's a lot older than the one you got at your wedding too. :laughing7:
Fantastic recoveries guys. Great to see another post from you.
Have you picked up any weight yet being married? :tongue3:
Congrats,
Doug
P.S. Did I hear the beeping of a Tesoro at the start of your video on that first half dime?

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another killer day in the cane fields, Buck. Great quality to those finds. Congrats on finding that elusive Barber quarter. Who knows, you might have another one turn up before the end of the year. I love that method for cleaning old silver, as it seems to leave a very natural finish to the coins. I have mixed emotions about using the method, though, because I've developed a strange fondness for those blackened old silver coins.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most definitely the best coin hunt of the fall season BB. Congrats on scratching a Barber quarter from your wish list. Can you date a site by the presence of pipe stems? WTG, Q.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one spectacular hunt BB!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys killed it!! All that old silver is incredible, great job. I always look forward to your posts

I really appreciate your kind words. Best Wishes to you and Happy Hunting,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digging and checking off a first is always a memorable dig. The blob is interesting and a large silver item would produce a melted blob instead of numerous small items like coinage as there would be some evidence of the disks on one the edge of the melt more than likely. #10 for the season is a great total with a couple of weeks to go and the chance of getting a few more hunts under the belt there's a very good chance that the total will be going up.

That's a really good point. Due to the quantity of silver, I was thinking Candlestick, although even a large silver utensil might have been a possibility.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buck on the multi-silver day. Hard to believe you had never put a barber quarter under your coil before, but I can understand that. I had dug over 100 colonial silvers before finding my first 1800s bust silver, and still only have 2 of those. Strange how that works sometimes.

It took me over 20 years to dig a Bust coin, and now by year 22 I have three of them. Go figure. I think of it like flipping coins and getting long strings of "tails." There's a 50/50 chance of getting heads on each coin flip, but yet a person who flips a coin 100 times will find that there are often very long strings of "heads." In reality, the odds of a Barber Quarter or a Bust Silver at any one particular site is VERY low--MUCH lower than 50/50 or 1 in 2 (if that were the case, everyone would be finding them!). So in reality, finding something like a Bust coin or Barber Quarter would be like flipping a 100 sided coin every hunt and hoping for it to land on one particular number. Might take a Very long time for that to happen! And we all know that the odds of a Bust coin on a site are actually lower than even 1 in 100 sites. It's weird to think about it that way, but it's the way that made the most sense to me.

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YABA DABA DOO!!!!!! I knew you would get that Barber quarter eventually Buckaroo. :occasion14: It's a lot older than the one you got at your wedding too. :laughing7:
Fantastic recoveries guys. Great to see another post from you.
Have you picked up any weight yet being married? :tongue3:
Congrats,
Doug
P.S. Did I hear the beeping of a Tesoro at the start of your video on that first half dime?

That Barber you gifted to me opened the door for a Barber to be dug! Thanks again for your AWESOME wedding gift! Yes, I have gained weight. LOL. No I don't wanna say how much! :D BuckleDad was using DiggerGirl's new Tesoro Tejon in the beginning of the video. Shaneglang uses a Cortes, and sometimes a Cibola as well.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another killer day in the cane fields, Buck. Great quality to those finds. Congrats on finding that elusive Barber quarter. Who knows, you might have another one turn up before the end of the year. I love that method for cleaning old silver, as it seems to leave a very natural finish to the coins. I have mixed emotions about using the method, though, because I've developed a strange fondness for those blackened old silver coins.

Understood. I like the blackened ones as well. But you hit the nail right on the head with how natural they look with that method.

Great to hear from you my friend. You're one of the "old gang" on here, and I'm very glad that you're still active finding, posting, and replying.

Best Wishes,

BB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely the best coin hunt of the fall season BB. Congrats on scratching a Barber quarter from your wish list. Can you date a site by the presence of pipe stems? WTG, Q.

Not enough pipe stems to be very accurate, but the holes in them are on the small side, so c.1790-1840 is the date for the house. All the Seated coins were in very nice condition in terms of wear, so all lost soon after minting.

Agreed that this was the best hunt of the fall season for both Shane and I.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread