Massive Roman/Saxon Site - Day 9 - SCEAT!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we had finished the Eastern edge & the better area, I decided to try my 11" coil for the Deus. It took me awhile to figure out how to pair it with the WS4 earphones, not surprising really, because I can't use a mobile phone yet. I wanted to go over the Saxon Brooch area which was several hundred metres from the edge of the Roman/Saxon Settlement. I've done this area several times with the XP GMP 11" coil, tried it with the Deus 9 inch & I hoped this coil would weed a few deeper pieces out. I ran it on a deep program (P9) at 8kHz but hardly dug anything. I decided to use this same program in the already covered 'good area' of the site. I got very little responses, so I swapped to the trusty P3 which on the 11" is 17kHz & she started churping again. I could hear all the small stuff & the iron & felt more at home, it also needled out some medium depth small Roman coins that Dad & I had missed.(I may return for a second pass, going opposite directions)
So it was with this P3 I left on to continue the gridding on the last lower section of the site. In the past only a few Roman coins have been found but today lots more than usual were appearing. I'm now liking the 11" coil on the P3 setting.:icon_thumright:

Towards the end of the hunt I got a Saxon Sceat (in an area we never get them, we had given up all hope) circa AD710-760, Series G.:headbang:

14 Roman Coins
14th C Buckle & Pin
Saxon Pin Head
Half a Roman Tweezer
More Roman Pottery when do my experiments in the better area.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 507
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 12

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice one Cru :thumbsup:, now try p3 and drop it down to 12 kh, discrim 10, more depth and still very good on the small stuff.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Cru :thumbsup:, now try p3 and drop it down to 12 kh, discrim 10, more depth and still very good on the small stuff.

Excellent thanks, someone else who's a long time user said he runs his at mostly 12 & its still alright on small silver etc... But when I ran the 9inch on 12kHz it just felt odd. I'm much more at home hearing everything & picking up all the tiny lead, it just builds my confidence that I'm not missing anything.

Last edited:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Excellent thanks, someone else who's a long time user said he runs his at mostly 12 & its still already on small silver etc... But when I ran the 9inch on 12kHz it just felt odd. I'm much more at home hearing everything & picking up all the tiny lead, it just builds my confidence that I'm not missing anything.
Sound Cru, if it's not broken don't mend it :thumbsup:

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, everytime I read your posts, I feel like i'm watching the History Channel over here.:laughing7: You really make it look easy my friend and I am well aware that it is not easy. Great WORK!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnificent sceat! Can't shake a stick at Saxon silver!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound Cru, if it's not broken don't mend it :thumbsup:

Its a bit like fishing, the more confident your are with your 'catching' method the better the results 'seem'. I will be trying the 12 on this larger coil & see what happens, when I know whats going on a bit better I will customise a 'Roman Site Program' of my own.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a bit like fishing, the more confident your are with your 'catching' method the better the results 'seem'. I will be trying the 12 on this larger coil & see what happens, when I know whats going on a bit better I will customise a 'Roman Site Program' of my own.

Hey Cru..I would be happy to come across and help you build the program with ya..lol..

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man those sceats are small little boogers. Great find!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds as usual. killer sceat and cool romans

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty of a coin for condition and scarcity. You've had one fantastic month!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, sir.

What's the collector value on that little guy? $200-$250?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great hunt! The Sceat is a great find for sure and rare as hen's teeth, beautiful detail. The Saxon pin is a really nice find also, and it would be up there for the find of the day.
Looking at the buckles the one with the tongue still attached is a nice one, but what has me intrigued is the ring with the stone, anything special?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! The Sceat is a great find for sure and rare as hen's teeth, beautiful detail. The Saxon pin is a really nice find also, and it would be up there for the find of the day.
Looking at the buckles the one with the tongue still attached is a nice one, but what has me intrigued is the ring with the stone, anything special?

No the ring is modern junk.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Sceat - 'Series G (Type 3a), which is a continental type (possibly from Quentovic in northern France) found in England in large numbers - 85 finds are recorded on EMC.'

Rare Roman Coin:

The top right Roman Coin in the picture caught our attention because we could see it was a female head but the reverse didn't add up & with very few letters visible I gave up looking on the web & Dad dug deeper. We already could tell it was not in any books that we owned, so this is what Dad found out:

' 'I have found a reference for the Salonina initially from the Helvetia ID site which has Excel tables of ALL the various records. It is a recorded Hybrid version with a Gallienus Reverse found in the Normanby Hoard coin No 158 – classed as Rare. The reverse is SECVRIT AVG and Obverse SALONINA AVG. It was the only one of its type in the Hoard and in Poor condition weighing 3.05gm – ours weighs 2.76. (I have the Cunetio & Normanby detailed records which blank sent me and confirmed the data in that mammoth set of docs too!)

So not in Sears, RIC or the Cunetio hoard but a known coin. '

This very poor condition coin could have easily been over looked, good effort Dad.:hello2: (Make us a slip, it's out the general 'pile')

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UPDATE:

Sceat - 'Series G (Type 3a), which is a continental type (possibly from Quentovic in northern France) found in England in large numbers - 85 finds are recorded on EMC.'

Rare Roman Coin:

The top left Roman Coin in the picture caught our attention because we could see it was a female head but the reverse didn't add up & with very few letters visible I gave up looking on the web & Dad dug deeper. We already could tell it was not in any books that we owned, so this is what Dad found out:

' 'I have found a reference for the Salonina initially from the Helvetia ID site which has Excel tables of ALL the various records. It is a recorded Hybrid version with a Gallienus Reverse found in the Normanby Hoard coin No 158 – classed as Rare. The reverse is SECVRIT AVG and Obverse SALONINA AVG. It was the only one of its type in the Hoard and in Poor condition weighing 3.05gm – ours weighs 2.76. (I have the Cunetio & Normanby detailed records which blank sent me and confirmed the data in that mammoth set of docs too!)

So not in Sears, RIC or the Cunetio hoard but a known coin. '

This very poor condition coin could have easily been over looked, good effort Dad.:hello2: (Make us a slip, it's out the general 'pile')

Nice save from the pile, it's always nice to get a surprise ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread