Old school produces little reward

V

Vingamel

I hunted Lutheran High School, formerly the Benjamin Harrison school, in NE Kansas City over the weekend, and basically got skunked. After four hours, all I found were:
$1.71 2/3 cents (one of the pennies was broken)
2 large bullet slugs.
1 rusty can opener (church key)
A child's jack
2 newer keys
1 button
a men's watch by Milan
A Saint Christopher pendant made of iron.
Assorted garbage.

The oldest coin I found was a 1966 dime. Frustrated, I went home, sulked, then went out and checked our front yard again. In an hour found four pennies, one of which was a wheatie from the 50s, and a fireman's captains bars. So, in the end, my own front yard was better than the old school.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vingamel

view%20looking%20southeast.jpg

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
i live in clay co. also. as muddy as it is around here makes it tough to do much. i used to do pretty well in the n.e. area along the side walks around indep. ave. dont know about now unless having someone along to be a look- out. good luck hunting

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

Maybe we need to hook up and be lookouts for each other. I'm all for checking out some of the scarier neighborhoods, but not alone. This school is actually on the east side of I-435, just north of Winner Road. You can see it from the interstate. If somebody else hunts there soon with something bigger than a Bounty Hunter, and they find something actually worthwhile, then I'll be sold on the idea that Bounty Hunters are inferior. Otherwise, I think the place has already been hunted out.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhhh grasshopper, patients is a virtue,? and it also hepls to have a higher quailty machine with 100s of hrs of use logged on it ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd wager that Embankment in front of the school holds a few Keepers. Wish I lived there. check along the Wall, at the bottom of the Embankment. & dig everything. I found a Class Ring at a site like that, where I told you to look. and the place was hunted to death

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

Yeah, I spent most of my time on that embankment. Found a few clads, the watch, and a lot of trash. I'm sure it's not my machine or my process, since I've had some good success at other places. My thought is that since the school is visible from a very busy interstate, it's been picked over by others who were thinking the same as me.

Since I'm not a doctor, I don't have any patients. But I think three hours on a narrow embankment is patience enough. Next stop will be some less visible place.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I wish you Luck. As I said, If I lived near there ........................ ;)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It is an awesome looking site and sure would be nice if there were some sidewalk/curb work going on. But your problem with it may be just the volume of junk masking the goodies. I'm betting all-metal or auto tune would be one big continuous blend of hits at varying depths there. Might pay just to stake out a ten foot long stretch and dig everything in every category. You could be up here chipping rock hard ground for a lot less!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Vin. ?I just started campaigning Middle and High Schools in my area in hopes of finding my first ring with "beef"! ?I recognized a pattern to my finds, and decided to start gridding it on a map in hopes of understanding the kids habits. ?(I considered sitting and watching throughout a day but old wierdo's aren't really recieved that well around campuses) ;D ?I plan on posting my maps eventually when I finish thoroughly md'ing the places. ?For now a tid-bit, two of the best places I've found for coins are inevitably the area where bus loading occurs, and the sidelines of the football field closest to the gate. ?Good luck and HH~CO2

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

When I was there, it appeared they had recently graded one of the lots (the area just below the beige metal stairway in the first picture). ?That's where I found most of the coins, a lot of them in a pile of the asphalt that had been scraped to one side. ?The front lot had been recently bricked, sadly. ?The embankment gave me a lot of trash signals, this is true, and it stretches for at least 200 yards from where you can see it in picture #2. ?Because my expectations were so high of finding good stuff, I did wander a bit and not concentrate on a small area. ?Maybe another time I'll go back, but if I can find older coins in my own front yard, then I'm sure my guess is correct: the place has seen many detectorists in the past. ?

Any other Kansas City residents who try this place, let me know how you do. ?Be aware that the neighbors are a wild bunch, so keep a wary eye on your back.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
You were out there. You listened to the tone. You dug the target. It was lost & you found it. The next target may be SILVER OR GOLD. Do not be discouraged! You are doing a good job & determination & hard work always pay off in the end. You have the bug now & things only get better from here. Read the Forum & pick up some tips. Keep up the good work. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread