Back to the Field of Loops - Yup More Loops!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got back yesterday for 2.5hrs to a field that I've been detecting since the beginning of October and found 20 more of the Isaac Campbell Loop Buckles! :o This brings my total 'finds' count for this site to 60 loops, 3 martingales and 1 knapsack badge! All I can say is... what the heck was going on here? I have found no buckle hooks, no military buttons, very few harness buckles and a 1918 silver quarter. Absolutely nothing to lead me to believe that there was a military encampment here. :dontknow: Above freezing temps are forecast for the next few days here in Southern Ontario, so I'll try and get back here a couple more times! :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and for your interest,
Dave

Attachments

• 20141215_134606_resized.jpg
    20141215_134606_resized.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20141215_134630_resized.jpg
    20141215_134630_resized.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 99
  • 20141215_134615_resized.jpg
    20141215_134615_resized.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 90
  • 20141215_134357_resized-crop.jpg
    20141215_134357_resized-crop.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20141215_174848_resized-crop.jpg
    20141215_174848_resized-crop.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20141215_190045_resized-crop.jpg
    20141215_190045_resized-crop.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141215_190038_resized-crop.jpg
    20141215_190038_resized-crop.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20141215_190023_resized-crop.jpg
    20141215_190023_resized-crop.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 11

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That 's a lot! Maybe you found the loop buckle store! Someone's supply definitely. Now you have a mystery to solve, maybe you will run across more info that will help you figure out why so many of those and less of other stuff.

It's looking real cold up there! Stay warm! Hope you get the warmer weather that was forecast. GL. & HH!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Niceeeeeeeeee, way to stick it out Dave, maybe because of the size of that place you just have not hit the button/coin sweet spot yet? Keep looking, go from different directions from where you found the 1918 coin? (I guess? You probably already have?)

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's alot of digging you've got quite a collection of buckle loops strarted. Thanks for sharing.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's just a crazy amount of loop buckles. Congrats on all of the sweet finds.

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting to find so many in one place. Any ideas about who made(manufactured) those loops? And where were they made?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Dave
Wow thats an interesting site you got there.
That field looks giant ....some type of supply depot or camp site....you can do years in there !
Gary

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok digging in the snow really? Now that's dedication, or just plain addiction Dave. Just moving stuff yesterday and came across the Etrac and 3030 sitting there all lonely asking for to go for a walk, and there was a fleeting moment of insanity then it was back to the task at hand.

Nice going on the latest acquisitions of loops, and the ??? of the site still is fresh in mind. The temps are fairly mild today so happy digging and good luck on the finds.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, I believe you and I are kindred spirits lol. You can't let a little frozen precip deter you from your mission!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418815477.709353.jpg

Once you get all those big targets out of the way, the coins and buttons may come out of hiding. Gary might be onto something....maybe a supply depot.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That 's a lot! Maybe you found the loop buckle store! Someone's supply definitely. Now you have a mystery to solve, maybe you will run across more info that will help you figure out why so many of those and less of other stuff.

It's looking real cold up there! Stay warm! Hope you get the warmer weather that was forecast. GL. & HH!

Thanks for your post MsBB! :thumbsup:
I don't have a clue what was going on here, there was certainly something happening here... but what?

Best of luck to you BB,
Dave

Niceeeeeeeeee, way to stick it out Dave, maybe because of the size of that place you just have not hit the button/coin sweet spot yet? Keep looking, go from different directions from where you found the 1918 coin? (I guess? You probably already have?)
Thanks very much for the advice Brad! :occasion14:
I went back yesterday and started to sweep further afield up the hill and found a few more loops.

I'm going back again today, this evening I'll post my finds from Tuesday & today! :thumbsup:
Dave

Wow that's a lot of digging you've got quite a collection of buckle loops started. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your interest pong!
Best of luck to you,
Dave

That's just a crazy amount of loop buckles. Congrats on all of the sweet finds.

Thanks very much Tom! :thumbsup:
Now the next big question... what do i do with all of them?

I'm thinking Christmas tree decorations! :laughing7:
Dave

Interesting to find so many in one place. Any ideas about who made(manufactured) those loops? And where were they made?

Thanks for your interest and your question yard digger! :thumbsup:
These buckle loops were made in England by the Isaac Campbell Company between 1840 - 1860.

I'll include a picture of what the US Confederate Knapsacks looked like at the bottom of this post.
Dave

The Isaac and Campbell Knapsack

The original knapsacks were manufactured by the Isaac and Campbell Company in London and brought into the U. S. by the Confederacy. Historically correct features are hand sewn details and cloth herringbone twill tape ties that are used to close the fold pocket on the knapsack. The russet leather harness was made of top grade leather with historically correct 1 1/4 inch roller buckles. The corners of the cloth bag were protected by bridle leather corner guard. The leather harness was colored with a period dye giving it a rich russet colour.

Hey Dave
Wow thats an interesting site you got there.
That field looks giant ....some type of supply depot or camp site....you can do years in there !
Gary
Hi Gary! :hello:
Yeah, I wish I had more information regarding the sites history.
Still the question remains unanswered... why have no hooks been found here, only the loops?

Take care my friend,
Dave

Ok digging in the snow really? Now that's dedication, or just plain addiction Dave. Just moving stuff yesterday and came across the Etrac and 3030 sitting there all lonely asking for to go for a walk, and there was a fleeting moment of insanity then it was back to the task at hand.

Nice going on the latest acquisitions of loops, and the ??? of the site still is fresh in mind. The temps are fairly mild today so happy digging and good luck on the finds.

I hear you about the 'addiction' part Jim! :thumbsup:
Yesterday, when I was standing in the middle of that snow covered field with my nose running, my hands and feet freezing and all I could think was... there's no place I'd rather be right now! :laughing7:

Mild temps are still in the forecast, I'll post my finds from yesterday and what I find today later tonight.
Dave

Attachments

• icksback.jpg
    icksback.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 71

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave , WTF ! , maybe it's me but things are a little bit loopee around here :laughing7: nuk nuk

seriously that's beyond weirdness

uh huh but nuthin' wrong with that !

dawg

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, I believe you and I are kindred spirits lol. You can't let a little frozen precip deter you from your mission!

Once you get all those big targets out of the way, the coins and buttons may come out of hiding. Gary might be onto something....maybe a supply depot.

You have some beautiful scenery in your neck of the woods in PA Dave!
Hope to get back again on Friday for one last go if the weather holds. :thumbsup:

Take care buddy,
Dave

Hey Dave , WTF ! , maybe it's me but things are a little bit loopee around here :laughing7: nuk nuk

seriously that's beyond weirdness

uh huh but nuthin' wrong with that !

dawg

Thanks for your post dawg... believe me, I'm as curious about what's going on at this site as you are! :icon_scratch:
I love finding 'loops', but finding a 'hook' might give me a heart attack at this point! :laughing7:

Very strange Antiquarian, why are they there ????

This is the question I ask myself every time I find one of these :icon_scratch:... they've been widely spread over an area of 100' x 1000'.
I would say that 75% of them have been found in an area of 100' x 200' south of the stone foundations of an old barn.
Thanks for your post mate, :occasion14:
Dave

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is dedication and I share your passion hunting in the snow in my area! Keep at it Dave and I know with your persistence some different booty will appear!!
Merry Christmas and may 2015 be another successful year for you!!!

IM

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is dedication and I share your passion hunting in the snow in my area! Keep at it Dave and I know with your persistence some different booty will appear!!
Merry Christmas and may 2015 be another successful year for you!!!

IM

It's not dedication my friend... it's insanity! :thumbsup:
All the snow does is weight down my coil and prevent me from getting closer to the ground, other than that it's ok! :laughing7:
Sure beats sitting in the living room and staring at my wife for the next 4 months waiting for the 'big thaw'!
Here's hoping you have a Merry Christmas a a great 2015 too my friend, :occasion14:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread