Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had a thing about buttons with an eagle perched on a cannon. I have found a few, but never one with the "CORPS" or "REGT" under the cannon. I went out in wet muddy conditions on Sunday for what I knew would be my last hunt of the year. Didn't find hardly anything but I did get this artillery button. It's a little rough but I'll take it. It is identical to Albert's AY21 except mine is 24 mm instead of 22 mm. It has an Armitage/Best Quality/Philadelphia backmark.

Attachments

• Artillery 1.JPG
    Artillery 1.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Artillery 2.JPG
    Artillery 2.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 12-14-14-All.JPG
    12-14-14-All.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 13

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find Steve. Congrats on a really cool button. GL&HH.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find congrats on the button and thanks for sharing.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the button there! Funny how my interest in buttons grew, never really thought much of them when I first started to detect, now they are a must when I get out...

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Button!
I don't know what it is, but I am just as excited about the buttons as anything I find.. They do help to date sites, since they are relatively reliable, but it's more than that, like the eagle and the cannon, there's a neat story in there. That's the part I like. I just dug a large copper round, when I first saw the color, size and shape, I thought, "Oh wow, it's a colonial half penny!" Then I saw how thin it was and that that side had no details, then flipped it and saw the loop still attached, and I was just as happy with that colonial than if it had been a coin.. Is that crazy ?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I was just as happy the day I dug my first flat button as the day I dug my first colonial coin too ESM!

Very nice button Steve. Any idea why there is the difference in size? A muddy hunt sure beats the thought of no detecting for the next 3 months!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the button there! Funny how my interest in buttons grew, never really thought much of them when I first started to detect, now they are a must when I get out...
Thanks, I definitely feel the same way about buttons, especially pre-Civil War military buttons

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Button!
I don't know what it is, but I am just as excited about the buttons as anything I find.. They do help to date sites, since they are relatively reliable, but it's more than that, like the eagle and the cannon, there's a neat story in there. That's the part I like. I just dug a large copper round, when I first saw the color, size and shape, I thought, "Oh wow, it's a colonial half penny!" Then I saw how thin it was and that that side had no details, then flipped it and saw the loop still attached, and I was just as happy with that colonial than if it had been a coin.. Is that crazy ?
Not crazy at all. I dig far more coppers than nice early military buttons I love the one piece military buttons and colonial buttons with designs

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I was just as happy the day I dug my first flat button as the day I dug my first colonial coin too ESM!

Very nice button Steve. Any idea why there is the difference in size? A muddy hunt sure beats the thought of no detecting for the next 3 months!

I never get tired of digging buttons. This is the fourth different type of artillery button I have found on this site

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice button! I love digging early miltary buttons but most of mine are the common smooth flat variety. I dug a cuff size like this one a couple of months ago.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another War of 1812 Relic

That is very cool, glad you have enough detail to identify it. Seems like the war of 1812 provides the fewest (war) relics discovered. I got one to share with you. I found this about 4 inches deep (screaming clad quarter signal) at a home built in 1832 (still standing). Scavenger here on T-net identified it for me. I was completely blown away, as I had no clue what a Pummel was. Included is a picture of one attached to the sword. It is an Officer's Sword.

Attachments

• american officers sword2.jpg
    american officers sword2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    692.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    858.9 KB · Views: 118

goldenoldie

Dec 16, 2014
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE ,,,,,,,
Minelab sovereign xs2,,,,,12x10 SEF & 15 in WOT
Minelab Explorer 2. 12X8 Platypus
Evolution Scoop & spade ,Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi just last week I found a US military button in a field over here in the UK.
I am not sure whether or not it is from WW1 or WW2, as I find military items from both periods in the same field.
I will have to get a pic up on here for an id when I get the time. I have also found three cap badges from this field,
one is a Canadian expeditionary forces 99th btn cap badge from WW1, I need to identify the others though.
Also I had a small Navy sweetheart badge . I cannot wait to get back to that field, I love finding military history.
Regards

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool, glad you have enough detail to identify it. Seems like the war of 1812 provides the fewest (war) relics discovered. I got one to share with you. I found this about 4 inches deep (screaming clad quarter signal) at a home built in 1832 (still standing). Scavenger here on T-net identified it for me. I was completely blown away, as I had no clue what a Pummel was. Included is a picture of one attached to the sword. It is an Officer's Sword.
Nice pommel. I have seen that style posted before and would love to dig one.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great button find Steve. I love the style of those particular buttons

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button i found one three years ago but mine has the letter A over the front of the eagle...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Steve! Those have always been one of my favorite style of buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions