Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this toasty LC few days ago. Finally got some of the dirt off the front to see the date. HOWEVER, the reverse looks totally toasted and it has a NON-Copper filling? I thought these coins were all copper!

Thanks for looking, any thoughts, insight will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-2669906359.jpg
    image-2669906359.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image-4165540466.jpg
    image-4165540466.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 4

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what makes you think it has a non-copper filling ? Are you seeing an edge that looks funky ?

(I'm wondering if what your seeing on the back is just a corrosive build up over the underlying surface - fertilizers can do
some freaky stuff to coins )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bartek

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what makes you think it has a non-copper filling ? Are you seeing an edge that looks funky ?

The back is so corroded, it shows brushed silver-colored metal.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
If its indeed not copper, it could very well be a cast counterfeit. I found one similar a while ago that Iron patch ID as a cast lead counterfeit. Your's could e pewter or something similar to that. Cool find! If in nice shape, there pretty collectible.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a counterfeit coin , neat find

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a nice Liberty Walking Half many years ago that was in nice shape with the exception that it was made of lead. :)
It was struck very nicely and would appear to be real with a reeded edge but it felt to the touch as being greasy and when dropped on a table had the lead metal Thug instead of the Silver bell ring.
Some time, back in the days when a cent or 50 cents was really worth something they would be counterfeited!
I'm just waiting to find my first counterfeit zinc Lincoln, how would I tell the difference between a real one and a counterfeit?
I guess they are all fake at this point! :laughing7:
No one in their right mind today would even bother to counterfeit coins unless it's rare or valuable but counterfeits are out there and coming from china as collectable old coins.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come across two fake zincs metal is soft and you can bend with your finger
I found a nice Liberty Walking Half many years ago that was in nice shape with the exception that it was made of lead. :)
Some time, back in the days when a cent or 50 cents was really worth something they would be counterfeited!
I'm just waiting to find my first counterfeit zinc Lincoln, how would I tell the difference between a real one and a counterfeit? :laughing7:
No one in their right mind today would even bother to counterfeit coins unless it's rare or valuable but counterfeits are out there and coming from china as collectable old coins.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find, whichever way it goes.

Do you remember how it rang up on the Deus? That might give some insight into it's construction.

OP
OP
Bartek

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, whichever way it goes. Do you remember how it rang up on the Deus? That might give some insight into it's construction.

Not 100% but it was a high faint tone, the coin was about 8" deep. Sounded good enough to dig.

Thanks for all the comments!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not fake, all the coppers that I find look like that, including the 1838 I found. Who would go through all that trouble to fake a penny, only worth 15 cents in today's money. If that is a fake than it's a good one, all of the details match.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not fake, all the coppers that I find look like that, including the 1838 I found. Who would go through all that trouble to fake a penny, only worth 15 cents in today's money. If that is a fake than it's a good one, all of the details match.
I was thinking the same thing

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree likely not a fake. But remember counterfeit KG coppers are found all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread