The Fever

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
After many years of wanting a better detector than the toy one I got as a kid, then finding this site which helped me figure out how to maybe actually use one I finally decided to get an ACE 250.
My first dig was Easter Morning in my parent’s back yard. I found a good sounding ding and with my handy garden trowel started digging on my parent’s manicured lawn. After a while and 2 big holes I kept seeing all these shiny objects in the hole that made my heart jump that all turned out to be worms. I found ½ a brick and a nail. I figured I should quit before Dad saw the mess I made.
2nd dig.. In my own back yard. I got 2 feet off the driveway cement and the thing dinged and beeped like crazy every where. Not knowing exactly where to start at I tried to narrow it to one place. Ok so the hole was only 6”deep x 6”around at this point when I find my first real object. A pull tab! I was so excited! The thing actually worked! Scanned the hole again and of course it’s still dinging - it’s dinging everywhere. Enlarging the hole I found a nail. The hole is still dinging so I dig deeper. Then in the hole I see it. IT’S A COIN!! 1973 nickel 6” down. I did the “I found my first coin dance” and I'm on the hunt now and the hole is still dinging. I have it now,,, digging Fever.
By now the dirt is in a pile and getting bigger. I scan the pile and of course it dings. The hole dings - the pile dings and everywhere around it dings. I got a problem here. I went and got my kids saucer sled and put the dirt pile on the sled to sift thru it and drag it to a place where the ground isn’t dinging under it. Then sifting I saw gold … found the top of a kid’s bubble gum ring. Whooo Hooo its almost real jewelry!! And then my first bottle cap.
When the digging fever subsided I stood there and was Stunned at how completely the Fever took over. I was standing over a huge 12-14”diameter hole almost a foot deep with dirt everywhere all at where I had been trying to grow grass for years. That’s when I decided that until I get the hang of this thing and I if I am going to end up roto tilling the yard with a trowel I will be detecting in the garden.
My haul in order of appearance.. a pull tab, a short nail, A NICKLE!!!, top of a kids bubble gum ring, a bottle cap, another pull tab, a petrified plastic colorforms Bozo head, a long nail, and I think the cause of all the dinging... a 6” piece of sheet metal.

~~~
Minnie

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Oh yeah.....you definitely have the fever! I know just how you feel, I have just started and I am absolutely terrified to even start in my back yard because it dings so much I am afraid I would have no yard left! ::) :D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story Minnie! LOL...the hole :D, maybe a pinpointer would help you out until you get the hang of things?

They're pretty cheap and sure do save lots of time with recovery.....I've dug down 6-8" in hard pack before without recovering the mystery, got frustrated, covered the hole up and walked off, without ever finding out what was down their!

Thanks for sharing the experience / NS.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yup, you got it LOL. See warsawdaddy's post "cutting a plug" on the "everything else" board. It may save your lawn. Congrats on the detector good luck and HH.

kenb

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Welcome to TNet Minnie!!
Hope the new detector starts producing nice treasures soon, best of luck to you!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D LOL Great story Minnie and oh, how we can relate! Our free range chickens now follow us around when we practice in the yard as they know we'll be digging them dinner. Since the chickens dig and scratch, the kids dig and delve, and now Mom is digging, we've pretty much given up on the manicured lawn look. But that's why we live in the country. :)

Keep searching and posting your finds.
HH

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You go Minnie!

A nickel is the mark of a true digger, as opposed to a mere detectorist. They're an "iffy" signal that many ignore (or snub because they're "just nickels"). I think they're great and am happy when I find em. Dig enough nickels and you will find a few that miraculously turn into rings when sunlight hits them. :D That, or bottle caps. :P

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Welcome to the forums Minnie and thanks for such a humorous post. Just a bit of practice and you will be pinpointing with that Ace in no time.....In the meantime, keep on swingin'!

~Nash~

PLUMB50

Apr 10, 2007
MANASSAS VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250.whites blue &gray. metrotect.
Minnie,

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY! THANKS FOR THE SMILE. NEEDED THAT TO DAY. PLEASE WRITE MORE POSTS. ENJOYED VERY MUCH. :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D YEP!! YOU GOT THE FEVER. ENJOY YOU HUNTING......DOUG

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, I too can relate to your story because my house was built in 1922 and the yard is full of dings. I know they say to hunt in all metal mode and dig everything until you get the hang of it but that would have driven me crazy. I got my Ace 250 for Christmas and it has turned out to be a great little machine. I resorted to hunting in coin mode with the sensitivity cut down about 4 notches and it helped me in my yard. With you being the only one who will hunt there it won't hurt to do it that way till you get the hang of pinpointing and learn what the sounds mean. Then later you can hunt in jewelry or all metal mode and at the factory sensitivity setting. It's just something that helped me a bunch and you can piddle with the settings to set them where they won't drive you nuts. Good luck and burn them batteries up, lol...
DANGLANGLEY

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post Minnie and welcome to TNet. The fever hits everyone.

HH
Neal

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Ding Ding Ding, wait until you take off your headphones and still hear the Ding. Or you are eating supper and the door bell rings "Ding Dong" and you take your spoon and dig in the mashed potatoes.

Welcome and let us know how your next hunt goes.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D Go get 'em Minnie! 8)

Congrats on those finds!

Nana :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep your hooked --that first hits a killer--- the "habit" just gets worse there is no known cure ---after awhile you'll crave even stonger and more powerful detectors and digging tools--always remember in the end the dirt wins and gets everything mankind has ever made over time--so thats were its all the "old" cool stuff from the past is at in the ground---so enjoy and be sure to post photos----Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread