CW Relics: Sgts Mainspring Vise, Watch Winder, Bullets, & What Dman Really Wanted

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CW Relics: Sgt's Mainspring Vise, Watch Winder, Bullets, & What Dman Really Wanted

When I started relic hunting in 1995, a friend told me not to forget that after hot & cold weather that coins & relics “shift” in the soil. A target may not be picked up one year but, after summer heat and winter cold, you may get a good solid hit the next year. With Josh having worked last night and unable to go, Doug & I returned to a Dec. 1862 U.S. Infantry & Cavalry camp to see what we could find.
Doug had a nice find with the iron mainspring vise issued with the Springfield Rifles. These were only issued to Sergeants and used to compress the mainspring so the rifle could be worked on. He also dug a brass pocket watch winder, 2 hole underwear button, and a coat size low convex eagle button.
I dug 2 dropped .58s, pistol bullet, and what Doug enjoyed most-a bayonet tip. About 3 years ago, Doug recovered an 8-9 inch section of a bayonet in the same area where I dug the tip so I think I’ll consider that his and let him have it.
Thanks for looking & Merry Christmas from the Tennessee Trio Relic Hunters.

Attachments

• DSCN1444.JPG
    DSCN1444.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN1447.JPG
    DSCN1447.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 13
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks DI2, MM, OD (Old dude), Steve in PA, Donnie (Tenn. digger), F75PAhunter, BB, Nana, IM, Breezie, Nancy (Coilygirl), Msbeepbeep, Dawg, & Davers for stopping by.
Old Dude, the closest Doug ever got to the military was visiting his daughter at a U.S. Air Force base where she was assigned-LOL.
Modern Miner, he did buy my lunch but I had to buy him a piece of pie to take home.
BB, the only free gas you will get from Doug would be repulsive.
Donnie, he's been too busy at his store to sleep these days.
F75PAhunter, one of the .58s read only 2-4 (not 24 but 2 to 4)) & was only 7 in. deep.
Davers, Doug has an electrolysis set up. I'll leave that to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions