CW Relics: Sgts Mainspring Vise, Watch Winder, Bullets, & What Dman Really Wanted

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CW Relics: Sgt's Mainspring Vise, Watch Winder, Bullets, & What Dman Really Wanted

When I started relic hunting in 1995, a friend told me not to forget that after hot & cold weather that coins & relics “shift” in the soil. A target may not be picked up one year but, after summer heat and winter cold, you may get a good solid hit the next year. With Josh having worked last night and unable to go, Doug & I returned to a Dec. 1862 U.S. Infantry & Cavalry camp to see what we could find.
Doug had a nice find with the iron mainspring vise issued with the Springfield Rifles. These were only issued to Sergeants and used to compress the mainspring so the rifle could be worked on. He also dug a brass pocket watch winder, 2 hole underwear button, and a coat size low convex eagle button.
I dug 2 dropped .58s, pistol bullet, and what Doug enjoyed most-a bayonet tip. About 3 years ago, Doug recovered an 8-9 inch section of a bayonet in the same area where I dug the tip so I think I’ll consider that his and let him have it.
Thanks for looking & Merry Christmas from the Tennessee Trio Relic Hunters.

Attachments

• DSCN1444.JPG
    DSCN1444.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN1447.JPG
    DSCN1447.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 13

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds,the mainspring vise is a sweet find,don't see to many being found anymore.enjoyed the vid 'Merry Christmas-HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Guys. Should we start calling you guys the Tenn Vice now? :tongue3: Congrats to Dman on that vise relic that you don't see every day. Heck, I've never seen or even heard of one. Ya learn something new every day here on Tnet.
Mighty nice of you to give Dman that Q-tip too. Is that going to cost him a lunch? (or two)
Thanks for the video. :thumbsup:
-DUG-

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only did you find it, but you knew what it was! I would have just thought it another piece of farm junk, lol. I guess there are many scenarios as to how that underwear button got ripped off, but we'll just leave that alone, lol!
Merry Christmas to you guys too. Always enjoy the videos, pictures and banter from you 3.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt guys. I have found if I leave a "hunted out" site alone for a few years, some new signals will "materialize", which I have always attributed to shifting soils, especially due to deep freezes.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy....I enjoyed that. Still surprised that you can find ANYTHING in that place. I love the main spring vice, they are few and far between.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds there! I've never seen one of those vises before! Does Doug always make you dig up the relics for him while he sleeps in the truck?

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds there! I've never seen one of those vises before! Does Doug always make you dig up the relics for him while he sleeps in the truck?
Not only that BB but he was running the engine burning my gas while he was snuggy warm & asleep-LOL. HH my friend, Q.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the heck do you know all this stuff?! That's why I always call you for ID's. hahahaha! Great stuff still coming from that place. Congrats on all the keepers!
WTG!
Nana :hello:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
A little nap never hurt anyone and it's easy to dig relics when I am sleeping. I have dreamed of some of the best finds ever. LOL

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dman, they don't understand. A military man takes a nap when he can because we might get called into duty at a moment's notice! Civilians!!! Huh?

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the iron relics that we dig! Congrats guys!! Merry Christmas Quindy and may you have another successful year in 2015!!

IM

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As usual, GREAT hunt and GREAT video! Congrats on the finds especially the iron mainspring; that's a rare one for sure! Way to go y'all :) Breezie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only that BB but he was running the engine burning my gas while he was snuggy warm & asleep-LOL. HH my friend, Q.

Did he fill up the tank for you on the way home? Haha!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman I find relics in my sleep too,it's a rare talent. Kudos to Quindy for finding the bayonet tip and completing Doug's. I think a forum here for people looking to complete their relics from bits others have found would be a great idea and may suggest it to the mods. Anyone else think this would be a good idea? Nice hunt fellas.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic saves! Cool vice!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:cake: Springfield rifle mainspring vise issued only to sarge is interesting , Very kool relic and learn something new every day .

Ho ho ho to your gang :occasion14:

:munky2:damn those dying for attention monkees that

try to highjack other peoples banner threads .. humility is such a decent trait , try it sometime !

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds'
Q, Would the Vise be a Good Candidate for Electrolysis ? Or maybe a Week or 2 in Apple cider Vinegar?
I prefer the electrolysis.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions