3 MORE COINS FROM SITE! COB, CUT SPANISH & 1682 DUTCH 1/2 STUIVER!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a great day all the way around! Weather, finds, permission! :headbang:

After talking to the farmer and getting permission to mow down an unused field i've wanted to re-detect (confirmed early 18th century site) I headed back over to my beaten to death colonial site - the only one I have right now that I can detect - for 3 1/2 hours of swinging.

I wanted to bring my camera to document but the last time i did that I broke it (hard on equipment) so I decided early on that if I found something good I'd take it home and "shoot" the reveal.

So, this day I decided to hunt the outer areas of the site and use the Deus w/ 13 x 11 coil. Reactivity 2/3, silencer 2, sens 80-85, full tones, disc 5, manual ground 88, 18 khz.

Immediately I got a faint whisper and out popped the cob. I saw the cross and stuck the clod in my pocket. All day long I wanted to look at that bad boy! lol. About 2 hours in I got a beautiful "tight" sounding 81 signal and saw the sliver in the clod. I knew what it was immediately and put the chunk of silty soil in my pocket. The rest of the day I just kept digging anything that resembled a decent tone. I was fooled by chunks of iron all day but who cares. At one point near the end of the day I lost my pinpointer and went looking for it. After I found it where I used it last :o) , it was time to roll on home so I made my way back to get my jacket i had shed earlier and my small coil. Thats when I popped out what I thought was a token but it fact after cleaning turned out to be a 1682 Groningen, Netherlands billon 1/2 stuiver! Thats got to be a scarce find for the East coast of the USA!

Sorry for all the pics but its mostly for the reveal...

CIMG4854.JPG CIMG4860.JPG CIMG4864.JPG CIMG4865.JPG CIMG4867.JPG CIMG4869.JPG CIMG4870.JPG

Upvote 5

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... amazing ... another good day for you... almost have a full pie... heh... see if any of those slices fit together.
Um... oh that beer looks really good as well.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wanted to show these wee pieces of lead shot I found with the big coil. With the sens set at 80ish on the DEUS the big coil has no problem finding these tiny pieces - and at depth to boot! This wheat penny fooled me into thinking i had another really old coin!

CIMG4937.JPG CIMG4938.JPG

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, seems a lot of guys are tearing it up with the DEUS lately. I think you guys are on to something there....now I will go have a beer.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, you are slaying that site, CP! What a wave you must be riding right now! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow... amazing ... another good day for you... almost have a full pie... heh... see if any of those slices fit together.
Um... oh that beer looks really good as well.

4 Spanish silver in 2 hunts. Its been a long, long time since I've done that. Like the olden days when I had all the time in the world.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, seems a lot of guys are tearing it up with the DEUS lately. I think you guys are on to something there....now I will go have a beer.
The Deus is helping for sure. No doubt about that. But I'll bet its also because I currently have plenty of time to really work the site like it needed to be worked.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! Love to see this stuff coming out of the ground (especially when I'm the one finding it - LOL). You're on a nice early site!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude, you are slaying that site, CP! What a wave you must be riding right now! :occasion14:

Indeed I am. Several brews in now and feelin' good. The finds are super dont get me wrong but I already miss the swinging of the coil. Thats when you know you got it bad - the bug. But hey, its the thrill of the hunt that REALLY matters anyway.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man I hate you guys:laughing7:I take it you live in Europe?Those cobbs are something special,I have always dreamed of finding one.I see you have the right idea,there is nothing like looking at freshly found finds over a nice tall glass of the bubbly,and don't tell me its apple cider.Very nice stuff!HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff! Love to see this stuff coming out of the ground (especially when I'm the one finding it - LOL). You're on a nice early site!

This is either 8 or 9 colonial silvers from this site! Its close to being one of the best I ever hunted! This is the 1st cob rom the site and the 1st 1600s dated coin. Awesome!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job sniffing out those colonial coins. Sites like this are not easy to come by - enjoy it while it lasts. BTW, I've seen others make banner with days like the one you had. Lately it seems the banner standards have been raised a bit.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice coin trifecta!! My favorite is the cob although that Dutch coin is one I never see down this way.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IWANNA SEE THE BENT ONE CLEAN!!! ............ heh
Or even "cleaner"... wanna make out with it... kiss my screen lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions