May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD and me.

Had a plan, a simple one, get up early, hunt all day, and get old Silver.
Everything was going according to plan, left before sun up, hunted all day.
In fact didn't quit till this pic. was taken.

IMG_1388.JPG

Just didn't get any silver, one copper each was all she wrote for coins.
Still good just to get out at this time of year I guess.
Did have me one of those nitro moments when I saw this in a plug.

MVI_1386.jpg

I just don't find these in fields, but quickly realized just plated, but a keeper to me as is no doubt old.
Ended with an ox knob, and a half dozen buttons.
1 drilled shank type, and
a Nova Scotia Militia button, but this one is different, as they (as I understand) usually have an iron back, this one doesn't. (head scratch) I know some others have found this button, does anyone know about the different backs ?

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

Upvote 10

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you wore your arm off today Rick. Sorry about no silver, but you do have a nice pile of buttons. Glad you guys could get out and enjoy an all-day hunt at this time of year. I would imagine that's a rare thing for mid-Dec.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do all day hunts much anymore but I always liked the non-rushed feeling it gives. Time to really listen and hear what might be hiding down there.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you wore your arm off today Rick. Sorry about no silver, but you do have a nice pile of buttons. Glad you guys could get out and enjoy an all-day hunt at this time of year. I would imagine that's a rare thing for mid-Dec.

Yes Bill nearly did wear, not so much my arm, but my shoulder, as is quite bad. My regular Teknetics machine is on the fritz, so was using AT Pro with small coil (5 X 8), and one smallish item left out of the pic was found at a solid 8-9 inches, and also not shown was a piece of an old iron pot about 2.5 inch diameter, that without exaggeration was pulled out from 15-16 inches.

Yes we usually have way too much snow by now, so it is nice for a change.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Bill nearly did wear, not so much my arm, but my shoulder, as is quite bad. My regular Teknetics machine is on the fritz, so was using AT Pro with small coil (5 X 8), and one smallish item left out of the pic was found at a solid 8-9 inches, and also not shown was a piece of an old iron pot about 2.5 inch diameter, that without exaggeration was pulled out from 15-16 inches.

Yes we usually have way too much snow by now, so it is nice for a change.

My partner Dan uses an AT Gold with the small coil and gets the same kind of depth you're talking about. Pretty amazing machine for the cost.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With this mild trend that's happening now is a lot different story that we had a year ago. The ring must been a heart stopper for sure when you first layer eyes on it. Buttons, and a LC with a few pieces of lead is still an ok day for this time of the year.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sun up to sun down and ya'll didn't find any silver. You did however find some really nice items. And considering the time of year it's amazing you're still able to get out and hunt. Hope the weather holds for you so you can get back out there again.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this mild trend that's happening now is a lot different story that we had a year ago. The ring must been a heart stopper for sure when you first layer eyes on it. Buttons, and a LC with a few pieces of lead is still an ok day for this time of the year.

Yeah it was, in fact I took a short video, and held it up in the air, and yelled at Dave, before I took a real look at it, I guess I just wasn't expecting a fake at this kind of site, I mean we found relics to mid 1600's at this place, and NO modern junk. I guess that's why even though the ring is "junk" is still a keeper.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
An all day hunt these days is sadly only about eight to nine hours, I've had a couple of marathon digs that were as long as twelve or so.
A few more hours may have produced that silver for ya!
still great to be digging this time of year!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got your share of silver for the year son......remember that big 8 reale :laughing7:

At least you got a full day hunt in in mid December. How often do you get to do that?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said, nothing wrong with that old ring as it is likely very old! Great to be out at this time of year....congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting button buddy and I love those drilled shanks. As said before it's pretty remarkable that you were able to get out at all

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy, we didn't get any silver but we had an awesome day. Remember the little cemetery beside the field 20141215_105932.jpg ,

I was thinking that maybe this ring belonged to the this young lady
20141215_105748.jpg the inscription reads "Here lies Elizabeth wife of Abner Morse who departed her life August the 27th 1792 in the 36th year of here age"

her husband Capt. Abner Morse is laid to rest beside her. what a personal item to find and I vote that we go back and bury the little ring back with the two of them.
ZDD

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS Dave for adding that, cool, interesting, and informative.
I don't mind saying so that's not a bad idea, I guess I am a bit sentimental, and tracking down decendants would be more work than I'm willing to do, just putting the ring there would be a "good thing". My display won't miss it, nor will I.

"awesome day"...yes it was especially the last part. I didn't even post the 40+ very hard boiled eggs I found.

I hope you get another day off before the freeze.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Rick...looks like you may have a French Marines button there too!

I think you guys were pretty close to my neck of the woods...familiar geography there! :icon_thumleft:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a sharp eye the Romeo, we were just east of some of your favorite sites. if the weather holds up we should look at getting together for a hunt sometime over the holidays.
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS Dave for adding that, cool, interesting, and informative.
I don't mind saying so that's not a bad idea, I guess I am a bit sentimental, and tracking down decendants would be more work than I'm willing to do, just putting the ring there would be a "good thing". My display won't miss it, nor will I.

"awesome day"...yes it was especially the last part. I didn't even post the 40+ very hard boiled eggs I found.

I hope you get another day off before the freeze.
We will make a 222 year old ring return post out of it. Should be good for an Honorable mention I would think.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread