UPDATE: 1659 LORD BALTIMORE SIXPENCE AUTHENTICATED, GRADED AND SLABBED - PICS!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not long after making this incredible find I made contact with one of the country's leading colonial coin experts, John Kraljevich in SC, thanks to a reference given by my friend Don in SJ. A very short time later John actually came by my house while in the area and took the coin with him to perform some careful, professional cleaning. Not all of the greenish surface corrosion could be removed without damaging the coin, but it was a definite improvement. He then shipped it off to PCGS for authentication, grading and slabbing. As John had told me when he first saw the coin, the details were exceptional and the coin graded out at a very high Extra Fine (EF). It was placed in a nice, labeled holder and returned to John, and he then sent it to a coin photographer he uses on the West Coast for a few pics. The coin is in route to me now, and I should finally have it back in my hands today or tomorrow after being gone for 2 months. John forwarded some of the images taken of the sixpence which I'm sharing below. As far as value, the 2015 Red Book lists the Lord Baltimore sixpence in EF condition as worth $14,000, and only about 60 are known to exist, including a hoard of 19 of them recovered in England about 15 years ago which unfortunately drove down the price. Mine along with a 4 pence groat and copper denarium dug by my friends Stan and Audie a few years ago are the only known Lord Baltimore examples to have been dug in the US. However, due to the damage from being holed it would probably only sell for about half that price to a serious collector at auction per John's opinion. But as I've said before, this baby will NOT be sold. So once I receive the coin back from the photographer I have to consider this saga to finally be at its end. But I will never forget that day when I plucked this beauty out from the middle of nowhere in a huge field, and I was happy to be able to share that moment with my good friend Joey.

For those that did not get a chance to read the original post about this find you can click on the link below:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ilver-sixpence-dug-yesterday.html#post4211462

I'm also just finishing up a full-length article on this find for one of the major detecting magazines. It should be published next spring.

Attachments

• lord baltimore slab1a.png
    lord baltimore slab1a.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 640
  • lord baltimore slab2a.png
    lord baltimore slab2a.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 493
  • red book labeled.jpg
    red book labeled.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 446
  • lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 34

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting this Bill. That's a nice grade and I can deal with the simple "holed". That's as good a result as you could hope fit on a dug coin. Congrats my friend. Makes me wonder if I should send my PTS out. If it would come back with just a grade and the holed designation I prob would do it. What an incredible find Bill. That's the collaboration of a lot of years of hard work and dedication. I will say in a but surprised that the hole would cut the value in half as I believed that was more widely accepted to collectors of something like that. Happy holidays buddy, Abe

Abe - I'm glad I sent it off and got it authenticated and graded, and its ready to go if I should ever decide to sell it down the road. Plus it was fairly inexpensive. But the big negative is that I'll never get to hold the actual coin in my hand again unless I decide to crack open the slab. Maybe you could send in yours and get it graded without having it put in a permanent holder. Not sure if they'll do that but it might be worth looking into. Let me know what you decide to do. And may all your Christmases be (non-) white. Hey, you need to get out and hunt, don't you??

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome what a spectacular find. Congrats on the amazing success and thanks for sharing.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't seem like 10 weeks since you found this fantastic coin. I'm sure after 2 months you're itchin' to get your hands on it again. When I first read that you had It slabbed, I had the same thought that the plastic tomb would create a degree of separation. I like that feeling and historic connection I have while holding a lot of my finds especially something this special. The upside? You have extra protection to keep it a rare and outstanding coin. I'd give it a double Banner! :thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - I'm glad I sent it off and got it authenticated and graded, and its ready to go if I should ever decide to sell it down the road. Plus it was fairly inexpensive. But the big negative is that I'll never get to hold the actual coin in my hand again unless I decide to crack open the slab. Maybe you could send in yours and get it graded without having it put in a permanent holder. Not sure if they'll do that but it might be worth looking into. Let me know what you decide to do. And may all your Christmases be (non-) white. Hey, you need to get out and hunt, don't you??

Yes I wish I had time to hunt right now buddy. I am so busy right now it's out of control. But I was just offered a salaried position with a great company and the thought of not killing myself at work is a pleasant one.
As far as the coin goes in really torn right now. I guess if it came back with a decent grade and just the holed designation id be quite happy with that. But I do enjoy pulling it out on occasion and putting it in my fingers......and sleeping with it lol. Ok only a couple times. Then my girlfriend got mad :-)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great just to lay eyes on that coin again. Its clear that your "baby" was treated well while she was away. What a great preservation job.

Last edited:

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new information Bill. It couldn't be better. I'm not in this for the money, which is good since for coins, it's all about the quality.. But you got such a great find and in great shape that it's just incredible all the way round- pretty exciting eh?
Thanks for the update and for your encouragement that this area can be hot.. I know mine's just in that "next yard" under my coil any day now.. hahaha.
It looks even better all cleaned and packaged, I don't know how you let it out of your sight tho! VERY COOL !
(I would love to find something with that Maryland Coat on it.)

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never grow tired of looking at that amazing coin. Congrats again on digging it - you deserve it. Can't think of anyone that puts more into and give more back to colonial America relic recovery and preservation.

Thanks Ken - I really appreciate the kind words.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great result, and obviously you can't do anything about the hole, but since it was there and looked at as the most significant issue, it actually worked in your favor a little because they didn't further scrutinize about environmental damage or cleaning. The hole is there plain as day so not a big deal the label says so, but with no additional comments makes it seem like a straight XF grade, and since many of these seem to have been holed maybe that helps a little on value, or perception.... because something like this really has to go to auction to determine the value. I guess what I'm saying is I really hate seeing the words environmental damage or cleaned on a graded coin.

Anyway, I totally agree, that's one to keep and I certainly wouldn't part with it.

You're exactly right IP. With no mention of cleaning or environmental damage on the PCGS holder that will definitely work in my favor one day (way) down the road should I decide to part with it. Don't think it would ever approach Red Book value, but it definitely wouldn't be considered chump change.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, from a market perspective, how the hole would affect the value, but I like it with the hole and it only adds to one superbad coin in fantastic shape. And the conditions in which you found it just make it all the better. Wow, wow, wow.

Most astounding is to contemplate the odds of finding something so small and so rare in a world so big. Makes the odds of winning the Powerball sound easy.

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Congrats on getting it holdered! It's been a pleasure seeing your finds here on Treasurenet, and gives us all hope that these kinds of finds are out there.

Regarding the "holed" designation, I believe PCGS only lists the biggest "problem" with the coin on the holder. So, in this case, the hole is noted. Which works out for the better, as noted above to not mention any possible "environmental damage." the ".98" after the coin designation number (33), indicates the issue that was used. I've attached a pic I found of the various extensions they can use.

I guess it's better than the old ANACS slabs like the one attached too!

Attachments

• PCGS Designations.jpg
    PCGS Designations.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 1829_label.jpg
    1829_label.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting it holdered! It's been a pleasure seeing your finds here on Treasurenet, and gives us all hope that these kinds of finds are out there.

Regarding the "holed" designation, I believe PCGS only lists the biggest "problem" with the coin on the holder. So, in this case, the hole is noted. Which works out for the better, as noted above to not mention any possible "environmental damage." the ".98" after the coin designation number (33), indicates the issue that was used. I've attached a pic I found of the various extensions they can use.

I guess it's better than the old ANACS slabs like the one attached too!

Thanks for that info. Now I can decipher the codes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole couldn't possibly detract from the value too much but you would never know unless you went to auction. Looks great Bill and I'm glad I was able to hold it before it was slabbed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

Unfortunately it probably would because in the world of the high rollers this is not near as rare a coin as it is on this website. You very well might have a bidding war, but those bidders will no doubt be very familiar with past sales and likely have a cap of how high they'd go, because they know there will always be another come up for sale at some point. Just think of a Disme vs a Half Disme. Both would definitely be great enough finds to knock our socks of here, but a Half Disme at auction would under perform if holed, but a 1 Disme as rare as they are no question would have quite a bidding War and even if holed maybe surpass the book value or suspected price... all about demand. All this is speculation of course based on my own opinion, but the people who tend to buy these coins already have one, if there was already one out there for money to buy.

Last edited:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, I believe I could take better photos for you. So when you get your incredible coin back you can send it on to me and I'll shoot you some gorgeous photos. The gentleman who cleaned your coin for you did an amazing job. And who cares if it's holed? How many people do any of us know who've found one with or without a hole? Your find is a once in a lifetime and I seriously doubt any of us will see another found in the States posted here. So ruffle up your feathers, puff out your chest my friend because you should be very proud.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally back in my possession ..........

lord baltimore in slab.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see it back in your mitt Bill, really now how many times have you stared at the coin?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see it back in your mitt Bill, really now how many times have you stared at the coin?

I'm not sure, but I haven't let go of it yet .... haha.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Congrats! You have an amazing collection and love seeing your post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread