UPDATE: 1659 LORD BALTIMORE SIXPENCE AUTHENTICATED, GRADED AND SLABBED - PICS!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not long after making this incredible find I made contact with one of the country's leading colonial coin experts, John Kraljevich in SC, thanks to a reference given by my friend Don in SJ. A very short time later John actually came by my house while in the area and took the coin with him to perform some careful, professional cleaning. Not all of the greenish surface corrosion could be removed without damaging the coin, but it was a definite improvement. He then shipped it off to PCGS for authentication, grading and slabbing. As John had told me when he first saw the coin, the details were exceptional and the coin graded out at a very high Extra Fine (EF). It was placed in a nice, labeled holder and returned to John, and he then sent it to a coin photographer he uses on the West Coast for a few pics. The coin is in route to me now, and I should finally have it back in my hands today or tomorrow after being gone for 2 months. John forwarded some of the images taken of the sixpence which I'm sharing below. As far as value, the 2015 Red Book lists the Lord Baltimore sixpence in EF condition as worth $14,000, and only about 60 are known to exist, including a hoard of 19 of them recovered in England about 15 years ago which unfortunately drove down the price. Mine along with a 4 pence groat and copper denarium dug by my friends Stan and Audie a few years ago are the only known Lord Baltimore examples to have been dug in the US. However, due to the damage from being holed it would probably only sell for about half that price to a serious collector at auction per John's opinion. But as I've said before, this baby will NOT be sold. So once I receive the coin back from the photographer I have to consider this saga to finally be at its end. But I will never forget that day when I plucked this beauty out from the middle of nowhere in a huge field, and I was happy to be able to share that moment with my good friend Joey.

For those that did not get a chance to read the original post about this find you can click on the link below:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ilver-sixpence-dug-yesterday.html#post4211462

I'm also just finishing up a full-length article on this find for one of the major detecting magazines. It should be published next spring.

Attachments

• lord baltimore slab1a.png
    lord baltimore slab1a.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 640
  • lord baltimore slab2a.png
    lord baltimore slab2a.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 493
  • red book labeled.jpg
    red book labeled.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 446
  • lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 34

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! Looks fantastic!!! I am Virginia too, Fairfax!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this Bill. That's a nice grade and I can deal with the simple "holed". That's as good a result as you could hope fit on a dug coin. Congrats my friend. Makes me wonder if I should send my PTS out. If it would come back with just a grade and the holed designation I prob would do it. What an incredible find Bill. That's the collaboration of a lot of years of hard work and dedication. I will say in a but surprised that the hole would cut the value in half as I believed that was more widely accepted to collectors of something like that. Happy holidays buddy, Abe

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad John took care of you! Terrific find.

Don

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
So glad John took care of you! Terrific find.

Don

Don - I wanted to thank you again for steering me in the right direction. John and his buddy Erik are super guys and have unlimited knowledge regarding colonial relics and coins. It was a great privilege to get to meet them, and now have them as valued friends and colleagues. John's even taken up detecting , and I'm anxious to see how that goes. Take care .... Bill

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never grow tired of looking at that amazing coin. Congrats again on digging it - you deserve it. Can't think of anyone that puts more into and give more back to colonial America relic recovery and preservation.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the update Bill. That's a beautiful rare coin that's worth some serious dough. That's what I love about this hobby, you never know what that next signal will be & there's always a chance for something really special.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly an amazing find! Congratulations! There is probably no greater joy than the moment you saw that silver gleaming in the plug you dug!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime right there. Great work with the cleaning. Wonder what he used to clean it?

Congratulations again,

Buck

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is motivation for all of us to keep swinging our coils, as you never know what may be in the next plug we cut! I'm looking forward to reading your article as well. You did a great job on the details of the hunt when you found it. That is the best find I have seen posted in my 4 years in this hobby! How does one ever top that? I bet you'll keep swinging your coil and who knows what will be in the next plug. Great job Bill!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great result, and obviously you can't do anything about the hole, but since it was there and looked at as the most significant issue, it actually worked in your favor a little because they didn't further scrutinize about environmental damage or cleaning. The hole is there plain as day so not a big deal the label says so, but with no additional comments makes it seem like a straight XF grade, and since many of these seem to have been holed maybe that helps a little on value, or perception.... because something like this really has to go to auction to determine the value. I guess what I'm saying is I really hate seeing the words environmental damage or cleaned on a graded coin.

Anyway, I totally agree, that's one to keep and I certainly wouldn't part with it.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
An exceptional coin with a fitting grade. Pics turned out great as well Bill. Can't wait to see it in person in a couple months.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good Bill, I bet you can't wait to get that baby back in your hands!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole couldn't possibly detract from the value too much but you would never know unless you went to auction. Looks great Bill and I'm glad I was able to hold it before it was slabbed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill for the update on the coin, crazy that a couple of months has gone by already since you posted it up, nice grading and looking forward in reading the article in the spring.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find again! Your finds always reflect your research and dedication to the hobby. Exceptional coin.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update Bill! Again, what an amazing find and congrats again to you! Looks like I'll start using PCGS for my higher grade coins. Mine in the past, got labeled "Environmental Damage" even if they looked AU! Merry Christmas and may you have just as successful year in 2015!!!

IM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread