Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's Finds

Hi all. Went back to the corn field for one more hunt before I return to work. Was happy to find my first big copper from this field.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419028691.108090.jpg

Once I got home, I decided to use a toothpick to see if I could get an idea of what it was. GAP Metal ( Gary ) taught me that this is the very best first step of cleaning an old copper. He has been doing this a long time, and being a great, selfless member, shared his knowledge with me. After the picking, I could see this was my second big copper with absolutely NO details to hint at what it used to be....some days it is PBR and potted meat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419029108.499630.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419029137.261465.jpg

Upvote 14

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Dude
Thanks for the kind words .to bad you could not bring out the date in that big copper...but the thrill was still there !
I learned that wood method of cleaning copper coins and buttons ...From Buck ( Buckleboy of The Cain Field Bandits )
Down in Louisiana ...we all share good ideas.
Gary

You got it, Gary! I still appreciate the day you pm'ed me with the tip. Buck has an awesome post on cleaning buttons on this forum too!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You promised you wouldn't put my pic up on the net!:angry4:
Don't mind me, I'm going through a serious case of diggers withdrawal

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't mind me, I'm going through a serious case of diggers withdrawal

Why do you think I made the videos and posts over the last 3 days? I knew you'd feel just like you were there:laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one OD, but like Steve said you have to take the bad with the good when it comes to those coppers. And believe me, I've found many more like yours than I have nice ones. Doesn't help that I hunt fertilized fields.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still not sure what's worse .....finding an unidentifiable copper or not finding one at all. If you don't find one it's over and there's nothing to think about. If you do you have to constantly wonder if it was that chain cent or Fugio or oops sorry OD. That may be a super valuable very early and rare copper lol. Hey bud it's a good sign anyway. Somebody was there with someone's a very long time ago.aybe silver somewhere.
I haven't had a day off in weeks and I'm going out in the am. Then work in the afternoon. But I need some coil time

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think I made the videos and posts over the last 3 days? I knew you'd feel just like you were there:laughing7:

Thanks buddy, I'm glad your looking out for me

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good find OD. When i dug a 1794 LC, Breezie told me to sprinkle baby powder on the front, blow it off to bring out the detail & it worked. Then, i cleaned it, gave it a good peroxide bath, & coated it with saddle soap. MC & HH, Q.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well at least you can say that you're digging something new that can be called a coin. Chances are if there was one there has to be another one lurking in the soils close by. As far as getting an ID off this disk is low but the next one might be crisp and the urge to post it will be paramount, good luck on the return hunt.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seriously Old Dude, even though your copper was toasted it still " shines" in my eyes, large cents are so stately.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coily, you're just too nice to say mean things like Abe does, lol.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah thank you but I've been known to be a little catty sometimes,meow!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find O.D.,It is a shame when they are toasted but still a neat piece of history either way and exciting to see turn up.I love potted meat and mustard,I just try not to read the ingredients while I am eating it:).Cool looking dogs,looked like they were having a good time too.HH Dude!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks DI2! They have a little too much energy and get into trouble if you don't tire them out lol. This week I found my 3 favorite things: old lead, old buttons and old coppers. A good way to close 2014 out.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so frustratingly cool. There is just enough details in that thing to "see" anything and everything. At least it has some interest. The one that I have is absolutely flat! Featureless! null and void, Just a beautifully round chip with a great green patina. lol Still, a whole lot better than a flip top!
HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your LC! I say you assign what ever date you want to it, with in the parameters of it's size and weight! If some one gives you grief I'll back you on it! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your LC! I say you assign what ever date you want to it, with in the parameters of it's size and weight! If some one gives you grief I'll back you on it! :icon_thumleft:

Lol, MBB. I was hoping to see a discussion on whether everyone thought a coin would lose around 30% of it's weight. I know we really don't know for sure but it would be a good debate. Maybe I will have to start a thread on the topic if no one discusses it here.
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Merry Christmas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions