🥇 BANNER Rarest US Silver coin minted in the 20th century found 1901 S Barber Quarter

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Attachments

• DSC02765 copy.jpg
    DSC02765 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • image2-1 copy.jpg
    image2-1 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 969
Upvote 109

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not the rarest coin of the 20th century. 1913 liberty V nickel is. Only FIVE known. One sold at an auction for over 3 million $$$$$. Nice coin u got anyway.

Actually if you read Dr.Tones original subject line it says "Rarest US Silver coin" The V nickel is not a silver coin. I believe his original title is correct. Rarest does not always mean highest price either, just rarity.

Don

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Actually if you read Dr.Tones original subject line it says "Rarest US Silver coin" The V nickel is not a silver coin. I believe his original title is correct. Rarest does not always mean highest price either, just rarity.

Don

If "rarest" means mintage, then I believe earlier a member noted that the 1916 SLQ has a mintage of 52,000. Also, the 1995-W Proof ASE has a mintage of a little more than 30,000. Also, one could argue that 1964 SMS coins are up there in terms of rarity/mintage. Now, if "rarest" means surviving examples, then that may be a more difficult task to determine, since many silver coins have been melted. I suppose there is a legit 1964 Peace dollar floating around there somewhere too.

We can all agree that it's a scarce coin, and one we would all love to have in our collections!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While the 1901-S Barber Quarter is extremely rare and very sought after, it is not the rarest Silver coin minted in the 20th Century. The rarest Silver coin minted in the 20th Century is the 1922 "Matte Finish" High Relief Proof Peace Dollar! One could argue the facts that the 1901-S Barber Quarter was minted for circulation and the 1922 "Matte Finish" High Relief Proof Peace Dollar was not. In any case, it's value still surpasses probably most values of the 1901-S Barber Quarter in all grades and especially so in the higher grades.

Frank

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soapy for you dude! Well deserved!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

First Off Awesome Coin , I can only wish to dig one.
Davers

Mostly wanted to show the 'Red book' Values for your Coin.
G-4=5.600
VG-8=12.100
F-12=16.000
VF-20=$21.000
EF-40=$26.000

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job, Getting Paid For Doing what U love.

Ok guys... Final results... Sd at auction for $6251.00!!! Great day of diggin!!!!

This is all my Opinion.
&
Not meant to be Mean.:notworthy:
But
IMO
You Got Ripped Off.
But Again that's todays market...I guess.
Also my opinion , That "Details " Label did you in. tho you did need to have it 'Authenticated '.
How much in Fees Did you have to pay?
Does one have to pay Taxes on such a Sell?

I personally would have kept it for my Son or the Future.
My price would have been $15.000 at the least.
Like I said that's just me.

Heck you might as well reap the benefits of your finds while you can.
For in the end it's only another piece of silver.

If your Happy ..that's what really matters.

Again...My Opinion
Davers:thumbsup:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my latest issue of W & E Treasures magazine. Congratulations on making the one of the "Best Finds of 2014". Well deserved..............Rich

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This is all my Opinion.
&
Not meant to be Mean.:notworthy:
But
IMO
You Got Ripped Off.
But Again that's todays market...I guess.
Also my opinion , That "Details " Label did you in. tho you did need to have it 'Authenticated '.
How much in Fees Did you have to pay?
Does one have to pay Taxes on such a Sell?

I personally would have kept it for my Son or the Future.
My price would have been $15.000 at the least.
Like I said that's just me.

Heck you might as well reap the benefits of your finds while you can.
For in the end it's only another piece of silver.

If your Happy ..that's what really matters.

Again...My Opinion
Davers:thumbsup:

I am writing this reply to Davers post in hopes that it will help others as well as help Dr. Tones in case he makes another rare coin find in the future and decides to have it certified and sell it in an Auction venue. Please understand that I in no way, want to take away from this rare find and this Thread! I applaud Dr. Tones for the find and for posting this Thread which walks one through the processes from start to finish (find, verification, certification and sale)!

I agree that Dr. Tones did not get a price deserving of this rare coin! When putting a coin up for auction, one must choose wisely which companies or venues are best based on the successes of each of these and based on their' fees that they charge, so that the owner of the coin comes out with a better chunk of the price the coin brings. In this case, I believe that eBay would likely have been a much better Auction venue due to the much higher amount of potential viewers and bidders than most, if not all other venues (see the examples at the links - 1901 s 25c Barber Quarter PCGS VG 8 | eBay & 1901 s 25c Barber Quarter PCGS VG 8 | eBay). Yes, the details grade(**) was very detrimental to the price that the coin realized at auction but more so, the word "Damage" and the eye appeal of the coin, were the main factors that harmed it from garnering a much higher price. In fact, the porosity of the coin due to corrosion and the large scratch/gouge running North to South across much of the Bust, were likely the biggest factors that prevented it from receiving the price it deserved due to it's rarity. (**) When a coin is graded, the Graders assess the overall details condition of the coin (AU-50 details, EF-40 details or other) and then assess any and all detractors from that grade (i.e. corrosion, damage, weak strike, etc.) and assign a grade based on subtracting the detractors score from the details grade score. If no actual grade is given, then they give it a Details Grade or Net Grade with notations such as Net VF with EF details or something similar to that. Determing the best Third Party Grading Service to use for the outcome you want must be considered. Some Third Party Grading Services will not assign an actual grade to a coin that has damage or corrosion and only give it a Details Grade while others will assign a Net Grade with notations, so you must choose wisely which one is best based on these factors. All in all, one learns such things through trial and error but if lucky, from good sound advice!

Since Dr. Tones has not answered a couple of questions, I will address them! Most Auction Houses and venues for coins outside of eBay, charge anywhere from 15% to 35% to the Owner/Seller of the coin when it sells. Also, most Auction Houses charge the Buyer the same or higher depending upon what they charge the Owner/Seller (i.e. if the Owner/Seller is charged 15%, then usually the Buyer is charged 25% to 35%, if the Owner/Seller is charged 35%, then the Buyer is usually charged the same but not always). Yes, you are supposed to pay taxes on the revenue that you made on the coin! However, if you are a licensed business and do metal detecting/recoveries in your' business, then you can write off the fees paid to have the coin certified and possibly graded including shipping, the fees paid to the Auction House or venue and you should be able to write off the mileage to where the coin was found and back home as well as wear and tear on all equipment used (truck, car or jeep and metal detector including the batteries used) but there is no guarantee here.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions