🥇 BANNER Rarest US Silver coin minted in the 20th century found 1901 S Barber Quarter

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Attachments

• DSC02765 copy.jpg
    DSC02765 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • image2-1 copy.jpg
    image2-1 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 109

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all congrats on a major find! Awesome just awesome!
Guess you now have your avatar!
I am amazed at it's near perfect condition for a dug coin! Fantastic!
Banner for sure!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always amazes me how much you pay for these types of coin, at maybe close to $20,000 I would have little choice but to sell it, so the owner could get their fair share. Big Congrats on the jackpot find! (vote already in)

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find,Congrats on your early Christmas banner! RJ

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the scratches and the porous look, wouldn't be surprised to see it net a Fine in grade. However, at auction, I would bet it would definitely sell for higher than a Fine price. Problems aside, it just looks great!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is in very nice condition and being a key date makes it even better $$$$ congrats...

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner vote in, Doc. Great find! Get it cleaned and slabbed, and keep it in your safe or bank safe-deposit box, and there's your retirement/rainy day money right there. Once its slabbed, grade and authenticity is locked down, and its quick money should you ever need it. Its also legacy to pass on to your kin. This is me just rambling, so take it for what its worth. I am so envious! Such a wonderful find, brother. You done good! :notworthy:

This thread merits the happy dance!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DT that's an INCREDIBLE find man. But being a "newer" coin helps in the decision whether to sell or not. Yes there are people like Bill D and I that just can't bare to let an old one go lol. Obviously your coin is WAY more valuable than mine and the money you could get for that is a literal life changer. Congrats on your Banner bro and the find of a lifetime

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great find and the vote is in also. It really comes down to a simple "I Have or Had" on your decision on what to do with the coin. Best of luck on either one and it'd be nice to hear back on the grading from a service if you decide to go that way.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exceedingly rare find, and superbad to know that it lay waiting for you in the ground for all these years. It always amazes me the odds of being in the right spot in this big ol' world to find such a rarity. Keep or sell? That would be tough decision to make, and I wish you the best in making it. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but unless I was hurtin' pretty bad for the dough, I believe I'd hang onto it. I almost sold a once-in-a-lifetime find (Indian artifact) years ago, and am so glad that I hung onto it. 25 years later, I haven't even come close to finding anything like that again, and the money would've been long gone and more than likely, what I bought with the proceeds would've long depreciated to nothing. My best to you, brother.

Oh yeah, what else did you find? We need to see the nails and pull tabs to keep it all human for the masses.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for sure! Fixing to vote right now. Congrats on such a huge find :notworthy:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exceedingly rare find, and superbad to know that it lay waiting for you in the ground for all these years. It always amazes me the odds of being in the right spot in this big ol' world to find such a rarity. Keep or sell? That would be tough decision to make, and I wish you the best in making it. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but unless I was hurtin' pretty bad for the dough, I believe I'd hang onto it. I almost sold a once-in-a-lifetime find (Indian artifact) years ago, and am so glad that I hung onto it. 25 years later, I haven't even come close to finding anything like that again, and the money would've been long gone and more than likely, what I bought with the proceeds would've long depreciated to nothing. My best to you, brother.

Oh yeah, what else did you find? We need to see the nails and pull tabs to keep it all human for the masses.

Very well said! The money never lasts long and it's just gone. But a super rare coin is something that you can look at and touch and relive that moment over and over. Just like your rare indian artifact

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
463 views in less than 9 hours....BANNER!

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• gomer.jpg
    gomer.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 810

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an outstanding coin. If it were my find, I would have it slabbed & keep it. I just don't sell any of my finds, unless money is really needed.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome!!! ranks up there with the 1916d merc so deserves to be up on banner. you are living the life and shareing your finds with us on tnet. and you're still a youngen. keep it up.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find. can't imagine why anyone wouldn't believe it's real. personally, I'd grade it VF with exceptions for the environmental damage. then, I'd sell it and stash that cash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread