🥇 BANNER Rarest US Silver coin minted in the 20th century found 1901 S Barber Quarter

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Attachments

• DSC02765 copy.jpg
    DSC02765 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • image2-1 copy.jpg
    image2-1 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 109

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's just a coin, but for some people that has the potential to be a life changer due to its value, Ive read that it can fetch anywhere from 4 thousand to 36000. Absolutely banner vote in!
Cherish thay baby its a great one!!
Congrats!!

In May of 1990 Superior Auctions sold an MS-68 graded version of this coin for $550,000

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I actually like sharper nice detail but pitted look on this coin much better than even a barber quarter in fine condition.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG for both the coin and banner!!! nitro moment for sure there lol :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
CONGRATS on an AWESOME RARE Coin and making the Banner Doc :thumbsup:. It looks great and now you have a new goal to shoot for :laughing7:, Which is the 1916 SLQ !!!!!!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
By all means a great rare find. But looks as if its been zapped and cleaned. :[[[

I accidentally cleaned a 1916 mercury dime. Once I realized it ... I checked, no mint mark. I thought I checked all my dates on my coins lol.

Congrats on banner.

Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :occasion18::occasion16::icon_santa::blob6::icon_santa::occasion16::occasion18: Very glad you chose to post this for all to enjoy! :icon_thumright:

If you sell it, first be sure to have a friend take photos of you with your coin! That'll help keep memories of that hunt clear for a lifetime! Andi

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, this was a quick banner making find! Congratulations on both. One question Doc. Why weren't you gonna post this coin? No need to answer, really, that's your business. But I and I'm sure all of us are glad you decided to share it with us. Thanks and many more happy hunting days for you.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first banner find. It's a beauty! Given the circumstances, it should be authentic. There is something about the shape of the "S" that doesn't look quite right when I compare it to other pictures of Barber 1901 S quarters with the ones centered over the denticles but I am far from an expert and it's unlikely you'd dig up a fake.

Congratulations! Please give us an update once you've had the coin graded and slabbed. What an incredible find!

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I was just reading on coinfacts.com that there were a tremendous number of counterfeits made of this coin. So you definitely need to send it off and get it checked out. Hopefully what you have there is the real deal. And I'm still puzzled why this coin is worth so much more than ones of the same or lower mintage.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My turn to chime in. Congratulations on a great find! I'd definitely send it in and get it authenticated, graded, & slabbed. There are a few reputable coin grading services out there, and I personally had sent a few of my 'DUG" coins to ANACS, very reasonably without joining any clubs or memberships. Anybody can do this, the forms, prices, and everything you need to know is on their website.
Here it is: ANACS - America's Oldest Coin Authentication and Grading Service

Good luck, and let is know how you made out...............Rich.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin appears to match up with what is identified as Die A on this website.
Authenticating the 1901-S Barber Quarter

It appears there is a very light crack between the bust and first star to the right.
Ultimate score.
Congratulations.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a find. :notworthy: Congratulations on an outstanding and rare find.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a SUPER find! Banner, for sure!! WOW!!!
find a (rare) coin, is everybody's secret dream, yet few realize it!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow. Get is slabbed definitely and go from there if you want to sell.

If it wasn't for the porosity and the scratch, that would be an XF or higher coin. Full-liberty. Outstanding Barber quarter at any date.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! You have located one of the three key dates of this variety of coin.

Barber (1892-1916)

Designer: Charles Barber

The capped Liberty replaced the Seated Liberty design in 1892. A heraldic Eagle occupied the reverse.

The Barber Quarter was struck at the Philadelphia, New Orleans and San Francisco mints. KEY DATES include the 1896S (188,039 minted), 1901S (72,664 minted) and 1913S (40,000 minted).

What I would do: Sell it to the highest bidder. Take half of that cash and invest it in a precious metal like Silver (versus gold because Silver may double in value in Ten years and there is no chance that Gold will) and spend part of the other half on updating my Metal Detecting equipment and then with the new equipment go out and find more treasures.

Some here may not agree with selling it but let me explain my logic: At the present the coin is has a high value placed on it because they haven't turned up that often (they're rare right now). With advances in technology more and more may turn up and the value can go down. I am looking at a chart right now that maps the value of the 1913-S Barber Quarter from 1972 to the present. The value was around $100 in 1972 and steadily climbed to a high of $11K (Thousand Dollars) in 2007 then it flat-lined at $11K until 2011 then spiked up to $13K in 2012 and suddenly dropped back down to $11K in 2014. Something caused the value to drop. It could be that a hoard was discovered and put to market. Not all of the 40,000 minted are under ground a good number of them could be in the safes of old collectors that pass away and when the family discovers the collection then it goes to market (Supply and Demand).

Good Luck and thanks for sharing - it's an inspiration to all. Voting BANNER!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread