Late December and still digging in Upstate NY

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met up with Park Pirate at our favorite old city park this morning. With the temperature a balmy 30 degrees, it was a little chilly when the wind kicked up. Very little frost in the ground so must take advantage of the opportunity to detect. I got lucky with this '44 Washington quarter. It was a deep iffy signal that first resulted in me digging a 10" strip of iron from about 8" down. Filled the hole in, replaced the plug and when I rescanned the area, I get a textbook upper right silver hit on the Explorer smart screen about 2" from the where I had just dug. Sure enough, I pop out the silver quarter. Another example of iron masking the initial silver target. I love those recoveries because you know many other detectorists had to have passed over that signal before !! (me included) Weather still looks good for tomorrow so I might get out again.

Attachments

• 122014quarter.jpg
    122014quarter.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
  • DSCN4820_2877.JPG
    DSCN4820_2877.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver.

OP
OP
Ed (Upstate NY)

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was a nice one until I hit it with my digger above the date !!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That iron likely put you off on your pin-pointing ,therefor you hit the Quarter with the digger [ i hate when that happens ]

About the Weather
A month ago I noticed the NWS Winter outlook had the Extreme NE of the US Predicting Above normal Winter Temps this year.
Seems to be right so far.
Keep diggin while U can.
HH
Davers

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Silver Ed. were still swinging our coils here in SW Ohio also!!! I have pounded a local city park for 4 years (since I started this hobby) the cherry picking is done. This park has probably been hunted for 30-35 years at least, but the E-trac sniffs em out, I dig a lot of "Iffy" choppy signals and occasionally I'm rewarded like you were with Silver, and you just chuckle inside a little bit, knowing others have passed it over. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be out also!! lol

PS; 1944 Washington Quarter was the first Silver I found with my E-trac.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a VERY good reason why I pick up garbage as I go and then check under where it was laying. :)

Nice!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters are the best, nice save.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think in upstate NY anytime you can dig a Washington quarter 5 days before Christmas it is definitely a Christmas miracle. How much snow did ya'll have by the 20th of December last year? Very nice find.

OP
OP
Ed (Upstate NY)

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
December 5th was the latest date I dug a coin last Winter. Nice to get in a couple more weeks this year. I did get out today and hit for a couple buffalo nickels and a silver ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread