Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cufflinks front.jpg cufflinks back.jpg

Hi all;
I found these cufflinks a few weeks ago. (Sorry for the lack of size reference given in the pics. Each oval is only a touch less 3/4" long and 3/8" wide)
Interesting digger's story:
I dug the signal, which indicated a probable brass button, but not as clear as a single signal.
I removed first one oval with a loop on the back.
At first, I thought I had a button, but I have never found an oval button from the colonial era, which this obviously was.
It was pretty pitted and dark for most brass pcs. around here.
As always, I rechecked the hole before covering and got another very clear signal. I gently dug the second oval pc. and the large oval loop. I put them all in my hand and WOW ! I knew then I had one sleeve cufflink. I could barely see that it had a design on the plates, I was excited to say the least.

When I researched it online, I found that generally, it seems the fewer the joining links, the earlier the pc. Also, the more ovular the links, the older.
The plate and loop definitely fit button designs of early 1600's to early 1700's. But now putting it all together. I am thinking that it matches a mid to late 1600's design, even down to the hand engraved design on the plates.
I began to think this may be the oldest find I have to date.

Upvote 18

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking cufflinks, they definitely have some age to them. I hope someone can help you narrow down the time period. Have you recovered anything else therer that might indicate you have an early site?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the cuff links. I think that they are more likely in the range of mid to late 18th century. There are some members on tnet that are pretty knowledgeable about these and I am sure they will chime in. Congrats on a great find!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the cuff links. I think that they are more likely in the range of mid to late 18th century. There are some members on tnet that are pretty knowledgeable about these and I am sure they will chime in. Congrats on a great find!

Could be, but they don't match those I have seen from that date so far. Most of them from mid 1800's have more complicated joints and the button and loop, the shanks, if you will, are usually attached differently. They more match the colonial button attaching ways more. But that's whats so hard about dating jewelry! lol

Sweet looking cufflinks, they definitely have some age to them. I hope someone can help you narrow down the time period. Have you recovered anything else therer that might indicate you have an early site?

So far I think I have found a trash area of some sort, so I 'm finding a whole range of artifacts Several ranging from late 1800's on up. No older coins except more modern, Buffalo, merc, & IH's. The IH are both later 1800's. But I have some brass parts that are fairly old and it's next to an Inn that is colonial. (Wish I could get permission for THAT!) But so far, it's a no-go.

Oh wow,those are finnne!

Thanks CoilyGirl.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out this post and link from Bill D, our resident relic hunting expert.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...nial-cuff-links-linked-buttons-check-out.html

Well they were really good links! I am always looking for more good research links. The one thing I didn't see there though, is that while it did show the shapes and relative dates, which was great, the focused on the more fancy stamped designs whereas this one has a simpler and earlier engraved designs typical of the earliest buttons. I had found only a couple that were similar online and they gave a very early date, so that's what I was basing mine on. It's always such a puzzle. But those links had tons of good information I'll be using in the future.. Thanks so much! Love the research end of all this. It makes many of our old finds "mysteries".. what's not cool about that? HH

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome find from a fellow Marylander.

I hope to get down to the Eastern Shore in the spring. I hear there are many fantastic places to hunt down there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an awesome find from a fellow Marylander.

I hope to get down to the eastern Shore in the spring. I hear there are many fantastic places to hunt down there.

Hey Bob, Thanks for the kind word. There are definitely lots of old places, the trick I'm still trying to learn is finding the ones not picked out! lol

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob, Thanks for the kind word. There are definitely lots of old places, the trick I'm still trying to learn is finding the ones not picked out! lol

I know what you mean. I've dug up SO many pre 1964 coins but only rarely hit silver quarters or dimes. Looks like someone beat me to 'em in some of my spots.

Gotta' keep diggin' though. I've been sick with Lyme disease (caught while MD'ing of course!!) for a while now and haven't been out at all lately but I'm really getting better now and hope to be out swinging again soon. Can't wait 'til spring though.

90 days from now things will be looking real nice again. The days start getting longer again Monday.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of the age, that is a super cool find. You assembled all the pieces, imagine only finding one of the cuff links or just the joining loop thingy and never knowing what it was all put together. Nice save and a big congrats! The uniqueness and history of our finds is what makes this hobby so damn addicting!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't what it any other way!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; I believe your cuff links are dated to 1720 - 1740. This is based on the style of pattern and especially the joining clasp which is very crude in design. If it were Pewter I would place at 1680's or so. They are also very typical for that time period. I base this on my own 46 years in the field and my many encounters with this type of cuff links and other Relics from that period ok. I'm in Boston. Suggestion: Search that are real slow and dig even thev slightest whisper of a signal. I think you will be amazed at your results ok. PEACE:RONB

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Super find! :notworthy: :occasion16::wav::occasion16: :notworthy:

After you've dug several more good historical items from that area, you could make an informative little display case of them, show your case to the inn's manager, offer to show him how carefully you could detect his property, and offer him half of the good inn finds if he'll permit you to detect. Such "show-&-tell" could improve your chances of getting permission to hunt the inn grounds Have Fun! Andi

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find, I would have been doing summer-salts. WTG on the saves

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow....nice!! When I seen them I was thinking would they just be for Sunday....What would the shirt look like...I had to look that up.

shirt.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless of the era, you have a nice find and I'd surely like finding them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread