Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my boy comes home from work tonight and says look what I found in change. (He works at a gas station part time while going to school) my jaw about hit the floor... He finds about a dozen wheats every week and a couple silvers a month.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419118096.883170.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419118121.727913.jpg

Upvote 11
OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also believe it's a altered coin. From a 44d

Cool find though! Either way!

I don't know how to link the thread. I have a couple of examples in the coin forum. I'll bump it. Since I can't figure it out!:laughing7:

Send it up if you can find it! I looked at a few fakes and it definitely a possibility! If it's a fake and was found in circulation someone sure wasted a lot of effort, or like it was said, it was stolen and spent. Seems like a lot of work for nothing. :)

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a shaved 44-D. The gap between the 9 and 1 is the giveaway. It would have been a heart stopper if I found it.

It does look like a huge space that's missing. Maybe he found his first counterfeit penny that actually worth 1 cent!

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Counterfeit, Altered Date,or Fake Bullion

It's in that thread. I have others if you want better pics.

I couldn't find the thread on here I found some examples on the net I looked at.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The spacing between the 9 and the second 1 does look funky - you should have it authenticated (should have no VDB on the shoulder)

Agreed. The first and second 1s are not the same length. The second 1's length is actually closer to the length of the post in the 4. Good thing you included these close pics, I doubt that would be obvious to the naked eye.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, unfortunately it is altered, probably someone put it into change just for kicks to get somebody going!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take some through the loop if I can get it to show up. I'm at a party tonight so I will try it when I can get a chance. I would love to know if it's real. If it's fake it only cost him a penny. :) I did take the pic at a funky angle because the shadow of the phone kept getting in the way.

Exactly, while disappointing, you didn't actually lose anything. I've seen experienced coin dealers shopping 14-D's around a bourse trying to find another dealer (sucker) to get them out of it. Worst case scenario here is disappointment and some good reference photos on what a fake looks like.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I read the title, I thought the thread was about a Merc!

OP
OP
RobRieman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help guys. I learned a lot about 14D's. It's an altered 44D and has the VDB on the bust. Never know what you will find!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding of the 1914D penny is the "D" should be low and left.....Joe McDonough

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Very interesting! I just dug out a 1914D my late father-in-Law collected many years ago. Like some of the members above I thought the 14 was just a shade too far to the right from the 19, looking at it thru a strong lens.

If it would be of any help I can attempt to scan mine and you could compare it with yours. I certainly hope yours is genuine.

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
edit: oops didnt realize you figured out it was altered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread