Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey thanks for all your interest in my posts of relics and coins found at Castine, Me. I was told my posts are to long so adopting the KISS principle . Keep it Short and Simple. You know shoe buckles are always a thrill to find and in the 14 years I hunted this great site probably found a few dozen. Not rare but almost always you never find a match . Most I have found were the enlisted which are plain and the officers have designs like the Cpt Hinkley buckle frame found in may of this year.
Back up to 2007 when I got permission to hunt a known British Artillery position located on the far eastern part of the peninsula. Number 13 on the map I provided. Also notice across the back bay number 15 that is Paul Revere's artillery set up on the mainland. The Brits had 4 -4 pounders set up on a small flat hill and from the relics I have found on both sites the Americans only fired grape shot since no cannon balls were found. On the American art the Brits fired 4s. One I found on the beach just short of Rever's artillery position .
Anyway getting to the hunt on the Brit art I never found any single shoe buckles but did find this pair piggyback and here they are. When cleaning I did find small breaks in both of them and believe most likely stepped on and discarded. In the pic with the dirt on them this is the way they were found . With designs of an officer .
I am posting the map since mostly all of Castine since 2007 have been posted "No Relic Hunting" and monitored by the Conservation Trust with cameras. Scan0117.jpg Scan0108.jpg Scan0122.jpg Scan0126.jpg Scan0142.jpg Scan0100.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. For what's its worth I like your "long"stories .

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckles...nice to find them, usually most are bent or not complete

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scan0242.jpg Thanks
I did post two articles about Castine and the Penobscot Expedition but only a few responses. Someone told me most guys don't want to take the time to read all this history so now I am posting the relics and coins individually with short stories. Here are some shoe buckles and relics . I don't know if you saw my first post about Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle frame but I am going to do a redo since it was not explained well. Scan0243.jpg

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hanks
I did post two articles about Castine and the Penobscot Expedition but only a few responses. Someone told me most guys don't want to take the time to read all this history so now I am posting the relics and coins individually with short stories. Here are some shoe buckles and relics . I don't know if you saw my first post about Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle frame but I am going to do a redo since it was explained well.

Great stuff, and I can clear things up for you. People like seeing the finds, reading about the history whether it's a 1/4 page or a full page, but they will tend to pass on full page posts based mostly on speculation. You have far too many great finds to feel the need to have to try and connect the dots on others to make them great. In addition, I think people are more into very recent finds, and who who knows, maybe the odd person is a little too envious to want to reply. Anyway, now you're into the substance! :headbang: All pretty simple items but the context is amazing!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch
Thanks for your words. Myself I think long and hard and when I write and show pics of the finds from this site there will be no speculation. That may be a bold statement but 14 years of relic hunting , and extensive research of this 3 week siege , has educated me to that history. My mission here is to not speculate but to share with all who want to see relics and coins that sometimes talk to us.
My first post however I do not feel the story of Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle was told well so I do plan on telling it again by painting a mental picture along with pictures of the events that led up to his death and why I am passionate to say the buckle is his. I understand folks want to read about recent finds but feel history is history wether we found this yesterday or years earlier. I am new to TN and would have probably years ago shared the story and relics/ coins from the Penobscot Expedition. I like to educate and know you all appreciate that. In the same vein I do not want to come across as a braggit or know it all. Praise is not my thing but to educate is to learn. I hope folks research this battle as there is much to learn about history. It is fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch
Thanks for your words. Myself I think long and hard and when I write and show pics of the finds from this site there will be no speculation. That may be a bold statement but 14 years of relic hunting , and extensive research of this 3 week siege , has educated me to that history. My mission here is to not speculate but to share with all who want to see relics and coins that sometimes talk to us.
My first post however I do not feel the story of Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle was told well so I do plan on telling it again by painting a mental picture along with pictures of the events that led up to his death and why I am passionate to say the buckle is his. I understand folks want to read about recent finds but feel history is history wether we found this yesterday or years earlier. I am new to TN and would have probably years ago shared the story and relics/ coins from the Penobscot Expedition. I like to educate and know you all appreciate that. In the same vein I do not want to come across as a braggit or know it all. I hope folks research this battle as there is much to learn about history. It is fascinating stuff.

The buckle people can decide for their self, but a blank silver coin there's not even a starting point, so it's clearly speculation.

I'm glad you posted the buckle because while reading it it gave me that same kind of trippy feeling you get when your hunting in a place rich with history. It's like a drug and I usually have to be there in person, but not always.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes your right as coins rarely have a story to tell. However the 1/5 cut real I posted earlier is an exception and only because it is document ed why it was cut in 5ths not 8ths in the British Journal.
As for the buckle I assume you mean what I feel is Cpt Hinkley's I never mentioned this but the day I dug it 20 feet from Trask Rock I looked at the huge boulder and the brown looking buckle frame now in my hand and knew who had lost it and why. I then took it over to the boulder and placed it on top while continuing my hunt. I truly believe it was there on the 28 of July 1779.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes your right as coins rarely have a story to tell. However the 1/5 cut real I posted earlier is an exception and only because it is document ed why it was cut in 5ths not 8ths in the British Journal.
As for the buckle I assume you mean what I feel is Cpt Hinkley's I never mentioned this but the day I dug it 20 feet from Trask Rock I looked at the huge boulder and the brown looking buckle frame now in my hand and knew who had lost it and why. I then took it over to the boulder and placed it on top while continuing my hunt. I truly believe it was there on the 28 of July 1779.

I was talking about the blank you are suggesting is MA silver.

I like the cut piece and the buckle.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow!! I just felt that what you wrote, about placing it on the rock while you continued to hunt. I know the Capt appreciated that...
Like here you go Capt. Victory is yours!!!
Thanks for all your posts..And keep it up.
George

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb finds.............& I like reading your posts! So much history......................!

Iowa Dale

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that your posts are greatly appreciated here. I would also say that most all of us really enjoy seeing your finds and even feel at least some of the reverence that you feel and felt when you found these items. I for one, and I'm sure others here, hunt and keep a renewed interest in what we do because we feel the same as you when we unearth what those before us have left for us to learn about them.

Unfortunately the world we live in doesn't always afford a lot of us time and attention for a more complete history lesson on a particular subject at one time. I think that your more recent approach of breaking it down in increments makes it easier for most to take it in along with other members posts. And, you offer more complete background that we can refer to when time permits.

Your recent finds and stories have my attention and I consider Banner. If they were within Tnet's banner guidelines they could be up top getting the attention they deserve.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and relics as usual! Just keep posting the finds and long story's I enjoy reading about the history of the relics-coins without that they just some pieces of brass and silver to me the history is what makes them so awesome to see and find.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,
As you can see there are a few on here that truly appreciates your heartfelt posts and the amount of time you've spent learning the history of the area you hunted all those years. Shoe buckles happen to be one of my favorite relic finds and I've been very lucky to find a bunch in my short career. You were so fortunate to be able to hunt the places you did. As you and I both know most of Castine is closed up like a bear trap to treasure hunters now.
I am just blown away at all of the amazing items that have come from Castine. All of the Rev War stuff and then a few Mass silvers and then....a big old hoard of Mass silvers and Spanish silvers. The crazy part is that if the hoard was part of Baron De Castins immense wealth that's probably not all of it. I have a feeling Castine has more secrets it's yet to reveal and I hope one day I uncover just a few of those.
Thanks for the great stories and all if the history that I and others would have never known. The background about the 1/5th cut Spanish is awesome. I never would have known that and what a cool piece that is. Thank Gary and Happy Holidays

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh and your right about that. I put it up since the silver coin did not conform with thinner Spanish silver and if anything went by the shape and size. There were indeed different shapes of the willow, pine and oak varieties and a book with the varities. Again it is a thicker piece than a half real and not perfectly round. The other 1 reale was found there and they would also have used the tree coins up until mid 19th century.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Iron Patch
I did respond to the silver coin but a few posts below. It became a process of elimination. I have a tendency to "Inspector Gadget" things not easy to ID and will have it my best guess and why asking for opinions . Still getting used to being TN and posting but am learning.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Storm Surge- I certainly understand how busy life can be working, raising a family and staying ahead of the bills. I was fortunate to have retired from the Army in 1995 and work where and when I wanted. By chance I was reading my newspaper in OLd Town, Me one morning when the article about the British in Castine got my attention. Up until then I was a coin shooter but from 1995 on I became a relic hunter . I think a lot of us have what I call passion and finding history is such a thrill that should be shared with others. Although late to TN and my finds not current ,except for Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle frame found in May they are Banner Finds but not current. I kinda hope when I redo Hinkley's buckle ,and do it justice this time maybe someone may think banner.It will be a long read but I hope worth it. Really I don't want recognition but being a Banner at least more folks will.
Also for those not familiar with "The Penobscot Expedition" I will post a short history so folks reading my posts will know more about this important siege. Thanks again for your nice comments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Abe
Actually I appreciate all any post and not really looking for recognition and I appreciate you folks out there reading the great history that is The Penobscot Expedition . I did mention few made comments about the two articles I decided to list complete in Western Eastern Treasures and learned from posting them that to adopt at KISS principle or "Keep it Simple and Short"
Now to bring those up to speed on this little known battle or siege I drafted up my knowledge of the battle in my next post. Abe thanks as always for your kind words. Also to all of you taking the time to see history. Gary

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Iron Patch
I did respond to the silver coin but a few posts below. It became a process of elimination. I have a tendency to "Inspector Gadget" things not easy to ID and will have it my best guess and why asking for opinions . Still getting used to being TN and posting but am learning.

By the way.... part of the reason I posted what i did was first because I think it's the truth, but also because as soon as someone brings a little negatively into the mix people start to pay attention and respond a bit more. :) What I probably should have done is call all your finds fake because you'd have 5 pages of replies by now... on every thread! :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch
Yes certainly that is true on the negativity and the comments on Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle was a good example of that. However that was more my fault as it was my first post and really should have done a better job explain my bold statement and making it sound like speculation .Did not want to make a book of it . I am going to do a redo on that not because I want to convince the naysayers they are wrong but because the little relic deserves a better story . Thanks as always for your remarks .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread