39 Round Balls in One Hole, Copper disc

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple hours the other day and decided to go hunt for a 1700s fort site. I walked up to the top of a steep hill with a nice flat spot on top. Got some iron signals up there but nothing significant. Then I hit a weird little signal and dug this very deep copper disc. Worst I've ever seen
image.jpg
image.jpg
Soooooooo I was left thinking that this wasn't the spot. Just not enough there. I started detecting down the hillside and got a couple of solid signals right next to eachother. Dug down and found a round ball. Stuck my propointer in and found another. Kept on checking and out they came. 39 of them in all. Not all the same size which I thought was a bit odd. I was also surprised that they weren't spread around more. They were in a fairly small area. So now I'm just not sure if I'm in the right spot or not :tongue3:
image.jpg
When I first started detecting I absolutely loved finding musket balls. Now they're just more of a wasted good signal. This "spill" was a pretty neat find though.
After this I walked to another small area with some early activity and pulled this button out of the iron
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 17

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find a way to compliment your round balls without sounding sketchy, lol!!!

How odd is that to find that many in one hole, I bet they were in a pouch that was dropped and rotted away

GREAT DIGS!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When I first started detecting I absolutely loved finding musket balls. Now they're just more of a wasted good signal. This "spill" was a pretty neat find though. "

They just can't all be Tree Coins and Reales, you spoiled brat! No wonder those guys are all making voodoo dolls, lol (I never made one) I don't care how big your head gets, I still like ya.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pile of lead there. Agree with cjon on the pouch drop, seems if they were pouring molds you would have found more drip lead there.

Still a nice bunch of finds...WTG!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find a way to compliment your round balls without sounding sketchy, lol!!!

How odd is that to find that many in one hole, I bet they were in a pouch that was dropped and rotted away

GREAT DIGS!
Yeah it's funny cause I originally wrote something about enjoying finding round balls then changed it lol.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a strange but interesting site Abe. I have to agree with you on musketballs. Its always a good sign to find them, but any one of them has a good chance to be a coin too so they can be a big disappointment. The day I dug my Lord Baltimore I had dug a few musketballs, and what I thought was going to be another turned out to be a $10,000 coin. You just never know which is why we have to dig it all.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When I first started detecting I absolutely loved finding musket balls. Now they're just more of a wasted good signal. This "spill" was a pretty neat find though. "

They just can't all be Tree Coins and Reales, you spoiled brat! No wonder those guys are all making voodoo dolls, lol (I never made one) I don't care how big your head gets, I still like ya.
Ha ha yeah it prob sounds bad but if you could see how many of those things I've got it would scare you. They're everywhere around here and they just give off suck a beautiful signal. They could easy be a coin so it gets a bit frustrating. I've got piles of those things. Maybe I can make some sort of cool display at some point and label the different cal.
I also have been in a bit of a coin slump since the big day but I just haven't been out much at all. So every deep musket ball sound like my next coin....but it isn't :-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a strange but interesting site Abe. I have to agree with you on musketballs. Its always a good sign to find them, but any one of them has a good chance to be a coin too so they can be a big disappointment. The day I dug my Lord Baltimore I had dug a few musketballs, and what I thought was going to be another turned out to be a $10,000 coin. You just never know which is why we have to dig it all.
Absolutely! Those deep ones can sound so good. I still consider them a cool piece of history but I've got hundreds of em

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely sounds like a leather ball bag that disintegrated.

If they are different sizes it was likely for a smooth bore. One large ball and three small was a "buck-and-ball" load and worked extremely well for anti-personnel use as well as deer and moose.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely sounds like a leather ball bag that disintegrated.

If they are different sizes it was likely for a smooth bore. One large ball and three small was a "buck-and-ball" load and worked extremely well for anti-personnel use as well as deer and moose.

Hey that's great info. Thanks Charlie. Any day I learn something new is a great day

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a pretty good thing when a little over a year of hunting one can e mass such a large amount of Musket balls .
Then become tired of digging them.:laughing7:
At least with CW era Minies one has a long list of types to find & A round ball is a round ball.???
There are many places you guys in the NE hunt that seem never to have Seen a Detector.

Yous Guys are Lucky To have so much history in your area , all this from a place where the maps before 1830 ish have my area listed as Indian Territory .
Still have never found a Complete Point from that Era :icon_scratch:.

Glad your still able to get out this time of year.

p.s. Just thinking if you think about it if you stack 2 of those ball together you have an 8 , Sooo you actually found 19 . 0 8's...That add's up to a-lot of Good Luck in 2015.:thumbsup:

Davers

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha yeah it prob sounds bad but if you could see how many of those things I've got it would scare you. They're everywhere around here and they just give off suck a beautiful signal. They could easy be a coin so it gets a bit frustrating. I've got piles of those things. Maybe I can make some sort of cool display at some point and label the different cal.
I also have been in a bit of a coin slump since the big day but I just haven't been out much at all. So every deep musket ball sound like my next coin....but it isn't :-)

I agree, every bullet I have found just doesn't blow my dress up, I think because I hunted with a muzzy for so long, just feels like I found one of those?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool... keep those separate if you didn't already mix them in to your others!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that you dug a shot pouch that was lost and disintegrated. IMO the areas around forts (hills, flats, ravines, creeks) have not been hunted near enough. It's finds like these that tell me that there are great things waiting to be dug. This could've just as easily been a coin purse or money belt that got snagged on a tree limb and fell to the ground.

-Buck

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds... my guess... shotgun pellets. aka... double 0 buck shot

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of recoveries Ahab!

I wish I could find a few musket balls like that around where I live. . . I can count the number I've found
during the last 8-years on one hand.

Since I know little about musket balls & such, what are the knife-like "slits" on several af the ones you found?
Is that a result of trimming the sprues? Just curious.

Again, great hunt!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that you dug a shot pouch that was lost and disintegrated. IMO the areas around forts (hills, flats, ravines, creeks) have not been hunted near enough. It's finds like these that tell me that there are great things waiting to be dug. This could've just as easily been a coin purse or money belt that got snagged on a tree limb and fell to the ground.

-Buck

Yes, I can see this guy running through the woods trying to reload while chasing his lunch.... and the pouch gets snagged and by the time he realizes it's gone, it's too late.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess after a couple hundred roundballs it tends to get a bit boring, I don't see too many of those around here, keeps then interesting, I swore I dug a carved bullet yesterday, hard to tell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread