The Risk of Detecting with a Newbie!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I invited a newbie to my Grand Old Site to hone his skills and sharpen his teeth and wouldn't you know it he makes the find of the day...and the find of his short detecting career!

We were trying an area where I hadn't spent much time prior. I had previously walked around the field and found some scraps but no indication of an actual site. At the end of the day I see him bent over a hole so I head over and ask him if he's finding anything. He replies that he just made the find of his life. Sure enough he drops a 1695 French silver into my palm! I believe it's a 1/12 Ecu. About the size of a nickel. B@atard! I can't be too upset though, he found it on the edge if the field and I always detect the edges first so I did walk past it at least once prior.

My finds came from another part of the site...not bad but not French silver...

The infamous silver...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943198.171988.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943469.454875.jpg

My finds...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943493.413085.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943513.380065.jpg

Upvote 23

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast your bread upon many waters... Always good to take a noob on a hunt where they make a decent find themselves, and it will come back to you 10 times over.

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some of that newbie luck!! Haha.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See I am lucky about hiding the bodies....I live next to a river!

As said before, you're going to be his hero for a long time.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy pm me one time about some tips on the T2 SE as he had just bought a new one. He told me he'd never found anything old and had seen some if my posts. So I take him to this great site of mine hoping he will find an old copper or something. He winds up pulling out a very nice 1787 Mass cent and then the killer....a beautiful brass toy cannon in incredible condition. I mean this thing is gorgeous. I was super happy for him cause he's a great guy but that cannon I would have LOVED to have in my collection. If someone pulls Mass silver or a GW from one of my sites. Then I may not be quite as happy lol

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it very generous of you to take a fellow detectorist to one of your sites. That he found the French silver was destiny. I of course would have been happy for him, but also sad that I hadn't found it myself. Who knows..........now that he has a taste perhaps in a year he is doing research, finds a killer site, and invites you to come hunt with him. I love the bells a LOT and have never found one.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a good hunt anyway. I think one of the reasons Newbies make some great finds on well worked areas is that they are more eager to dig signals that we would discard. Or maybe it's just damn beginners luck, anyway congrats Buddy on some nice finds.
ZDD

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beginners have all the luck!Sweet finds.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to me its a Great Hunt all around!! Congrats.. Hes hooked now for sure..a 1907 IH hooked me...But I'm easy...LOL

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way it always seems to work. Whenever you take someone to your site they always come home with the best find - usually an obvious one that you've somehow managed to miss before. Earlier in my career that would have bothered me a bit, but now I'm happy to see someone dig a nice one at my site. As long as someone's making a nice recovery that's one less relic or coin that goes unfound, and that's a good thing.

Very well said. Absolutely. No assurances that any particular relic would be certain to be found, except that it was found how it was and by who it was that found it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of the reason Newbies make finds is that they wander all over the place, because they have no recollection of what was found where--the stuff that influences our patterns and habits when we rehunt our own sites. So they actually approach it fresh, with an open mind, which is very hard for seasoned veterans to do on the 3rd--or 10th trip there!

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure you didn't plant that coin in the field for your friend to find? A good way to start a newbie out! Just kidding! Wow - what a find....your story reminds me of my life. This sort of scenario happens to me often! On a serious note, both of you had a good day! Nice finds!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginner's Luck always beats experience the first time around. :D

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way it always seems to work. Whenever you take someone to your site they always come home with the best find - usually an obvious one that you've somehow managed to miss before. Earlier in my career that would have bothered me a bit, but now I'm happy to see someone dig a nice one at my site. As long as someone's making a nice recovery that's one less relic or coin that goes unfound, and that's a good thing.

I can think of one find that was stolen right from under my nose 😃.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The greenhorn made the find of the day but your finds aren't too shabby either. You both came away winners in my book!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread