The Risk of Detecting with a Newbie!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I invited a newbie to my Grand Old Site to hone his skills and sharpen his teeth and wouldn't you know it he makes the find of the day...and the find of his short detecting career!

We were trying an area where I hadn't spent much time prior. I had previously walked around the field and found some scraps but no indication of an actual site. At the end of the day I see him bent over a hole so I head over and ask him if he's finding anything. He replies that he just made the find of his life. Sure enough he drops a 1695 French silver into my palm! I believe it's a 1/12 Ecu. About the size of a nickel. B@atard! I can't be too upset though, he found it on the edge if the field and I always detect the edges first so I did walk past it at least once prior.

My finds came from another part of the site...not bad but not French silver...

The infamous silver...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943198.171988.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943469.454875.jpg

My finds...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943493.413085.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419943513.380065.jpg

Upvote 23

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the big crotal bell. Your mates silver is in pretty good shape, congrats to him. I had a close call for a 'first time outer' with my lovely silver fob seal. I would have cried if I hadn't just moved her out the way in time!(by fluke)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the bell, it's the largest I've found that is not broken. If I didn't have my fair share of French silver I would have been pretty bummed so I was happy for him. Still, would have been happier if it was under my coil!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the way it always seems to work. Whenever you take someone to your site they always come home with the best find - usually an obvious one that you've somehow managed to miss before. Earlier in my career that would have bothered me a bit, but now I'm happy to see someone dig a nice one at my site. As long as someone's making a nice recovery that's one less relic or coin that goes unfound, and that's a good thing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the bell, it's the largest I've found that is not broken. If I didn't have my fair share of French silver I would have been pretty bummed so I was happy for him. Still, would have been happier if it was under my coil!

Of course, everytime you share a site you have to accept the outcome, but you always hope its in your favour or its something you already own. Thats assuming that your a collector like me, if your a seller that's a whole nother ball game.

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Begginers luck there at it's best...but you also just planted the life long bug of detecting in him...I bet the look on his face was priceless...!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging by your other finds you are in the NE or Canada?

That is an amazing find!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Begginers luck there at it's best...but you also just planted the life long bug of detecting in him...I bet the look on his face was priceless...!

As we were walking back to the car he digs out a large iron signal and holds up a small axe...from where I am standing it looked like a tomahawk...I was walking over to him to brain him with my shovel when I noticed it was a shingling hatchet...lucky for both of us...hiding a body in the winter can be pretty difficult...

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Every body gets a free one huh?
Good karma is going to come your way once again, if you get back out again you might score a killer find!
Also, this lets you know that the GOS still holds some great finds and always deserves a good look around

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every body gets a free one huh?
Good karma is going to come your way once again, if you get back out again you might score a killer find!
Also, this lets you know that the GOS still holds some great finds and always deserves a good look around

Yep...it's going to be a tough site to beat...just need the plough to go through a couple times to stir things up.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you get a picture of that hatchet??

As we were walking back to the car he digs out a large iron signal and holds up a small axe...from where I am standing it looked like a tomahawk...I was walking over to him to brain him with my shovel when I noticed it was a shingling hatchet...lucky for both of us...hiding a body in the winter can be pretty difficult...

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. The 1934 Canadian nickel is nice also. Some of them years and varieties (1925,1926 & 1932) can be worth a lot of $$$! :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There must be something to the newbie luck- congrats to him on the silver it's a great looking coin.

The bells are really nice, any # or makers letters on either of them, and is that part of a buckle beside the smaller bell?

Good day out for finds it seems, I'd be more than happy with those results, even watching somebody getting the find of the day.

Inviting somebody out to a site is like a double edge sword, a person wants them to get something that will put a big smile on their mug, and the other side is for them not to take the cream.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that a shingling hatchet always had a notch near the back of the underside of the blade.

Too late he's got the axe and escaped.
:laughing7:

That notch often crusts over...I've got several just like it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread