Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this over the weekend on a site of an old farmhouse. Thought it was modern but today I cleaned it and saw the hallmarks on the bottom. There are three markings: a crowned lion's head, a lion, and a "C". I think this might be over 200-year old English sterling silver. :D Maybe it's from the age of pirates! :skullflag::blackbeard::laughing7:

Edit: Research indicates that this is indeed an early colonial artifact. It was made in London in 1738 and was probably exported to the 13 colonies shortly thereafter. Despite my initial assumptions of it being a salt shaker I'm now convinced it is a "pepper pot". This is the oldest and most unique artifact I have found to date. Thanks to all who helped in identifying and dating this rare and interesting piece. Last find of 2014. Happy New Year! :D

DSC08498.JPG

DSC08499.JPG

DSC08500.JPG
Here is the bottom showing the very old looking hallmarks:
DSC08494.JPG
lion mark2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 71
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was made the same year King George III was born, 1738. (George Washington was already 6 years old at the time).
The pirate Black Bart had died a mere 16 years earlier. This is the oldest treasure I own by at least 150 years. Amazing info T-Net has helped me discover. :D

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's absolutely amazing. I have a few shaker tops but have never found a whole shaker, much less solid sterling. This is a banner find to me. The C looks to be in shield and that places it in the 1700's if I'm not mistaken. History personified in a little pc. of daily life. How many times was this used... wow.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miner, I agree with the "pepper pot" not a salt shaker. I love finding the personal utilitarian items that were part of someone's daily life so long ago. Great find! Sterling silver and the shape it's in make it even better. This piece served someone of means. If only inanimate objects could talk.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend when I take all of the aspects of this find into consuderation(age, condition, scarcity, and just plain cool factor) this sucker needs to be up top. It's gonna be so cool to see a nice old relic up there. I'm really in love with this piece.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the BEST finds I've seen on the forum here recently! You would not find a single detectorist that wouldn't be PROUD to have dug that!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is called a "pepper pot". Here's a similar one from the Early 18th century: George I Silver Pepper Pot 1724

Like the one I found this one has a lid that just pops off, it is not a screw-on lid. Unfortunately the lid on mine has been on for so long I can't open it.

or pepperette

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is called a "pepper pot". Here's a similar one from the Early 18th century: George I Silver Pepper Pot 1724

Like the one I found this one has a lid that just pops off, it is not a screw-on lid. Unfortunately the lid on mine has been on for so long I can't open it.

That shape is enough to convince me that this shape was around before yours & therefore my vote for banner is in & 1738 looks good!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a pepper pot to me. Banner find for sure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh so the vote is in...1738. And yes... pepper makes sense. Pepper was seriously used in in everything... everyday.
BUT ! not with this "device"... in other words... this is not something used by "regular folk".
Pepper in this time period was revered as "the king of spices" and always used as a form of money and very expensive and believed to help ward off illness etc.
This piece is not some "regular guys" tackle... this is a serious piece. PERIOD... Meaning = Banner find

Sorry underminer on the date... twas close...
I need new marks books... or... I have to give in and get glasses.
I have pocket sized marks books... and now that my eyesight is starting "to go". ehhhh heh
I need to use readers... I have a pair I keep in the car that are not really my # or whatever... I have been "bucking" this and my girl rides me about getting glasses.
I am stubborn and have perfect eyesight from arms length on out. I think 45 is too young for me to wear glasses.
I have magnifying glasses all over the place and couldn't find one last night and was tired
I suck heh

I... I... I ... me... me... me... heh
Great find. Underminer

Will have to post pics of some of my collection... your pepperette would go well with it.

Howard pyle - Balckbeard buries his treasure.jpg

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That pepper pot is one of the most incredible finds I've see on here based on condition and age. The condition is phenomenal and looks like it's still ready to pepper some steak.

Banner all the way!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly missed that beauty! Big congrats! Thats an absolute stunning find, both condition and age! My vote is in too.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The vote is in, once again congrats on the find!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Handsome shaker in super condition! :notworthy:

Though we take salt for granted, I'm guessing it was more difficult to obtain in the old days, so more treasured then. Andi

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my vote is in

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is in my friend. The history of this piece is amazing. Great save, and well deserved BANNER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions