1700s French Silver Spoon, Silver Coins, and Powder Flask Spouts!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My goal was to take the wife and for us to get one more chance to dig a few more things before the end of 2014. We really did well today. I got out in a site that we have hunted before. Below is the story...

First off, here is the video:

In the turn row I immediately found this strange thing. Has a boat on it. Has to be a name plate from a tractor or something...any ideas?

HPIM4956.JPG HPIM4957.JPG

When we got out in the field, I got a decent reading and dug what looked like a small flat button. Strange thing is, the thing read 65 on the F75! Bending over I realized that it was a very tarnished 1839 Seated Half Dime! Her and I dug a couple musketballs each, then I dug the handle of a silver spoon. I didn't think much about it, but was happy to see some silver. , then my wife dug a powder flask spout. I was a little jealous, since I've actually never dug one of these...but it's hard to be jealous with an early Seated in your pocket. So I kept digging. A couple more musketballs later, I got a nice signal that I knew would be a dime. Wish I'd filmed it. One inch deep, a BEAUTIFUL 1875-S Seated Dime came up. One of the best Seated coins I have ever dug in terms of condition.

1875 in dirt.JPG 1875 in dirt1.JPG

Then I dug more of the handle of the spoon I'd just found. It had several hallmarks on it, and I could see an "S" and an "F" separated by stars. I was starting to get excited about it. Put that in my pocket, then my wife dug a SECOND powder flask spout. :D We picked up some killer pottery, then I got another great dime signal and popped out another farmer dropped coin--a 1911-D Barber Dime. Got a BIG red clay pipe bowl and a V Nickel and by that time the sun had started to go down.

When I got home, I posted the spoon handle on the .925 Forum, and it was identified as pre-Revolution FRENCH! The handle I dug fit the piece of the spoon with the hallmarks perfectly. When I put the pieces together I could see that the letters on the spoon were "SFC." According to the experts on the forum, these are the initials of the owner of the spoon! (From the .925 forum, reply by forum member Blakstone: "The mark at the broken end of the stem is the medium charge mark for the city of Paris under the tenure of tax farmer Henri Clavel (1781-1789): an interlaced script "LL". The crowned "T" is the Paris guild warden's annual mark in use July 1782-July 1783. The "ewer" mark is actually a somewhat rare mark also used by Clavel in place of the usual "décharge" mark indicating that the piece was destined for export out of France (in this case presumably Louisiana which, despite its resolutely French culture, was at the time under Spanish rule). There should also be a maker's mark, probably on the missing bits. Nice find!"

resized2.JPG

Now, I hope I can dig the rest of it!

Here are the coins. The half dime didn't clean up completely well, but it came a long way considering how bad it was! (Before/After photos)

HDobvbefore.JPG HDobvbafter.JPG

HDrevbefore.JPG HDrevbafter.JPG

seatedobv.JPG seatedrev.JPG

barberobv.JPG barberrev.JPG

Diggergirl's two powder flask tops, and an egg holder than she eyeballed!

powderflaskspouts.JPG HPIM4963.JPG

And both of our finds. :)

HPIM4960.JPG DG Finds.jpg

I'll be collecting the photos for the Annual Finds post soon, but until then I want to wish everyone on the forum a safe and happy 2015!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I should say you two did well indeed! Way to end 2014 with some more great finds and seeing something being found along the lines of a find I found a number of years ago. Your silver handle with the possible owners initials makes very good sense in what they stand for. I was very fortunate to have found a pickle fork or something like it with the actual last name of the owner inscribed on it. William Shony O'Brien was a junior partner in the "Bonanza Firm" in Virginia City, Nevada. He was one of the 4 major players in the Comstock. No proof that it is actually from his family, but I'm going to claim it anyway!! Did you ever contact Leonard Short? Wishing you, Diggergirl, & Shane a very successful year for 2015!!!

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 78

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt... I liked the video.

I'm thinking the half dime is counterfeit.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I should say you two did well indeed! Way to end 2014 with some more great finds and seeing something being found along the lines of a find I found a number of years ago. Your silver handle with the possible owners initials makes very good sense in what they stand for. I was very fortunate to have found a pickle fork or something like it with the actual last name of the owner inscribed on it. William Shony O'Brien was a junior partner in the "Bonanza Firm" in Virginia City, Nevada. He was one of the 4 major players in the Comstock. No proof that it is actually from his family, but I'm going to claim it anyway!! Did you ever contact Leonard Short? Wishing you, Diggergirl, & Shane a very successful year for 2015!!!

Larry

GREAT relic there! I did not contact Leonard. Until I find all the pieces, no point in doing so IMO. Wishing you a safe and happy 2015 as well, my friend! I've missed your posts on here, so please continue to email me with your finds.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt... I liked the video.

I'm thinking the half dime is counterfeit.

I thought it was, but during the cleaning process it was obvious it was silver. Rang up 65, which is what a genuine one reads on the F75.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always find some awesome relics - that spoon handle is outstanding! Hope you can find the rest of it soon. :thumbsup:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a really nice hunt. The fields of Louisiana are really good to you!

I hope you have a phenomenal year hunting the fields! (to me all of your finds are great, you find seated coins like I find Merc's)

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoyed the video and your finds. Great that diggergirl was with you

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and she said "daylight is wasting. Do that later. We have digging to do." And she wants to go later this week...

Damn, hang onto that gal. So, a dream girl does exist! Mighty nice bunch of finds, too.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLD PLYMOUTH BADGE IS THE SHIP ,ZUTPHEN

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY BUCK YOU SEEM TO HAVE ALL THE LUCK , POWDER FLASK AND SPOONS AN EMBLEM OF A SHIP TO BOOT. YOU WERE ON A 1700S SITE FOR SURE, POTTERY SHERDS AND TRADES BEAD AND A LOT MORE. CANT GET OVER THE POTTERY REALLY NICE PEICES.ZUTPHEN, JUST WEIRD HOW THAT EMBLEM AND THE UMBRELLA PEICE ENDED UP AT THAT SITE ? I GUESS THE ROUND BALL WAS TO LOOK LIKE A TRADES BEAD OR SLIP SINKER. ALMOST FORGOT DIGGER GIRL HAS SOME NICE FINDS ALSO, WHEN I FIRST NOTICED THE SPOON I THOUGHT YOU HAD A PAUL REVERE SILVER SPOON, SURE IS A BEAUTY,

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, you and the cane crew have been killing it over your way. I have a friend that grew up in that area and says he has plenty of places from his childhood that he would like to hit.
I told him of your successes and it really peaked his interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread