Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
2015 is off to a good start. I went out for a bit yesterday and hit two spots. The first produced the seal and the button, but after an hour moved on as the wind was whipping and the ground was solid. I found my next spot around 1pm just as the ground was starting to thaw and pulled the buckle, thimble, NJ copper and a few pieces of buttons. No silver!

Thanks for looking,

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    705.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd take those finds any day what you amassed digging yesterday, sure beats digging in 5" of blowing fluffy snow, and 4" of frozen bush soils and getting only a few things. Liking the copper, but the seal has me intrigued as was it attached to something?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, congrats on another NJ copper, I think you are now in the top ten in my survey for number of NJ's found by one individual. PM me with the state and county and how many you think you have found so I can see if I have them all in the survey! OK, measure your coin, I had trouble IDing the variety, even though it is still dirty the shield shape is distinctive and I thought I had the ID right away, but then I saw on coinfacts that the shield looked right but not the size. I got out my big book on NJ coppers and they had photos of this variety with small and large planchets, if yours is 29.5mm or larger, than for sure it is a 1787 Maris 64-t variety. (Very common one but not sure how many on large planchets) If you get better photos and do not post, plz email them to me if you wish.

Don

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Pepperj the seal was about 8 inches down and it was not attached to anything, thanks

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Don, I will send the info to you. Sweet , top ten.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Considering the time of year and your location those are some pretty amazing finds. Wouldn't you normally be stuck in the cabin with the ground covered with snow by this time of the year normally?

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Beez0404, just got lucky weather wise. Tomorrow 40,s and some rain moving in. Sun rain, so I hope to be out by the crack of dawn sat and beat the rain, I'm a diehard at this, been digging with 5" on the ground and finding a few things. Thanks

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the NJ Copper and other goodies! You are fortunate to have found more than one already. :thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey great finds Don! Love state coppers

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool monty! Would love to see a cleaned up pic, as have never seen one before.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, congrats on another NJ copper, I think you are now in the top ten in my survey for number of NJ's found by one individual. PM me with the state and county and how many you think you have found so I can see if I have them all in the survey! OK, measure your coin, I had trouble IDing the variety, even though it is still dirty the shield shape is distinctive and I thought I had the ID right away, but then I saw on coinfacts that the shield looked right but not the size. I got out my big book on NJ coppers and they had photos of this variety with small and large planchets, if yours is 29.5mm or larger, than for sure it is a 1787 Maris 64-t variety. (Very common one but not sure how many on large planchets) If you get better photos and do not post, plz email them to me if you wish.

Don
How many more do I need to find to get in the top ten :laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the NJ. Looking forward to the cleaned pic, looks like it might turn out pretty nice!

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Considering the time of year and your location those are some pretty amazing finds. Wouldn't you normally be stuck in the cabin with the ground covered with snow by this time of the year normally?

beez0404, that was it. We have cold temps now and that may be it for a while.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice copper. Have you cleaned it up yet? I actually went to the mintage location in Rahway once, when I was scouting a nearby location, and searched around for 10 minutes. I was hoping to find a Nj copper whord;)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jersey copper!, I did a shovel test in my yard yesterday, no go, it's a brick, frozen solid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread