Question for all you AT Pro guys

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found gold as low as 45 and as high as 68. I dig every signal 40 on up except for 76-78 scratchy zincolns. I LOVE when I am calling out targets such as foil or pull tabs and am wrong!!:laughing7:
HH

An old guy at the park I was detecting at the other other day was checking out my detector the other day and pulled his 18K ring off put it in the hole and put the dirt back in the hole to see if I could show him and that rang up as a 77 so those stinkin zincolns could be be a big stinkin 18K ring.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
take some of your own jewelry and see exactly what your machine says. Go out in yard and try this.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found gold between 38 and 76...small hollow gold earrings read the lowest but I got a nice solid 5.5 gram 14k cross that only reads 42...the 76 was a large size 8.6 gram 10k gold band...the majority of the 42 gold rings Ive found read in the 50s...a 4.2 gram 14k gold necklace came in at scratchy 41 and a 24k 9.7 gram gold bracelet came in with a solid 52...size, shape, and the metal its alloyed with determine the numbers it will read.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
An old guy at the park I was detecting at the other other day was checking out my detector the other day and pulled his 18K ring off put it in the hole and put the dirt back in the hole to see if I could show him and that rang up as a 77 so those stinkin zincolns could be be a big stinkin 18K ring.

Yes and you can bet your bottom dollar I dig every target if it is solid. If it is in the zincoln range and comes in scratchy and sketchy, I walk right on by. I rarely get a solid sounding zincoln.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
40-68 it comes in all ranges but usually will be a solid signal and tone that doesn't fluctuate

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and you can bet your bottom dollar I dig every target if it is solid. If it is in the zincoln range and comes in scratchy and sketchy, I walk right on by. I rarely get a solid sounding zincoln.

Wow, there must be something wrong with my ATP, but zinkins holler at me loud and proud. Every bloody one makes me feel like its a silver quarter or something really good.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, there must be something wrong with my ATP, but zinkins holler at me loud and proud. Every bloody one makes me feel like its a silver quarter or something really good.

That's really odd Higgy. Mine come in the mid 70's and have an odd scratchy mid tone sound.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really odd Higgy. Mine come in the mid 70's and have an odd scratchy mid tone sound.
Zincolns read 76 for me and always high tone...crusty eat up ones read a little lower but still high tone.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop looking at the numbers & you might dig gold.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop looking at the numbers & you might dig gold.

100% true! The fact that there are numbers to make you question targets, will make you miss things if you don't dig. The numbers are great for coins, but gold is everywhere , I've dug gold rings from 45-73 soooooo if you want to find gold , you beta dig it all

i typically have days where I will dig only low tones, and what's crazy is that I find ton of small silver pieces doing it too

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listening to only tones is a strong argument for getting a machine like a Vaquero or SGT. If you want to dig everything, you could just get a TDI Pro, and dig to china.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at the numbers but I don't use them to determine whether or not to dig....I dig everything above iron...Im going to dig it regardless but I like having a good idea whats coming out of the ground...numbers don't make me miss anything but they sure make me excited when I see a number that could be something good...of course the target could be anything but with my AT pro I know what the majority of my targets are before I dig.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at the numbers but I don't use them to determine whether or not to dig....I dig everything above iron...Im going to dig it regardless but I like having a good idea whats coming out of the ground...numbers don't make me miss anything but they sure make me excited when I see a number that could be something good...of course the target could be anything but with my AT pro I know what the majority of my targets are before I dig.

Absolutely right. They are another tool to use just like the depth reading, dominant frequency, etc. when you truly get to know your machine they all help. I like to guess what's going to come out of the ground before I dig. Kinda breaks up the monotony of my giant bag of trash. :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listening to only tones is a strong argument for getting a machine like a Vaquero or SGT. If you want to dig everything, you could just get a TDI Pro, and dig to china.

Its not about digging everything, its about being flexible on every site & learning the sounds. Some sites, if I dug everything it would take me 20 hours to cover an acre instead of about 5.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not about digging everything, its about being flexible on every site & learning the sounds. Some sites, if I dug everything it would take me 20 hours to cover an acre instead of about 5.

Exaclty, digging every tones is only good for certain places. I would go to a public park and start digging everything until I knew how trashy it was. Now if they tore down a really old house and scrapped the lot, that's when I would dig Amy target to see what I can expect..or a sports field that isn't too junky

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exaclty, digging every tones is only good for certain places. I would go to a public park and start digging everything until I knew how trashy it was. Now if they tore down a really old house and scrapped the lot, that's when I would dig Amy target to see what I can expect..or a sports field that isn't too junky
I do the same.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam Rick, as many gold rings as you have dug I can only believe your bored and wanted some conversation?
lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions