Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 6" pocket watch chain, kind of in a tangled ball, in the sand, at the beach...............scratchy 51-53-52, real jumpy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Leviathanrick,

In my experience, gold can range from 38 +/- to 69 +/-. I have found gold in these regions, but soil conditions, depth and position in the ground may modify the readings.
Just did a quick test on four found pieces (all solid tones from 6 inches test depth in Pro mode wide open):

1. Gold 14k large men’s ring – 62
2. Gold bracelet (thick with large gold ball attached) – 42
3. Gold heart pendent (large) – 55
4. Gold cross (small) – 40

Regards,

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine does not matter, its the gold... :thumbsup: If you have a small gold ring but its top is shaped like a coin it will come in higher than just a thin gold band :dontknow: If you have a big ring and a high karat ring they will also come in higher. :thumbsup: Depending on the shape, size and karat gold can come in as anything. :dontknow: The most common gold signals are generally 40-65 though I guess. :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And some of the big gold class rings will hit just like a stinkin lincoln. Hate to dig them but sometimes you just have to to get the big prizes.

Stormchaser JD

Dec 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a thin 10k cross ring up 38 but solid
I had a melted gold 22k coin ring up 48
And a big gold 18 k ring at 78
And a gold heart shaped locket rang up in the 60's I believe can't remember for sure but all the gold I hit rang up as a real solid tone no choppy or back and fourth sounds.

OP
OP
leviathanrick

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I'll have to start digging more of the mid tone signals. I appreciate the help.

BruceS

Nov 25, 2014
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold plated stuff shows in the same range too...ask my how I know...lol

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold nuggets 50 to 55

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pull tabs and nickles unfortunately

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes unfortunately Pull tabs and Nickels also show up at 50-55

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think my average is 500 to 1000 pop,pull tabs for every piece of gold I have found. But oh is it sweet to see gold in the hole

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found gold as low as 45 and as high as 68. I dig every signal 40 on up except for 76-78 scratchy zincolns. I LOVE when I am calling out targets such as foil or pull tabs and am wrong!!:laughing7:
HH

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light weight ladies 14K yellow gold shell design, 1.4 grams, just below the surface, skippy signal - 44, still the same air test
Ladies 14K band two tone white inside, yellow outside, 6" deep, 6.3 grams, good solid signal - 59

Good Luck & HH

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
If you have found gold items with your AT Pro I would like to know what numbers came up. Was not sure if this is where I should post this question but could not find any where else on T Net. Thanks
Rick

My experiences have been anywhere from 48-58.

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found gold as low as 45 and as high as 68. I dig every signal 40 on up except for 76-78 scratchy zincolns. I LOVE when I am calling out targets such as foil or pull tabs and am wrong!!:laughing7:
HH

I agree. I dig anything with a solid tone 40 and up. The more I use my AT, the more I focus on that solid tone...

Stormchaser JD

Dec 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rely on those numbers either!
When targets are masked or surround by bits of iron it can really mess with the read outs. That's why you should always dig solid repeatable tones.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found two 14K gold chains and the numbers were all over the place and there was other trash items nearby. If it sounds scratchy or the numbers run from low to high, I dig. About 3-4 months ago, I got a real trashy sounding target in the water and dug it anyway. I had a small rusted nail and a sterling silver ankle bracelet or chain whatever you call it, but there was enough variation of the tone to make me curious. When I'm in the water and can't see my console, I go by the tone and even when I see the numbers, if the tone is right I dig. I was showing 04 on the console, but had a good tone and found some trash and a clad dime. Sadly, 22 casings, 22 unfired rounds, aluminum foil, tabs, pop tops, pull tabs all come in the range that gold is found in and everytime I was tired and got that particular sound I almost didn't dig, it was a good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread