My First Hunt of 2015: I Found a WW1 Iron Cross Recipients Ring!

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My First Hunt of 2015: I Found a WW1 Iron Cross Recipients' Ring!

I also found a silver 1 Kreuzer from 1864, a silver earring, a bronze cross and 5.30 EUROS.

This was my first hunt of 2015, my first hunt with the 8x5 DD coil on my Garrett AT Pro and WOW, what a hunt it was! The WW 1 Iron Cross recipients' ring is one of my coolest finds to date!

Thanks for watching! Please like and subscribe and HH in 2015 to all!

IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

Upvote 15

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bery nice. The ring is a great find! Any idea what the bronze cross was issued for?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds thanks for sharing and congrats on the succcess.

OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bery nice. The ring is a great find! Any idea what the bronze cross was issued for?
Don't know yet David, but I'm researching it right now.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is cool!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find. it would be from an Iron Cross 1st or 2nd class recipient. these were awarded for acts of bravery. it just depends on what the recipient did. these were sold to soldiers by retailers and usually do not have the soldiers' names. I have owned a couple of these over the years and none I have had or seen were named. congrats!

Last edited:

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started metal detecting in Munich back in 1985. My parents bought a White's Coinmaster 2900d for my Christmas present. Best present I ever received. I hunted the housing addition in Perlacher for 4 years, with the movie theater being the best spot. I found jars of silver dimes, quarters & halves. My dad was high ranked, so we stayed in a private housing addition in Bogenhausen. Many great finds there as well. There are many great spots to hunt in Munich. My favorite was a park near Columbusplatz. This park had many silver rings and the amount of old German coins was amazing! You could find 100+ in a day, go back the next day and find 100 more in the same area ( 1873 to Nazi era ). My oldest there was 1801. My oldest dog tag or tax came from there as well, 1853. Augsburg had the oldest dated coins late 1500's to early 1600's. These coins were 1/2 the size of a half dime, super tiny. The only Romans I found were in Holzkirchen off the S2 line. You will find many awesome finds there in Germany. Best place I ever had the chance to hunt by far. RC

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnificent ring find! What a thrill it would be to somehow find the family of gentleman who wore it and personally hand it to them. I love seeing the expressions on their faces!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice looking ring!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet finds, awesome ring

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it has been 30 years and just going off of memory, I did some looking on the web to rekindle. It is actually Kolumbusplatz, not Columbusplatz. The Romans came from Deisenhofen, which is between Fasangarten and Holzkirchen on the green S2 line. I noticed your coin is Bavarian, so I figured you might be close. I encourage you to try the park right at Kolumbusplatz with the better technologically advanced detectors. There are two large grass areas. The back lower field is full of coins. Rings and Nazi relics were also quite common. Found many homemade swastika rings there. The Roman coins were found in Deisenhofen, supposedly near a Roman road. We camped in a small wooded area near a steep hill. The three of us all found Roman coins. I also found a Nazi SA badge or medal that was an Edelweiss w/ swastika in the center. Just trying to give you some intel. Hope you find some great coins and relics aplenty. Very nice ring and good luck with the return. RC

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread