Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to check out a new spot yesterday and came up with what I think is my finest silver find in 35 years of detecting. Yes, I did find a sterling knee buckle last year that is more historically significant, but not nearly as beautiful as this piece. I was hunting a pounded school yard looking for what others missed and came up with more nickels including a silver war nickel and the smallest silver medal I've ever seen. It started snowing and I wanted to give this new site a quick look. Only spent 15 minutes there, but it sure was worth it. Came up with this beautiful silver match case/safe. It's in remarkable condition with no dents and when I opened it up it looked almost new inside. Quite unusual for a ground find. My guess is it was made to be water resistant to protect the matches and it did it's job. I found the exact same piece for sale on ebay. Antique 5080 Ornate Fancy Whiting Sterling Silver Vesta Match Box Safe Holder | eBay

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

20150104_082939.jpg

Upvote 27

Padiggers

Dec 6, 2014
Cherry Tree, Pa
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, Delta 4000, TC2X, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now tell me exactly were that new site is :) Now I know why we dig all those holes.....NICE!

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know an approximate date that can be put to this item? That thing is nice. Very interesting and impressive find!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, that is one beautiful piece and a great addition to your collection! Don

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one very special find that you'll always treasure ! We don't often see one that nice showing up here .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It comes down to a person can ask anything they want, what the market price for an item is a whole different matter. Between the two there has to be common ground as I see the prices at two different ends and the lower seems just that too low for such a piece, it'll look great in a display as either price wouldn't entice me to sell a one of as is comes down to have and had something.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the nice compliments. I agree with crusader, the asking price for the piece on ebay was shooting for the moon. To me it's not about the value, it's just a beautiful piece and amazing find to come out of the ground. Banner?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know an approximate date that can be put to this item? That thing is nice. Very interesting and impressive find!

Considering the style I would guestimate early 1900s.............say 1900-1915 or thereabouts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread