The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Worn

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
After about two hours of going blank in the woods today I was ready to call it quits. It was during my slow retreat back to the car that I got a perfect penny/dime signal at about three inches. I remember thinking - alright, this is probably a coin and I hope it's silver. I cut a plug, and the target is still in the hole, but I must of pushed it a little deeper into the hole or turned it on it's side, since the signal changed to iffy quarter or something like that. So I pulled out a nice shovel full of dirt from the hole and checked the pile with the coil and it's back to reading penny/dime. I then used my pinpointer in the pile and heard it ring out. Pushing aside some dirt I saw the glint of silver and knew I had a coin. As soon as I picked it up I immediately knew it was a Reale, but my heart sank almost as fast when I saw that it was just about totally worn smooth on both sides, with cut lines to one side. Though I guess I was fortunate enough that even in it's extremely worn condition I can still make out the date of 1771.

P.S. This story is almost identical to how I found my first 1 Reale in these woods last summer. Just like today, I was on my way out of the woods and got a perfect penny/dime signal, that changed after I pulled the plug. The one I found that day was in nice condition, with a clear date of 1778.

Attachments

• reale1aa.jpg
    reale1aa.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 588
  • reale.jpg
    reale.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 664
  • reale2.jpg
    reale2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 686
  • reale1aa.jpg
    reale1aa.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Wor

It is still beautiful to me! A coin that is older than our country! Amazing

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
I think the good news out weighs the bad! I'd love to break into the 1700's!!
Congrats on a nice find.
Regards,
Jules

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
Maybe X marks the spot did you think about that. Nice find.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: The Good News: 1771 Spanish Silver 1 Reale - The Bad News: Frustratingly Wor

Wow, that is worn. At least you can id it and read the date. Still a great find.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Mine has minimal detail on back and less on front, but can still make out a date. The date on those Reales must be prominent enough to survive tremendous wear. Great find!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Silver is silver, but that is mighty OLD silver ! Something to treasure, especially since you can still make out the date.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes like the others have said, that is one awesome find. Finding it on the way back to the car is priceless. Just ask my partner, I find some of my best finds heading back to the car. Many guys on here have done the same thing. Don't ask me why, I guess it's fate or dumb luck. But it works. Those people who turn off their detectors, when leaving for the car are missing the boat.

HH, Ringfinder

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that! Date is still clear and the cut marks give it a ton of character!

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great coin, congrats

hh twister

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Coin, even if it is worn. Heck, I'm still trying to break into Pre-WWII. Never turn that detector off until your ready to put it in the vehicle.

HH

SeattleALE

Apr 16, 2007
Seattle Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II and Excalibor
I would have to say 90% of great finds are found in the last 5 minutes of a hunt and usually right next to the car door! Warn, yes, but great find nonetheless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions