Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a today's find, but update on restoration of 1794 LC that needed TLC

I was going to the Orlando Convention Center on the 10th to visit NGC on a preservation attempt with what I believe to be a 1794 LC I found this year. Decided to take it to a local expert coin dealer and get his input. He stated that the coin is too porous and that from his experience NGC would not be able to help. NOT what I wanted to hear. Being optimistic that saved me time and money going to Orlando for nothing. This guy did show me a NGC preserved 1793 chain cent with amazing details. He quoted me 20K. Wow!!! Was worth seeing it. If anyone has any suggestions on my 1794 LC please message me. Happy hunting folks!!!

Upvote 2

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any chance of taking better photos? Most phones take pretty good photos. Scanners on the printer work well also. It's hard to tell you what direction to go with so little to see of the coin.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exciting! Hope you get the info you need! Best of luck on the restoration of an awesome coin!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello WildWildBill,

Congratulations on the amazing find! I love finding old copper cents, but the coveted Liberty Cap series, my favorite coin …Wow!

Regards,

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay . To a coin collector ; which I am ,if I had to hold a coin at a certain angle under bright lights just to see what it might be or in such poor condition that is not gradable by the major services I would not be interested. So value wise it could not be compared to a coin value say as stated in a trends newspaper or Red Book. Just the fact you say you "believe "it is a 1794 date really says it all. Now as a metal detectorist I would say if this coin is identifiable as a flowing hair LC you have a once in a lifetime find and should be thrilled to death. Love it for what it is and not any less just because it's not worth a lot of money. Great find!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now as a metal detectorist I would say if this coin is identifiable as a flowing hair LC you have a once in a lifetime find and should be thrilled to death. Love it for what it is and not any less just because it's not worth a lot of money. Great find!

Well said. ..... well said

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to the Orlando Convention Center on the 10th to visit NGC on a preservation attempt with what I believe to be a 1794 LC I found this year. Decided to take it to a local expert coin dealer and get his input. He stated that the coin is too porous and that from his experience NGC would not be able to help. NOT what I wanted to hear. Being optimistic that saved me time and money going to Orlando for nothing. This guy did show me a NGC preserved 1793 chain cent with amazing details. He quoted me 20K. Wow!!! Was worth seeing it. If anyone has any suggestions on my 1794 LC please message me. Happy hunting folks!!!

Like i said 2 times before..Post a better pic, make sure it is of the side of the coin also, were it says one of a hundred.
I will be able to tell you what u have and if its the valuable one...
George

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ipad does terrible. If I can figure how to transfer from my phone to my tablet it would be for the best. The date on my coin is not ledgible, but you can see "one cent", some of "United States of American", and definitely most of the one hundredth of a dollar on the edge. I'm worried that if I try to use some process to clean the corrosion myself I will make it worse. Electrolysis sounds good, but no experience here. Afraid my coin would dissenegrate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread