Wheat penny 191?

jpholbert

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Meridian, MS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420598932.999707.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420598946.587473.jpg
Found this in my back yard today. Best year we could make out was 191 last number is unclear.

Upvote 3

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks in pretty rough shape. Good luck with figuring the date out.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can maybe try cleaning it up with a damp paper towel dabing it or some ketchup. Just afraid it's going to flake off on you but it's worth a try I suppose.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, she's pretty banged up there bud. Good luck finding the date. I swear the Ground's favorite hobby is to toast wheaties

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got one that looks like that, it is as if they were bleached out by something in the ground but still, it is a cool find, a lot better than a zincoid!

OP
OP
jpholbert

jpholbert

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Meridian, MS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know your not suppose to clean the coins but what should be my next step after I take it out of the ground to avoid scratching or defacing it? This was only my second hunt

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know your not suppose to clean the coins but what should be my next step after I take it out of the ground to avoid scratching or defacing it? This was only my second hunt

I completely stopped rubbing the dates, especially on silvers. Sometimes it's a real test of self control especially with old large coppers. The dirt from the ground being rubber with your fingers makes for great sandpaper. After that I wash what I can away with water. I it's a copper I let it dry completely then immerse it in mineral oil. Silvers I use soap and water.

Any cleaning I do with kabob skewers. They have a point for detail and a blunt end for bigger crud. I'm sure guys on here have more techniques so look around...

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
light brush with warm water then soak in olive oil to loosen the crud some that should help,,,, good luck

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put it in some hot peroxide. I toss my crappy wheats in just to pull a date sometimes to try to judge a date of a site. It works surprisingly well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread