HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's digs...1600's site, 1800's site in the frozen tundra

Bill D and I got out yesterday for a very roller coaster style day. We were able to make contact with a few landowners and while they were positive, none resulted in permission to dig that day. We will be able to access one in a few weeks and another hopefully after a second conversation. With the temps in the 20's and the ground frozen, we were relegated to digging in the woods at one of our better sites and were able to locate an 1800's house site. We made a few finds and then ventured to the next stop. Bill was able to secure permission and the two of us were very eager as this had been a site that we had driven by and talked about multiple times. Pulling in, we were both doing our best to contain our excitement, but it just was too much to maintain.

We started briefly in the field until we noticed a nice logged area in the back with a prominent hill. This site had an early 1600's land patent and was one of a few possibilities for a known, but lost location of a fairly prominent 1600's site. We began walking the site and immediately saw signs of brick and debris mixed in the dirt. Reaching the top of the hill, we found the site...an amazing iron field and brick scattered about. This was absolutely an early site and while it lacked the number of good signals we would like, almost every one was entirely 400+ years old!

Pewter pieces, brass copper, lead and pipe stems littered the frozen ground. We could only dig 1-3" due to the conditions, but something tells me this site is holding something special. I eyeballed a nice marked pipe stem bowl base (unable to make the design out) and was able to dig two grubbing hoes (one almost entirely intact). My favorite find at this site was the copper sheet pot that I recovered from the frozen ground. I did some damage to it, though it was already broken apart. I plan to restore this one the best that I can as it is a nice early example of our founding days. The last target I kept from that site was the nice 1600's era clothing adornment. I was able to recover the base to a pan onion bottle from one of the holes that the hoe came from...something tells me a nice pit will be in our future at this site.

At the end of the day we hit a 1800's (1850s-1880s) site that we discovered at the front of the property. I was able to recover 5 Indian Head cents (1882, 1885, 1863, 1865 and 188?) and four buttons. I dug a pile of melted lead and other bits and pieces. A nice cast brass "earlier then 1850s) bell was also recovered towards the end of the trip as we walked closer back to the 1600s site.

My favorite find of the day was the early neck stock buckle with a military motif. This one has me stumped on dates, known experts have told me 1812, Rev War or Mexican War. I am not sold on all or any yet, though I do like it.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    593.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    609.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    655.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    581.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    674.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 19

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing your stock buckle on Rev War site and now here, I combined your buckle and the button for comparing side by side. A lot more differences than I first thought, however, the Admiral Vernon is a great possibility since many of his medals and I am sure other commemoratives of him had varying busts on them and quite a few with cannons. I believe your stock buckle piece might be older than the button/cufflink. Super find, especially since you do not see many found in the first place whether plain or engraved or cast or stamped! I have a beautifully engraved stock clasp, four studs....... Don

Attachments

• Stock buckle compare with button.jpg
    Stock buckle compare with button.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Congrats on saving a cool piece of history! It was Admiral Vernon that George Washington's brother name "Mt Vernon" after. He was the biggest thing in the British navy, that is until Admiral Lord Nelson came along.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Dan, and a very interesting post. :thumbsup:
Congrats to you. I smell a BANNER coming. :occasion14:
-Doug-

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great piece of history right there in the hand. Never seen anything like it before, very cool.

I say it deserves a trip up on the banner.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting find with the little neck buckle. Looks very similar in design to the Admiral Vernon button. Maybe another peice like it will surface for a positive ID. I am looking forward to seeing what else this early site is hiding.

I realize this is not any help to you ID'ing the piece you found but it made me think about a button that I dug at a colonial site along Lockwoods Folly River that was a very crusty Admiral Vernon commemorative button. See post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/356515-crusty-button-george-washington.html

Yulelah

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2008
Hope Ar.
Detector(s) used
White Prism V
Congrats on finding the five indian head pennies and all your finds ! Good luck on your next hunt !

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great recoveries Dan. I like the heel plate and stock buckle, very nice hunt, you cleaned up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little neck stock buckle that I dug yesterday had created a little conversation among the Rev War experts. A known Rev War relic hunter posted a picture of a button he dug with a very similar motif and another posted a link to another variation of the button. My buckle has the same cannon, same flag (Cross of St. George) and you can see the bust in the same position above the two.

This little thing made my day for sure. Not 100% that it is a Edward Vernon, but all signs point to yes without seeing the exact sample already labeled as such. From what I gather, these items are fairly rare...what say our brethren from across the pond? Either way I feel confident in saying that it is Rev War era or perhaps a bit earlier.

I attached a copy of the picture of the button and here is the link for the other button.

HH

Dan

Record ID: SUSS-007DB8 - POST MEDIEVAL clasp - Database

Lets put it this way, there are 4 of this 'type' recorded on the PAS & none on the UKDFD, I've had 1 plain one, like the one above. So yes, it's very rare, to get a plain one & yours is over & above that!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Lets put it this way, there are 4 of this 'type' recorded on the PAS & none on the UKDFD, I've had 1 plain one, like the one above. So yes, it's very rare, to get a plain one & yours is over & above that!

I don't see the relation between the find and the link?

It's a great find Dan, it really made the hunt and like you said about the one site there must be something special there.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It does show a little of what I was saying though as mine to look at seems older & your page goes along with that if you scroll down there's one dated older much more like the one I found.His mabe rev. war I don't know for sure.But in style his looks newer to me & would put it in the time frame of the later years of these.After looking back at my other piece I think it is part of a shoe buckle even though they made some stock clasp like it.I think if it was put back together it be to big for that as I'm sure it's only about half the size it would be.I did find another item that I've never figured out.Not sure what it would have gone to.Anyway wanted to clear myself about what I said asit was not to put the find down in anyway I said mine looked older & still believe it is.But HIs is a great find with all the design & as said they don't just pop up all the time.

Attachments

• DSCN0216.JPG
    DSCN0216.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0217.JPG
    DSCN0217.JPG
    959.1 KB · Views: 59

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments all. I am glad this thing created such dialogue. It will go in my collection with pride and now calls for another trip back to that particular part of the site.

Dan

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great days digging Dan :thumbsup:.... Like others have said... Many clasps and hasps of this type are believed to be neck-stock clasps. They generally date to the George III period, neck-stocks having superseded cravats circa 1786 and been in use until about the middle of the 19th century, some have even suggested that some might have been military pouch fasteners.

Great find.:thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread