HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's digs...1600's site, 1800's site in the frozen tundra

Bill D and I got out yesterday for a very roller coaster style day. We were able to make contact with a few landowners and while they were positive, none resulted in permission to dig that day. We will be able to access one in a few weeks and another hopefully after a second conversation. With the temps in the 20's and the ground frozen, we were relegated to digging in the woods at one of our better sites and were able to locate an 1800's house site. We made a few finds and then ventured to the next stop. Bill was able to secure permission and the two of us were very eager as this had been a site that we had driven by and talked about multiple times. Pulling in, we were both doing our best to contain our excitement, but it just was too much to maintain.

We started briefly in the field until we noticed a nice logged area in the back with a prominent hill. This site had an early 1600's land patent and was one of a few possibilities for a known, but lost location of a fairly prominent 1600's site. We began walking the site and immediately saw signs of brick and debris mixed in the dirt. Reaching the top of the hill, we found the site...an amazing iron field and brick scattered about. This was absolutely an early site and while it lacked the number of good signals we would like, almost every one was entirely 400+ years old!

Pewter pieces, brass copper, lead and pipe stems littered the frozen ground. We could only dig 1-3" due to the conditions, but something tells me this site is holding something special. I eyeballed a nice marked pipe stem bowl base (unable to make the design out) and was able to dig two grubbing hoes (one almost entirely intact). My favorite find at this site was the copper sheet pot that I recovered from the frozen ground. I did some damage to it, though it was already broken apart. I plan to restore this one the best that I can as it is a nice early example of our founding days. The last target I kept from that site was the nice 1600's era clothing adornment. I was able to recover the base to a pan onion bottle from one of the holes that the hoe came from...something tells me a nice pit will be in our future at this site.

At the end of the day we hit a 1800's (1850s-1880s) site that we discovered at the front of the property. I was able to recover 5 Indian Head cents (1882, 1885, 1863, 1865 and 188?) and four buttons. I dug a pile of melted lead and other bits and pieces. A nice cast brass "earlier then 1850s) bell was also recovered towards the end of the trip as we walked closer back to the 1600s site.

My favorite find of the day was the early neck stock buckle with a military motif. This one has me stumped on dates, known experts have told me 1812, Rev War or Mexican War. I am not sold on all or any yet, though I do like it.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    593.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    609.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    655.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    581.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    674.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 19

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally those neck stock are 18th C, but I'm using probability not in depth research. I've only had 1 myself & it was undecorated - great find!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice assortment of digs dan!, is that a sterling utensil handle? I love those heel plates too

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds like usual! Really like the military piece and heel plate. Would of thought it would have been a four leaf clover with all that luck. Looks like a real promising site. HH!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dan,

Congratulations on a very impressive lot of finds!

Regards,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That neck stock buckle is killer Dan.... But that early 1600s site has to have you boys SUPER excited. Places where you can dig a 16th century hammered coin in the US are few and far between. I hope this place is awesome for you both

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice heel plate and military relic, heck it is all good

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, those are some promising finds. I can't wait to see what you guys pull out when the ground isn't frozen. I love the neck stock buckle & eagerly waiting for you to get a solid ID. There were some similarities to the unique button John posted in Don's group on facebook. To me, it screams 18th century but I am definitely no expert.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan. The neck stock buckle is really cool and hopefully you'll get an accurate ID on it. How do you plan on restoring the pot?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I really like that buckle piece. I am no expert on these but the cannon carage pictured on this buckle look way too fancy for a British or American cannon so I am thinking Mexican War vintage.
Great group of finds, congrats.
ZDD

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan. The neck stock buckle is really cool and hopefully you'll get an accurate ID on it. How do you plan on restoring the pot?

I need to see how much is missing (i suspect about 50% of the attachment points) and thinking plumbers tape and solder ... this is a new one for me

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digging & finds.Those stock buckles are kinda tuff to come across.I've only dug two myself.One was from a Rev war site the other was a earlier site.Looking at mine to yours the way they are made I think yours might be later more late 18th century if not early 19th.JMO As I said though they don't show much on sites so it's a great find no the less.My Rev war one has a design of the scallop look with other going on.My early one is all open work made.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with the cannons is an indication of British artillery. I've seen that before.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad we saved the day with that last site Dan. Hopefully that 1600s spot will produce something really nice when we go back and hit it harder. It's too bad we can't hunt 80% of it due to the logging debris. But we have some more possibilities on the horizon, and hopefully we can get back to the point where we have at least 2 or 3 productive sites going on at the same time.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on Buckle...potentially Admiral Edward Vernon (1684-1757) Commemorative

The little neck stock buckle that I dug yesterday had created a little conversation among the Rev War experts. A known Rev War relic hunter posted a picture of a button he dug with a very similar motif and another posted a link to another variation of the button. My buckle has the same cannon, same flag (Cross of St. George) and you can see the bust in the same position above the two.

This little thing made my day for sure. Not 100% that it is a Edward Vernon, but all signs point to yes without seeing the exact sample already labeled as such. From what I gather, these items are fairly rare...what say our brethren from across the pond? Either way I feel confident in saying that it is Rev War era or perhaps a bit earlier.

I attached a copy of the picture of the button and here is the link for the other button.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 10366173_10200251470527201_3719095250050508200_n.jpg
    10366173_10200251470527201_3719095250050508200_n.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad we saved the day with that last site Dan. Hopefully that 1600s spot will produce something really nice when we go back and hit it harder. It's too bad we can't hunt 80% of it due to the logging debris. But we have some more possibilities on the horizon, and hopefully we can get back to the point where we have at least 2 or 3 productive sites going on at the same time.

I believe I can move some of those piles around...if a pit is under it. Remember what I said about you being due for something ;) this just might be it bud.

Looking forward to saturday.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I can move some of those piles around...if a pit is under it. Remember what I said about you being due for something ;) this just might be it bud.

Looking forward to saturday.

I can throw the chainsaw in the truck :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread