🥇 BANNER LIGHTNING STRUCK TWICE!--ANOTHER FIND OF A LIFETIME!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am still in disbelief at this day. When I found a Planter's Bank Counterstamped Quarter-Cut 8 Reales back in 2013 with a five digit price tag, I thought I'd never, EVER again see something that rare or valuable under my coil again.

Well, today I found a SECOND one of these incredible coins! Only 75-100 examples known, and I now have TWO in my collection. Here is what Q. David Bowers says about these coins in the book "100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens." The history of these pieces is quite fascinating, and closely related to the historical reason that the US dollar denomination was divided into four quarters (to enlarge the photo, click, then click a second time):

PBbook.JPG

We were out for about 10 hours today in the mud and muck, and we dug a grand total of less than 10 keepers. This coin was found in an area we were scouting that had some sparse signs, but turned out to have no real concentration of finds. The coin must have been a random drop long, long ago.

It's official. I have now dug more of these coins than Barber Quarters. :laughing7:

This is Spanish/Real #58 since spring of 2012 for us digging in Louisiana. I know I said we'd have a party when we hit #60--but for me, the party is starting right now! :headbang:

post.JPG post1.JPG

HPIM5028.JPG HPIM5029.JPG post2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 88

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's up there for all to see so soon and it should be as it's a no brainer! This is simply amazing luck for you to have happen once again huge congrats Buck.:occasion14:

How far away from the first one was this one found, ft-fields-miles?

You've once again set that bar high for yourself, but that's what makes achievements great when one challenges themselves.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, again!
Ha, I told you a "big one" would find its way under your coil this year, I just wasn't expecting it so soon!
After all, if you put yourself out there in those older sites, the prizes will yours to find, continued success to you

Right after I dug this coin, I was standing in the field, and I thought about your comment. I wasn't expecting it this soon either--BUT, the best finds never happen when we're expecting them.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I got up for something other than a sore hip!:laughing7: That is REALLY HIP!!!

I voted....BANNER!

GOD Bless

Chris

Haha, I was a little sore after the 10 hour day in the mud! :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be liking that! :headbang:

That totally reminds me of a token that has turned up here. Is not from here, books say there was only about 100 made and most were lost in a fire in the 1840s. In 2000 my friend found one and it was the first example to go to auction in 50 years, and as time went on there has been at least 4 more found with Ironhorse and myself each having dug one. What's great about detecting is what may be extremely rare above ground could be in bigger numbers below, and it's just a matter of swinging the coil over the right site. I really feel some day IH or I will find another one of these tokens, and they are valuable, and now that you hit a 2nd PB, and especially since you do dig a lot of Spanish silver, I'd say it's entirely possible you see a 3rd and maybe even a 4th before it's all said and done.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, sounds a real slow day. It is funny how the rarist things can come from the most unpromising areas. Thats why I'm sure that if I 'ever' get a Roman Gold in will not be on the 15 or so sites we found but in the middle of no-where. Big congrats on number 2, maybe there is a 3 out there in your future.

So true. I still remember your unpromising area (was it a gold sovereign that was dug?). The first one of these coins was dug at a site that was actually too new for it to even be there--so it had to be a random drop as well. If anyone can dig Roman Gold it will be the Team Crusader. You have the perseverance, land permissions, and meticulousness to achieve it. I'm convinced that a lot of being successful at this hobby is just being thorough...

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's up there for all to see so soon and it should be as it's a no brainer! This is simply amazing luck for you to have happen once again huge congrats Buck.:occasion14:

How far away from the first one was this one found, ft-fields-miles?

You've once again set that bar high for yourself, but that's what makes achievements great when one challenges themselves.

This one was many miles away from where the first one was dug; completely different area, strangely enough.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be liking that! :headbang:

That totally reminds me of a token that has turned up here. Is not from here, books say there was only about 100 made and most were lost in a fire in the 1840s. In 2000 my friend found one and it was the first example to go to auction in 50 years, and as time went on there has been at least 4 more found with Ironhorse and myself each having dug one. What's great about detecting is what may be extremely rare above ground could be in bigger numbers below, and it's just a matter of swinging the coil over the right site. I really feel some day IH or I will find another one of these tokens, and they are valuable, and now that you hit a 2nd PB, and especially since you do dig a lot of Spanish silver, I'd say it's entirely possible you see a 3rd and maybe even a 4th before it's all said and done.

That's a good point. Certainly more of these pieces will come to light. Likely not hundreds, but perhaps as many as dozens. I know of two other detectorists who have dug one (a guy in New Orleans and Tnet member KevinDFX), but as far as I know I'm the first to dig two.

Shanegalang will be happy to know that there's hope for him to find a PB. He almost lost it when I dug the second one. :D

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing banner find Buckleboy!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good point. Certainly more of these pieces will come to light. Likely not hundreds, but perhaps as many as dozens. I know of two other detectorists who have dug one (a guy in New Orleans and Tnet member KevinDFX), but as far as I know I'm the first to dig two.

Shanegalang will be happy to know that there's hope for him to find a PB. He almost lost it when I dug the second one. :D

Yep, that's what was funny here... four of us who hunted together all each got one, with mine coming last in 2009, but actually being the best... so I guess it was worth the wait. Those PBs obviously circulated around there so to me it makes a lot more sense there's more to be found, than thinking you beat massive odds and found the only two. Sure it might take a while but I expect to see another.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is simply Amazing Will, you might decide to sell one though because if you keep finding them their going to lose that rarity value. :notworthy:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather excited voice on your video! :) WOW, a second PB and as IP suggests a third might be in your future! But perhaps your buddy needs to find his first before that! Congratulations on another spectacular find and yes, contact John...........Don

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BB, defiantly a banner find, but you all ready know that:laughing7:. Any chance you could post a pic of the two CS coins together?
ZDD

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging History!! That is the greatest thing about our hobby. I continuously learn more and more about our history through this amazing hobby we share! Big congrats on your well deserved BANNER!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What the heck?
I take a short break for a couple of days to do some library research and you guys are making finds of a lifetime every day!
And for you - TWICE! WTG! that's an amazing find. I never heard of that counterstamp deal. Neat - love to learn. HH
Congrats on the Banner!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on an absolutely fantastic find (times 2)!

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome! Hope you dig another and hopefully that same person dropped a few in Covington :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread