jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
GOLD TREE

I can’t say I found this metal detecting, but I DID find it today at a local estate sale. The item is a tree–shaped object with acorns and leaves. Although it’s been chemically or otherwise darkened, if you rub the metal with a bit of silver polish, it becomes bright gold in color. That fact, plus the sheer weight of the object led me to believe that it just might be gold or gold vermeil. Sure enough, after testing it, it turned out to be 22 carat (to my amazement!)(P.S.--the lightened areas were already there as found--I chose not to polish the piece, but to leave it as original as possible)

At the base of the tree is a small gold plaque announcing a couple’s fiftieth anniversary along with a list of their children. It is dated 1865. In my many years as an antiques collector, I have never seen anything like this item!
An internet search came up empty also.

If you have seen one of these “trees” or know of the purpose or use of it, PLEASE let me know – I would LOVE to find out something about it.
P.P.S.--On the underneath sides of the branches are small holes--possibly put there for casting, or...possibly to attach something to it--another mystery!!!

Thanks! Jack.

Attachments

• tree 1.JPG
    tree 1.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Tree 2.JPG
    Tree 2.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Tree 3.JPG
    Tree 3.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Tree 4.JPG
    Tree 4.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 5

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its interesting how flat it is, its not very tree-like. Is it possible its been flattened for easier transport or boxing many years ago? Are you able to move the branches and make it stand more like a tree? The artist may have used the gold on purpose because of its malleable so you can arrange the tree a bit.

The one thing throwing me off is the darker color of the tree itself, it really looks like brass, but there is no way to know if they mixed the 22k with something to give it a darker more tree-like appearance.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice discovery!

I found this:

WILLIAM POWELL
Born 1790; Died 1882.

Buried Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Married: Elizabeth Carr.

They had:

Henry

William Essex

James

Elizabeth

So it seems pretty clear that the item is from 1865, which is awesome. That said, I am highly skeptical of any suggestions that it is entirely gold or plated silver. It's a possibility, but a very very slim one in my mind. If anything, I'd imagine that only the plaque would be precious. What "tests" have you performed? If it were me, I'd be doing a specific gravity test a few times over, which are easy to do. It just looks like brass or bronze to me, in all honesty. Good luck though.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that everything is gold. Especially seeing the base with the nut and bolt. Gold was $31 an ounce in 1866. So if solid gold it was a $200 worth of gold. Lots of money to spend back then.
It's an awesome find. But I am leaning towards brass or gold plating. I hope I'm wrong

Bob

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WILLIAM POWELL
Born 1790; Died 1882.

They had:

Henry

William Essex

James

Elizabeth

I was looking at that on Ancestry . com, if we can find an occupation it might lend credence to it being gold. If a baker, probably not, if a factory owner, perhaps.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"gold tree"

Looks plated to me too, maybe it's the lighting, but not very well plated at that. If the plaque is the same gold as the rest why doesn't it all shine the same? Hope it's real for your sake though!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a baker, probably not, if a factory owner, perhaps.

It does appear that the family operated "The William Powell Co. (established 1846), proprietors of the Union Brass Works" which made all manner of valves and brass fittings. From what I've gleaned, it was a very prosperous company, at least closer to the end of the 19th century. This suggests that they had money, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sons actually made the tree and base in their brassworks, and then commissioned a jeweler/watchmaker/engraver to craft the plaque. Hard to say at this point, but I would like to take a peek at the back of the plaque. It could be gold, but I have serious doubts about the rest. The year 1865 wasn't exactly a time of non-remunerative opulent exuberance, even for business owners.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading the inscription it appears to be a Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary gift. Nice score, a very unique piece of Americana.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just whack one of the leaves in half and see what's inside! LOL Just kidding of course. Beautiful and significant piece of history and art. Excellent find.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"gold tree"

If it's 50th it may have been presented in 1915 which would have meant a richer US before ww1.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! I am intrigued by the beautiful piece you acquired. Please keep us posted on the gold content.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Amazing find. I still can't believe that this sat at the sale for forty bucks and no one bought it before you! Great eye and a great reminder to always trust your intuition.
Another note, is it possible the date is when they were married, and it was made in 1915 or shortly after?
Thank you, bdsawyer, and you have a GREAT point! It never occurred to me that the 1865 may have been the marriage date rather than the celebration date! Thanks so much!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Acid tests are a good indicator of the karat, have you considered a specific gravity test for the item? Just watched this short clip on how to test an item and the specific gravity of 22 karat gold is 17.7 to 17.8.

Thank you for the info! I have tried specific gravity tests in the past with little success, but maybe I could have an expert do this. Also, I was thinking about taking it to an old friend at the local pawn shop to test it throughout-I think he has a non-invasive method to test.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Its interesting how flat it is, its not very tree-like. Is it possible its been flattened for easier transport or boxing many years ago? Are you able to move the branches and make it stand more like a tree? The artist may have used the gold on purpose because of its malleable so you can arrange the tree a bit.

The one thing throwing me off is the darker color of the tree itself, it really looks like brass, but there is no way to know if they mixed the 22k with something to give it a darker more tree-like appearance.

No, the item is pretty rigid--only the leaves and small branches can be bent, and I fear doing even that! I'm not really sure about the darkening of gold, although I do know that it is possible. A good example is the jewelry work of Gurhan, who uses 24 carat gold, but sometimes darkens it. Same with silver. P.S.--After further research, it appears Gurhan only blackened silver!

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice discovery!

I found this:

WILLIAM POWELL
Born 1790; Died 1882.

They had:

Henry

William Essex

James

Elizabeth

So it seems pretty clear that the item is from 1865, which is awesome. That said, I am highly skeptical of any suggestions that it is entirely gold or plated silver. It's a possibility, but a very very slim one in my mind. If anything, I'd imagine that only the plaque would be precious. What "tests" have you performed? If it were me, I'd be doing a specific gravity test a few times over, which are easy to do. It just looks like brass or bronze to me, in all honesty. Good luck though.

Looks like you nailed it. So 1865 was the fiftieth anniversary of the wedding. Solid gold does seem unlikely but since the OP likes it for its history and artistry I'm sure they won't really care in the long run.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Ok...personally I enjoy playing devil's advocate and this item intrigues me. The further intrigue comes from the doubters of whether the whole item is solid gold. I think the OP has a very rare item and one that is really a testament to Ohio history and to the Powell family specifically. I will concede that while this item may NOT be entirely gold, this family more than had the financial and material capability to have such an item made...

First, William Powell was born in England and by the early 1820s he and his family move from London to Ghent, Belgium. James Powell (who will eventually take over his father's company) is born in 1832 in Ghent. Ghent was a very rich town in northern Europe and had been for centuries prior to the arrival of the Powell family. In the late 1830s, Powell and his family move to the States eventually settling in Cincinnati. In 1846 William begins Union Brassworks and Foundry (eventually to be called the William Powell Company) and brings with it the first brass faucet west of the Ohio river. The company does well, very well, making an assortment of brass items, but a whole host of other items as well including valves, water closets, oil globes, couplings...the list goes on and on. By the time the Civil War is on, the company makes both spurs and sabres used in the war, again doing very well financially. By war's end, in 1865 (also the 50th wedding anniversary, the company's celebrated "Star" regrinding valve is patented and introduced. Very cool. Profitable. The very next year, 1866, James Powell takes over the company from his father. Starts a stock company under William Powell name and begins construction on a new plant (the original plant in Cincinnati was a three story brick building). Gotta have decent funds for building a new larger plant. James Powell is known for his scientific and inventive savvy and to make a long story short the Powell companies manufacture valves used in the early automotive industry, valves used in in Navy ships during WW1, the roaring 20s saw them putting out a new stainless steel alloy valve that was highly sought after, WW2 sees them making corrosion resistant valves to resist nitric acid used in explosives. After WW2 both Army/Navy and Maritime industries give the Powell companies "E" and "M" recognition their defense efforts, moving along the Powell company manufactures cryogenic valves helping put a man on the moon and now Powell valves are used in nuclear reactor plants across the country....

Back to macro, James Powell dies in 1908 (see link below) that outline some of what I've said above. Today the Powell Company is still in existence and an important force in the industrial engineering world of high performance products.

But i'm getting ahead of myself right? We were talking about an item made in 1865 way before most of what I was talking about even happened. But think about it, this item is roughly 8 oz which is 8 melted down $20 eagles which were rare at the time but not unheard of. By 1865 all four Powell children were adults and either working for their father's company or doing their own thing. At the very least, the four could have "put in" for a nice Golden gift for their folks 50th anniversary which is commonplace to do even today. They "went big" in 1865 for their parents who had provided them the benefits of a good, profitable company. Split four ways this supposedly monumental cost of making such an item is not quite as far fetched especially when you have a very profitable company even before the war and was making many wartime items.

Whether this item turns out to be all solid gold or very little gold, I think it is still important historically and very possible to have made financially considering the Powell Company background. As the Powell company is still in existence, descendents of James Powell may still own all or some of the company. May be worth a call to find out.

a few links for things I came across

1) 1866 advertisement for William Powell Company (neat)
2) 1908 trade publication "Gas Engine" made in Cincinnati that chronicles James Powell's passing and his legacy
3) 1976 Cincinnati magazine chronicling the Union Brassworks/Powell Company beginnings and continuing work
4) 2015 - Powell Valves website and contact info

WmPowell.JPG

https://books.google.com/books?id=q...=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=James Powell&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=2...page&q=James Powell Union Brass Works&f=false

Industrial Valve Manufacturer - High Performance Engineered Products | Powell Valves

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thread ! some decent research is raining down around this piece ! I'm gonna stay tuned ...

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Ok...personally I enjoy playing devil's advocate and this item intrigues me. The further intrigue comes from the doubters of whether the whole item is solid gold. I think the OP has a very rare item and one that is really a testament to Ohio history and to the Powell family specifically. I will concede that while this item may NOT be entirely gold, this family more than had the financial and material capability to have such an item made...

First, William Powell was born in England and by the early 1820s he and his family move from London to Ghent, Belgium. James Powell (who will eventually take over his father's company) is born in 1832 in Ghent. Ghent was a very rich town in northern Europe and had been for centuries prior to the arrival of the Powell family. In the late 1830s, Powell and his family move to the States eventually settling in Cincinnati. In 1846 William begins Union Brassworks and Foundry (eventually to be called the William Powell Company) and brings with it the first brass faucet west of the Ohio river. The company does well, very well, making an assortment of brass items, but a whole host of other items as well including valves, water closets, oil globes, couplings...the list goes on and on. By the time the Civil War is on, the company makes both spurs and sabres used in the war, again doing very well financially. By war's end, in 1865 (also the 50th wedding anniversary, the company's celebrated "Star" regrinding valve is patented and introduced. Very cool. Profitable. The very next year, 1866, James Powell takes over the company from his father. Starts a stock company under William Powell name and begins construction on a new plant (the original plant in Cincinnati was a three story brick building). Gotta have decent funds for building a new larger plant. James Powell is known for his scientific and inventive savvy and to make a long story short the Powell companies manufacture valves used in the early automotive industry, valves used in in Navy ships during WW1, the roaring 20s saw them putting out a new stainless steel alloy valve that was highly sought after, WW2 sees them making corrosion resistant valves to resist nitric acid used in explosives. After WW2 both Army/Navy and Maritime industries give the Powell companies "E" and "M" recognition their defense efforts, moving along the Powell company manufactures cryogenic valves helping put a man on the moon and now Powell valves are used in nuclear reactor plants across the country....

Back to macro, James Powell dies in 1908 (see link below) that outline some of what I've said above. Today the Powell Company is still in existence and an important force in the industrial engineering world of high performance products.

But i'm getting ahead of myself right? We were talking about an item made in 1865 way before most of what I was talking about even happened. But think about it, this item is roughly 8 oz which is 8 melted down $20 eagles which were rare at the time but not unheard of. By 1865 all four Powell children were adults and either working for their father's company or doing their own thing. At the very least, the four could have "put in" for a nice Golden gift for their folks 50th anniversary which is commonplace to do even today. They "went big" in 1865 for their parents who had provided them the benefits of a good, profitable company. Split four ways this supposedly monumental cost of making such an item is not quite as far fetched especially when you have a very profitable company even before the war and was making many wartime items.

Whether this item turns out to be all solid gold or very little gold, I think it is still important historically and very possible to have made financially considering the Powell Company background. As the Powell company is still in existence, descendents of James Powell may still own all or some of the company. May be worth a call to find out.

a few links for things I came across

1) 1866 advertisement for William Powell Company (neat)
2) 1908 trade publication "Gas Engine" made in Cincinnati that chronicles James Powell's passing and his legacy
3) 1976 Cincinnati magazine chronicling the Union Brassworks/Powell Company beginnings and continuing work
4) 2015 - Powell Valves website and contact info

View attachment 1108052

https://books.google.com/books?id=q...=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=James Powell&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=2...page&q=James Powell Union Brass Works&f=false

Industrial Valve Manufacturer - High Performance Engineered Products | Powell Valves

Sir,
MY SINCERE THANKS for all this extensive research-it is extremely helpful! AND TO ALL THE OTHERS WHO HAVE WRITTEN AND I HAVEN'T YET GOTTEN OUT A RESPONSE--MY APOLOGIES! The sheer volume of all these helpful people writing has overwhelmed me, but I will try and write everyone in due time. For now, THANKS to ALL! The biggest question in people's minds seems to be whether this tree is actually gold or not. The only way I know to do it is to clip a small leaf from the piece and test it. Something that thin would surely show plating if that is the case. I'm going to try and find an insignificant spot to remove a part of a leaf and I will give this a thorough test asap. I will let you know what I find out!

Just removed an inconspicuous portion of a leaf on the underside--it was dark brown, but turned shiny as I cut away at it. I tested it with 22k solution, but it slowly faded after about 5 minutes. Re-tested with 18k, and it has remained a bright, shiny streak for over 10 minutes. Conclusion--the leaves at least, are probably 18k rather than the 22k originally thought. I sincerely believe the entire piece is at least 18k. If there is an expert out there anywhere near Central Virginia, I would be more than happy to have them run a detailed test and report their results to Treasurenet. I would like several references, however, to insure that not just any Tom, Dick, or Harry shows up at my front door! (Actually, the test would be done at our local Police Department.)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread