Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting buddy Dan had been saddled with an ugly virus for most of last week, but had recovered enough to finally get back out for a half day yesterday. We decided to return to the new site we had secured permission for the prior weekend. This is a 1630s land patent that we've had our eyes on for quite some time, and on our first trip there we discovered we had some bonus territory to hunt thanks to recent logging activity. It was obvious where the original home stood as you can see in one of the pics below, and iron was scattered over a fairly wide area around the house site. But due to the logging debris we're only going to be able to put our coils on maybe 25% of the site which is a real shame as I feel a couple hammered silvers are hiding there as well as a trash pit or two. We hunted there a bit, and spent some time walking the expansive property, but our finds weren't anything to brag about. However, I was able to recover part of a mid-1600s trapezoidal buckle along with a couple of early buttons, 2 musketballs, and this heavy, octagonal brass piece with 2 slots. Not sure what that is. Both of us eyeballed more very early pipe stems as you can tell from their large bores. We then ventured out into the adjacent field to check a couple of interesting spots and to give it a general walk-thru as we usually do. Dan stumbled upon a bit of iron in an unsuspecting area that produced a few colonial buttons and relics. We also made it back to the nearby knoll where we discovered a 19th century house site on the last hunt that produced quite a few finds including that Petersburg merchant token I recovered. We ended the day walking a large adjacent field as well as a small, hidden one that looked very promising, but we struck out on both. We still plan to return to this property, but are refocusing our efforts now on getting into some new sites.

Also, back on Saturday, I hooked up with my old friend Stan to dig in the huge early colonial pit we've been digging in for years. Unfortunately the bottle seals evaded us this time, but Stan did manage to dig 5 pipe bowls from his spot, and 3 of them were of the reddish-brown variety (domestically produced). One with some rim decoration is shown below. My effort didn't produce much more than a bunch of black glass spouts, mostly mallet but a couple of onions too, some period pottery, and about 30 pipe stems. Not the best day, but it's always a blast digging at this historic location as some incredible finds have been unearthed here. But there's always next time ....

Attachments

• 011915a.jpg
    011915a.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 011915b.jpg
    011915b.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 011915c.jpg
    011915c.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 011915d.jpg
    011915d.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 011915e.jpg
    011915e.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 011715b.jpg
    011715b.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 011715a.jpg
    011715a.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 011915h.jpg
    011915h.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 011915g.jpg
    011915g.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 011915f.jpg
    011915f.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 011715c.jpg
    011715c.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 17

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Good digs Bill. I always liked those trapezoidal buckles. Glad you were able to get back in the pit as well, always a chance for something epic there.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one site needs a good cleaning up with a brush blade on a dozer, but what are the chances of them burning the slash piles Bill?

Liking the red pipe bowl and the stem sure has a large diameter hole.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some nice old finds. You have spoiled us by finding all those colonial silvers and coppers, we have to come to expect them every time from you. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck next time.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'd like to see you find a whole onion bottle bud. I'm sure the chances are next to zero but I'll keep hoping for you. I'm def gonna try some out digging this year

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some nice old finds. You have spoiled us by finding all those colonial silvers and coppers, we have to come to expect them every time from you. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck next time.

And it's killing us that we haven't been able to get our coils over a colonial coin lately. Hopefully the drought will end soon.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the finds!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs!Old moneys probably not too far away.Gl to you guys,HH

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell, from that picture, where the house would have been :) Those are some early finds Bill. It's a shame they won't burn or mulch that property because there is definitely some old silver in there. I also love terra cotta pipestem. Compared to the dutch pipes, the bore size on them was an indicator that we would become a country of excess and over indulgence :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice looking finds! You'll get your colonial silver soon. I really like the pipes and stems. That would be fun digging in a site like that. I may try digging and sifting soon at one of my old sites. Hope it's half as productive. HH!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The one site needs a good cleaning up with a brush blade on a dozer, but what are the chances of them burning the slash piles Bill?

Liking the red pipe bowl and the stem sure has a large diameter hole.

This is in a fairly remote area so I highly doubt the debris will be cleared off. Definitely a bummer.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Looking at your pictures you have some decent hunting weather too. As I type it is about -5 outside my house, I can hear the furnace running. What I would give to be able to pick up a pipe stem right now.....

VPR

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a shame about the logging debris, but looks like a good dig. Man, those are some BIG clay pipe bores!

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gz on intresting finds!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's hard to tell, from that picture, where the house would have been :) Those are some early finds Bill. It's a shame they won't burn or mulch that property because there is definitely some old silver in there. I also love terra cotta pipestem. Compared to the dutch pipes, the bore size on them was an indicator that we would become a country of excess and over indulgence :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

Yeah, and I've been trying to locate some of that "excess", but haven't had much luck lately.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the Chesapeak pipe piece there Bill,Cool find & the only other one I've seen other then my pipes like them.here's a site on them For the Love of History: Further Digging Into Our Colonial Past, Uncovers a Truly "American" Clay Pipe
There's more sites I think in this post I made awhile back http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/427382-piping-up.html
Take care,
Pete,:hello:

Thanks for the link Pete. I've found quite a few of those reddish-brown domestically produced pipe stems, and only a couple of bowls. And they all seem to have huge bores which makes them quite early.

all bowls.jpg

gazelle pipe bowl.jpg

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of great pipes. I'd rather dig a pipe than a reale any day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread