Silver streak continues....10 hunts straight!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted all over and my game plan fell apart. I thought I had found the edge of a filled pond but all I hit were two wheats. Hunted two hours and got a 12-44 on my CTX. Pinpointed and it jumped up to 12-45. Dug out a frozen clump and there it was 5" down.

1927 Merc.

2015 is off to a great start with 10 silvers and also 10 straight trips in a row scoring silver totaling 13 overall.

Attachments

• image-2792898016.jpg
    image-2792898016.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 18

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok this is getting ridiculous bro! First off I hope your T2 did not hear you just now....cause it will be super pissed. But here's the ninjas thoughts on things. I think machines can certainly thrive depending upon the conditions. Vino hunts places that have a million targets. So he uses a Deus because it's like a machine gun in the trash. The T2 SE is perfect for the middle of nowhere sites that I hunt. I am far away from electricity and I'm in areas that normally aren't too trashy. I'm also looking for targets that can be 350 years old. They tend to be very deep. The T2 run wide open deeeeeeeep as hell. Nobody can dispute that. The CTX is said to be incredible at sniffing out silver coins and also gives much more stable vdi's than the T2 SE, especially at depth. All I know is that you're killing it and I hope it continues. I also know that I've found some super old and super deep stuff that I believe very very few machines would have hit. So basically all is right in the universe and this is gonna be an INCREDIBLE season. But now I got some catching up to do :-)
Abe, in the middle of nowhere I reach for the T2. I found that 1685 James 2nd coin 11" down I believe. Rang in as a 78. I'm not sure what would have happened with the CTX.

I use the CTX, and for that matter bought it, for the trashy ferrous garbage parks that I hit 90% of the time. I realized I love detecting but haven't much time for long hunts with two little ones. I'm lucky if I get an hour to hunt so trashy local parks is all I have time to hunt. I take days off from work when I hunt the old & far spots. Then it's T2 time!

Anyway, every day detecting is a blessing as I'm sure many on here understand. Feast or famine (6 weeks without a silver for me last sept/oct) we all share a common bond of the outdoors, a bit of dreaming, half-full glasses, and dirty dirty dirt. I'm stoked to have this streak, but pulling anything from the ground is awesome!

Last edited:

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
GO SCRAPPY GO ...maybe a nice piece of gold will interrupt your streak !!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
GO SCRAPPY GO ...maybe a nice piece of gold will interrupt your streak !!
Um....yeah, no thanks. If rather go for #11 and skip those lame gold coins;)

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Scrappy, I threw down the Gauntlet of my streak of 10 and you answered!!!!!!!! Now set the bar for us all to chase. Great going buddy, i hope it keeps going for you!! Will be watching to see! Big Congrats!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found a 1915 and 1919 wheat in great condition. I soaked them and was very surprised. I'll clean 'em up and take a snap to post.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found a 1915 and 1919 wheat in great condition. I soaked them and was very surprised. I'll clean 'em up and take a snap to post.

Just how bad is the digging there bud? Last February I was out with a hatchet in the woods. But it has been so cold this winter that I can barely chip the top.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just how bad is the digging there bud? Last February I was out with a hatchet in the woods. But it has been so cold this winter that I can barely chip the top.
Abe it's pretty brutal. The last few days the ground hasn't been frozen as "hard" but everything still comes out as chips and blocks. On average it's frozen 4-5" by me.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are those wheats I pulled. Compared to the ones I usually pull these are in great shape. Just wish it were a 1914-D or 1909 vdb-s

Attachments

• image-4092487445.jpg
    image-4092487445.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 67

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Time to break out that electric blanket. Just let it thaw out the ground for you and you at least can dig a hole to cure the itch. ;)

Hang in there!

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Scrappy!

I agree with previous posts. No one gets a 10- streak without off-the-charts tenacity. You're out there chipping blocks long after I threw in the towel until the spring thaw.

Way to go!

Kev

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is Scrappy, Go with IT, congrats!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it the CTX or the places you haunt or you
The CTX helps and so does the places you hunt, but the most important is how you search

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I was looking today and realized I have not hunted since the 23rd. Lord help me! I need to go to detectorist's anonymous!

16 days without a hunt. And there's 5" of snow on the ground covered by 1/4" of ice. Noooooooo!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found my tenth silver for the year today. All but 2 had been at places that I've hunt before. The one today was in a 2 foot wide easement that I had hunted before and I'm surprised I had missed it.

The key is that I am now running my CTX wide open and listening to the faint sounds and barely moving the coil to pick past the nails and junk. I have been digging a lot more nails, but also a lot more coins because of this. I dug a silver quarter last week and I had been over the spot 2-3 times before and I couldn't hardly tel it was there and it was only about 4 inches deep. The CTX is a great machine, but it has limitations in areas where there are nails.

I've found silver in about 6 of my last 9 hunts.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread