Old Newspaper Found Inside a Wall In My House!!!

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014

Hello Tnet! I found this old newspaper inside my wall today and I do not know too much about it. After doing some research and looking at it I found out that it talks about the Miwakke Braves dated Oct. 1st and the date I can not see because it is rolled up and it does not show. Any information would be great and I will post pictures in a little bit. Thank You
Jolteon

Upvote 4

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat find hopefully you can find some information on it. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Don't worry I am not the guy that lets a thread go I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for the comment!
Jolteon

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Before I forget Here are the pictures!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422069785.725028.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422069800.916704.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422069817.036728.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422069843.736304.jpg

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
There's also a mention of "Ike" which is most likely President Eisenhower who was President from 1953 - 1961 which coupled with the Milwaukee Braves reference and them being in that town from 53 to 65 fits right in. I also see the word doctrine which may (or may not) be reference to the Eisenhower Doctrine which was outlined in a speech he gave to Congress in January of 1957 basically allowing Middle Eastern states that felt threatened by outside aggression (i.e. the Soviet Union threatening the to enter Egypt via the Suez Canal during that time period) to ask the U.S. for foreign assistance. So you have a fairly tight year range that this paper probably was printed during. Just my two cents. Cool find!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
There's also a mention of "Ike" which is most likely President Eisenhower who was President from 1953 - 1961 which coupled with the Milwaukee Braves reference and them being in that town from 53 to 65 fits right in. I also see the word doctrine which may (or may not) be reference to the Eisenhower Doctrine which was outlined in a speech he gave to Congress in January of 1957 basically allowing Middle Eastern states that felt threatened by outside aggression (i.e. the Soviet Union threatening the to enter Egypt via the Suez Canal during that time period) to ask the U.S. for foreign assistance. So you have a fairly tight year range that this paper probably was printed during. Just my two cents. Cool find!

You are amazing I always saw Ike I just thought he was a baseball player. That explained why I could not find him on any roster. That is great information thank you!!!
Jolteon

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are amazing I always saw Ike I just thought he was a baseball player. That explained why I could not find him on any roster. That is great information thank you!!!
Jolteon

Oh my gosh , you make me feel older than I am. Ike, looking for him on a baseball teams roster, priceless! Back to the history books jolteon, lol...............JK buddy, cool find

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Oh my gosh , you make me feel older than I am. Ike, looking for him on a baseball teams roster, priceless! Back to the history books jolteon, lol...............JK buddy, cool find

This the reason why I feel home at treasurenet! I am very young miwakke brave was dead for decades before my time. I am blessed by my cache my other finds and the wonderful people on here!!!
Jolteon

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Now tell me if this a silly question but can I take the paper out of the wall without damaging the wall or the paper? Just wondering

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I don't think this is the same newspaper edition you have but it appears to be the same syndicated column and was probably published the same day as this one-

Attachments

• oldnewspaper.jpg
    oldnewspaper.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yep a lot of it looks similar but has some differences thank you for that I never saw that article!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly during the world series period of 1957, Braves Won!.....Joe McDonough

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now tell me if this a silly question but can I take the paper out of the wall without damaging the wall or the paper? Just wondering

Yes you may remove it, it is not a valuable document;however it may be very fragile once you try opening it. It has sat rolled up for the past 50 years so don't worry if it crumbles. Just watch out for the mice in the wall cavity, they may not like you stealing their newspaper.:laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter found a one hundred year old news paper in her house wall when renovating, but it crumbled there were adds for items in the cent range. They also had horse hair in the walls as insulation.
Congrats on your find!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
My daughter found a one hundred year old news paper in her house wall when renovating, but it crumbled there were adds for items in the cent range. They also had horse hair in the walls as insulation.
Congrats on your find!

Now i have heard of newspapers, posters, sponge, and many other this but hair that is clever yet insane!!!
Jolteon

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to mix horsehair with the plaster too, it worked kind of like they use fiberglass today, the strands kept it from cracking.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We once (when kids, and didn't know better) entered an abandoned farm house, and under the old lineolem found hundreds of old newspapers from around 1905-1910, acting as padding. Very nicely preserved, no yellowing yet. We brought them home and stored them for awhile, until parents found and discarded them as "trash".

Also, on the walls, behind the wallpaper, we found dozens of old printing plates from early local newspapers, all in embossed raised printing. Wonder if they are still there. This would have been in the late 1970's.

In the attic of the home we found and brought home many books printed in the mid to late 1800's. All discarded by parents later as "trash".

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you seal the wall back up, write your name and date on a stud. All good carpenters do that.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
We once (when kids, and didn't know better) entered an abandoned farm house, and under the old lineolem found hundreds of old newspapers from around 1905-1910, acting as padding. Very nicely preserved, no yellowing yet. We brought them home and stored them for awhile, until parents found and discarded them as "trash".

Also, on the walls, behind the wallpaper, we found dozens of old printing plates from early local newspapers, all in embossed raised printing. Wonder if they are still there. This would have been in the late 1970's.

In the attic of the home we found and brought home many books printed in the mid to late 1800's. All discarded by parents later as "trash".

I am very sorry to hear that! I found a 1800's spoon once and I put it on the taxable of my family property. The family thought it was silver wear and put it in the dishwasher nothing happened to it but it was scary!!!
Jolteon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread