Civil War bullets?? help

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some of these in an area that I'm also finding musket balls and minie balls. This site is in Rhode Island.

They have been found at the same depth at anywhere between 8 to 12 inches depending on the embankment I am working on.
I will be posting some more later today since I found about 17 total of the minie balls and about 8 of these 2 groove bullets I am also finding.

The bullets are 1/2 inch wide and weigh in at about 24.5 g

I tried looking online but can't find anything that resembles it close enough. They are solid flat on the bottom no dish or cavity and I did clean them up with a brass bristled brush to get the caked on dirt off. Some of the ones I have found do have that white collor to them although not as much as the minie balls.

I have also found a large Tombac button which I will post later today with the rest of the lead Found yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not think they are old shotgun slugs because of the depth I am finding them at and many are in dropped condition. I find modern smaller bullets also but these are much closer to the surface within 6 inches. The old lead is found at least 8 to 12 inches in the ground. Some even deeper.

Attachments

• unknown_2 groove.jpg
    unknown_2 groove.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 87
  • close_lead.jpg
    close_lead.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 3 ring underside.jpg
    3 ring underside.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for all the typos I had to correct, speech to text programs suck!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to tell looking at my phone. but the 5 x bullets next to the quarter appear to be fired Burnside carbine bullets. could also be fired Spencer's (my screen is really small). I would compare images of these two bullets together. but I lean more towards Burnside. Being in RI, my guess is someone brought their carbine home from the war and was hunting. Super common with Union soldiers mustering out. My ancestor paid $8 to keep his Burnside carbine when he mustered out. so did his three brothers... nice finds. but this is just an educated guess while looking in my tiny screen. someone on here should definitely nail it down who has access to a regular computer.

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked the Burnside bullets online and I have to agree with both of you, I found some pics of the same solid bottom ones I have. I am %99.9 sure you are correct. Thanks for the insight. as always everyone is always very helpful on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread