Pstrohm

May 29, 2013
Fort Drum NY
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found in Sackets Harbor, NY rare light Dragoons 1812 sword buckle

I did not find these today, but it is the 1st chance i got to post these, I was wondering how rare and what they could be worth. I believe the buckle is a Dragoons from the war in 1812 and the one is a Marine Hat plate. Thanks

Attachments

• buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 249
  • bucklesback.jpg
    bucklesback.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 240
  • backbrassbuckle.jpg
    backbrassbuckle.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!I don't know much about them,maybe someone will come along and give you some info. congratulations on them finds-welcome to Tnet-HH

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. I have never seen the 'pewter' (though it looks like brass) looking plate with that eagle on it before. by the back it looks early. I own a non-dug Marines plate like your hat plate. There were some of these that were Stokes-Kirk surplus. I paid $400 for mine. I believe that is an 'average' price. several came on the market over the last 2 years. but I have only seen one or two dug ones so your dug one may be worth more. the plain plate I would put at $300-350. the eagle plate would be hard to value as I have never seen it. it is not in any book I know of. the value would be better if the eagle stood out bettert. but I would venture to say $500-$1000 given the rarity. but if two collectors want it; who knows? real nice finds. would definitely make my year. I think your eagle plate is banner worthy given the rarity. actually the Marines plate I think is also banner worthy because these are exceedingly rare in dug condition. I have looked too because I have a non-dug one. I could only find two other dug examples and they were a mess. yours is the best I have seen. congrats on some awesome finds!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relics, love the hat plate!

Steve

OP
OP
P

Pstrohm

May 29, 2013
Fort Drum NY
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for giving me an idea of what they are worth, I don't believe I will ever sell them because of how rare they are. I gave the brass one to my brother and I keep the pewter eagle on top of my entertainment center so I can look at it everyday. I have been metal detecting for about 10 years now and they are my best finds so far. Thanks again for taking the time and research to help me.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those r so cool!!! Did u find both buckles on the same trip?? Congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! You don't see stuff like that posted very often. You are in a very historic area.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, is right. Great finds.
Instead of an eagle, some have pondered a "phoenix, instead. Wasn't it Thomas Jerfferson, wanted the national bird to be the turkey?
Thanks for sharing those. GL & HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread