Old Buttons, anyone seen these before?

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these in an area with some other civil war stuff. Eagle I buttons and bullets. The first two pictures look kinda yellow from the light I was using. The second button feels like glass, maybe, very light. I haven't seen these before? Thanks.

IMAG0445_edited.jpg . IMAG0444_edited.jpg . IMAG0441_edited.jpg IMAG0442_edited.jpg

Upvote 4

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first button looks like a London import, going by the eagle on the back,can you make out the back mark?The second one I am not sure it is a button?I found some similar to it and never was really sure what they where.I will try to find them to post.i would like to know what they are myself.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one looks like it has some kind of white glass in the face.Reminds me of something from the mid 20th century?Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know. 011.JPG 012.JPG

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so it is a button!How where they attached to the cloth?that is what always threw me off is the back.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Face on the red button..looks like (Old Hickory) Andrew Jackson...his tomb stone states "I Licked the Bankers"
Gary

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one with the white center reminds me of a button cover. Sweet finds!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a wax seal stamp but it's not reversed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Jacobsdt; The first button is American from about 1820. It was a coat button. The Back reads Treble GPLite and the Eagle is an American Heraldic Eagle from that period. The second is a button dating to the 1860's or so. The shank on the back would slide through the button hole and if you look at the top of the shank there is a Vertical piece that actually twisted sideways to lock it onto the dress. Yes it was a woman's button worn kind of like a brooch only at the top of her dress running in a row down the front for 4 - 5 buttons strong ok. They also were worn on the collar of a woman's dress in a set of 2 buttons ok. The style of glass I believe is called Cornelian ok.
Digiron, yours is more dated to 1880 - 1920 and it is also glass ok. Nice Finds. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker you are the button man .thanks you!My mistake about the first button as well.I guess I didn't catch the eagles head facing the right way.

OP
OP
Jacobsdt

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI Jacobsdt; The first button is American from about 1820. It was a coat button. The Back reads Treble GPLite and the Eagle is an American Heraldic Eagle from that period. The second is a button dating to the 1860's or so. The shank on the back would slide through the button hole and if you look at the top of the shank there is a Vertical piece that actually twisted sideways to lock it onto the dress. Yes it was a woman's button worn kind of like a brooch only at the top of her dress running in a row down the front for 4 - 5 buttons strong ok. They also were worn on the collar of a woman's dress in a set of 2 buttons ok. The style of glass I believe is called Cornelian ok.
Digiron, yours is more dated to 1880 - 1920 and it is also glass ok. Nice Finds. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Thank you so much for the info Barker, I haven't been at this very long and I am learning so much from this website. A lot of knowledgeable people here. Thanks everyone!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glass one is a type of cufflink.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DI2....is yours maybe a button cover?
Nice finds Jacob and great ID's Barker.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with the date range of the second button, it could be one of those locking button clips you descibe, but its not Carnelian gemstone, only immitation glass.

PS, OK, I see you stated 'style' of glass, which is correct, sorry.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DI2....is yours maybe a button cover?
Nice finds Jacob and great ID's Barker.
I really don't know Old Dude,I found this larger with it,I couldn't find it last night when I posted the other one? 002.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't know Old Dude,I found this larger with it,I couldn't find it last night when I posted the other one? View attachment 1110735 View attachment 1110736

Hard to tell from your pic, but the back would slip over the top of a button to " dress up " clothing. The following find is a shoe button cover ( from the era when women's shoes buttoned up instead of laced up ).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422317911.881850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422318006.407884.jpg

My apologies for getting off track from your original post, Jacob

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds! Thank you for sharing.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crusader; Thanks. That buttons shank is to long to have been used as a cufflink. It would have been lost before it got used. The design I believe is of Christopher Columbus as he was considered the Founder of America and as such a Patron of Sailors of that time ok. It may have been used by a Mother or Wife of a Sailor Son or Husband ok.
It acted like a kind of good luck charm more than it was considered a button ok. I don't think it was Andrew Jackson as he is wearing a hat of the style used by Columbus with his hair coming down the sides ok. Also, Jacksons face was more longer and thinner that would render his face on that button much thinner ok. Just look at the face on a $20 bill Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread